Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by Georgee Paris »

I think I know the answer but what happened to iron spine.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

When Bob Marley sang No Woman No Cry, was he meaning

1. Dearest, no need to cry, everything will be OK, or
2. A man is happier when he is single?

I think I have been misinterpreting those lyrics.
jastons
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 851 likes

Post by jastons »

I'm looking to rent a flat from an estate agent. They have asked for a holding fee. This means they will take the flat off the market while they carry out background checks. If they decide to turn me down, will I lose the holding fee?
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1669 likes
Total likes: 518 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

prophet:marginal wrote:When Bob Marley sang No Woman No Cry, was he meaning

1. Dearest, no need to cry, everything will be OK, or
2. A man is happier when he is single?

I think I have been misinterpreting those lyrics.
women in the trench town ghetto had a hard life, this is a song of comfort and tribute to the people of that community

here's the meaning of it according to bobmarley.com

"No Woman No Cry," a deeply personal reminiscence of Bob's impoverished life in Trench Town. The songwriting credit was given to V. Ford, more commonly known among his brethren as Tartar. Had it not been for Tartar's kitchen, Bob would literally have starved on occasion. And there really was a "Georgie" who would keep the fire light as the boys played until the early hours of the morning.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

:thup:
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

sendô wrote:It's not just buses. I live on a main road, and can think of numerous occasions when I've had the back end of the car half hanging out, and people have either driven around me, or the best one ever when some soppy doris drove around me and then stopped dead behind me because there was traffic in front of her.

Suffice to say the kids learnt a few new words that day.
People (especially around our way) are awful drivers. no consideration at all.

same as yourself on a main road.. I try to reverse onto the drive to avoid reversing out

I will stop past my drive way (indicating I am pulling over) put my reversing lights on and then wait for a gap.. 8/10 cars will go around me .. some even beep?! sorry is it a crime to park on my own drive..

even the police don't wait and just drive around.. (non blue lights)

If I know ive parked my second car down the bottom of the shared drive ill swing the car on and just turn it round on the drive to avoid the beeping.. even then signal left to pull in and people go round as I am turning onto my drive
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 2710 likes

Post by sendô »

mumbles87 wrote: even the police don't wait and just drive around.. (non blue lights)
A police car once stopped my missus when she was trying to reverse out and told her she wasn't allowed to do it - a complete ignorance of the highway code. I'd have probably got myself into trouble arguing with them if I'd been there.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

sendô wrote: A police car once stopped my missus when she was trying to reverse out and told her she wasn't allowed to do it - a complete ignorance of the highway code. I'd have probably got myself into trouble arguing with them if I'd been there.
not sure if there is something in this... I will have to properly research.. I was on a speed awareness course a few weeks back and the lady running it asked how many of us reverse off our driveways, few hands went up, she said reconsider because you are not insured if you do and where do you put your kids? everyone sort of nodded.. Not sure if its something they have changed recently.. I always try and reverse on.. my mrs drives on so I told her and she just went "oh that's fine I always turn it round on the drive or make you park it... so doesn't affect me" cheeky cow.

quick check says this

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/using-t ... rsing.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"201
Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can"

I would say that it ISNT illegal and you can do it..
sendô

Post by sendô »

It is 100% not illegal and you can do it. The bird on your driving course is waffling out of her minge about the not insured part.

Honestly on my road I consider it more dangerous reversing in. The other thing to consider is the lack of clarity between what is a "main" and "side" road.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

sendô wrote:It is 100% not illegal and you can do it. The bird on your driving course is waffling out of her minge about the not insured part.

Honestly on my road I consider it more dangerous reversing in. The other thing to consider is the lack of clarity between what is a "main" and "side" road.
Had it again this afternoon

3 cars overtook me whilst I was waiting to reverse

The last one almost got taken out by a car coming the other way.. you have clear line of sight around so he had no excuse just impatient

Then when I started reversing a car was 300 yards maybe more away with loads of traffic blocking his way around .. bibbed his horn

Waiting 30 seconds to a minute is too much for some
sendô

Post by sendô »

That's why I drive in, reverse off.
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

Does NEIL Warnock / Colin ****er wear a toupee/wig?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2014 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Georgee Paris wrote:Does NEIL Warnock / Colin ****er wear a toupee/wig?
His eyebrows have defintely gone for a burton, so wouldnt mind betting his barnett has too.

Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

Just seemed to have happen over night. I’m sure no one will mention this when we play Cardiff. :thup:
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

I bet West Ham are funding his wig budget, I expect the trauma suffered, from Sheffield Utd's tragic relegation all those years ago, caused his traumatic hair loss.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:

view from the shires
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by view from the shires »

sendô wrote:The other thing to consider is the lack of clarity between what is a "main" and "side" road.
Roads have numbers, so if you are reversing off a road with a lower designation (or no designation) onto road with a higher designation you are in the wrong if there is an accident. eg reversing from a B road to an A road. If it is your driveway it is definitely classed as a side road.

If you saw someone reversing out of a junction on a road rather than driving normally you would think they were a little bit unusual..........................unless they were in a Kia. :lol:
sendô

Post by sendô »

view from the shires wrote:If it is your driveway it is definitely classed as a side road.
1. Your driveway is not classed as a side road, it is classed as your driveway. The highway code recognises this and comments accordingly.

2. Not all roads have numbers/letters - in fact most don't. In a general built up area, what is there to tell me which roads are "main" and which are "side" other than a general observation on busyness or the size of the road - something that is massively open to interpretation.

Of course let us not forget that a part of the driving test is doing 2 "manoeuvres", one of which is reversing around a corner from one road into another (something I've always found odd as a 3 point turn is significantly easier, safer and more common practise).
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

The side road is the one with the double dashed give way markings at the end of it. The main road is the road that goes into.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2014 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

The highway code must be one of the most out of date pieces of literature still in circulation.