Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Boleyn Hound

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by The Boleyn Hound »

Czech Hammer wrote:What was happening twenty minutes before the big bang?
Time only started to exist at the point of the big bang, so the concept of a "before" makes no sense.

Hard to get your head around, I know, but time is as much a property that we perceive as space, distances, material etc. are.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

When flying somewhere, why does the plane sometimes take a strange route? For instance if you fly to NYC the plane flys up towards Canada, passes Greenland ( i think) and then down to NYC. Why not fly in a straight line? Is it to do with international airspace or other flying routes? I understand it must be pretty busy 30,00ft up.
The Boleyn Hound

Post by The Boleyn Hound »

Cockneyboy311 wrote:When flying somewhere, why does the plane sometimes take a strange route? For instance if you fly to NYC the plane flys up towards Canada, passes Greenland ( i think) and then down to NYC. Why not fly in a straight line? Is it to do with international airspace or other flying routes? I understand it must be pretty busy 30,00ft up.
Take a look at a globe and you can see that this is not such a strange route after all - it's probably more/just as direct. The earth bulges in the middle.

We're so used to seeing flat maps of the earth, but they distort the distances involved.

Also they will bear in mind things like the Jet Stream which they can use to push them along a bit, and the absence of population centres.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Other the explanation given by BH, airliners cannot just fly anywhere. There are pre-designated air routes - like motorways in the sky, albeit 3-dimensional - that airliners have to take.

Here's a better explanation....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01b77bj
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

Why do petrol prices always end in .9?
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

Hammer Laffers wrote:Why do petrol prices always end in .9?
Same reason that a new car costs 15995. To make the number appear smaller, thus fooling people who are thick that something's cheaper than it is.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

BPRIGGSC wrote:Also, one other un-related question. Am I the only person who feels sick every morning, from the smell of smoke and coffee as soon as I leave the station?

I know some people enjoy that stuff in the morning, but God it makes me feel awful!
Reminds me of my very first experience of Holland....

Got the ferry over with 3 mates, we got stuck into cheap liquor on the night crossing, got on the train, had to change at Rotterdam, so the plan was to get off and mooch about for an hour or so in our hideously hungover states, before getting the connection.
As my foot hit the platform floor, the over-powering smell of coffee and butter-rich pastries hit me, and I instantly went into projectile vomit mode....

Still can't stand the smell of croissants and all that stuff
Billy_Boy
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by Billy_Boy »

Cockneyboy311 wrote:When flying somewhere, why does the plane sometimes take a strange route? For instance if you fly to NYC the plane flys up towards Canada, passes Greenland ( i think) and then down to NYC. Why not fly in a straight line? Is it to do with international airspace or other flying routes? I understand it must be pretty busy 30,00ft up.
Can't explain that (although the previous post about two dimensional maps distorting our perception is pertinent) but I do know that civilian planes are routed away from any active airborne military activity. Civilian aircraft did not, I am told, fly over Afghanistan for a long time.
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

There's also the fact that many aircraft are not permitted to be more than 4 hours from an airport, so flying over oceans isn't always allowed.
Billy_Boy
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by Billy_Boy »

Philosophical Dan wrote:There's also the fact that many aircraft are not permitted to be more than 4 hours from an airport, so flying over oceans isn't always allowed.
Out of curiosity, was that one of the reasons that the 'Icelandic volcanic dust-cloud' caused so many civil aviation problems? I'd imagine that if Keflavik airport was out of bounds, transatlantic flights would have been more than 4 hours from an airport. :eh:
the oldham stripper
Duke Nuke 'em
Location: for 25 years I've lived with fear. i sometimes wish I'd never met her

Post by the oldham stripper »

winds, the planes follow the trade winds so they are always directly behind them to save fuel
EastHammer

Post by EastHammer »

why why why delilah?
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

delbert wrote:The big build up......
On a supernova buttercup.
jevs
Has liked: 473 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

the oldham stripper wrote:
winds, the planes follow the trade winds so they are always directly behind them to save fuel
Thought the trade winds went from Africa, across the Atlantic, to the Caribbean :?
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Not something I've 'always' wanted to know...

But, the best Fish & Chips in Brighton?

I'm heading there on Saturday. I've read about a few places - Bardsleys coming out on top, but I get the impression that this is one of those 'everyone says it's great, but the proper locals who know their stuff, think it's overrated and overpriced' sort of places.

I've read about Sung Li? Or something like that?

Preferably, somewhere bang on the front. Regency?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

the oldham stripper wrote:
jevs wrote:Thought the trade winds went from Africa, across the Atlantic, to the Caribbean :?
I think he means the jet stream. The trade winds were the prevailing winds that were used during the age of sail to cross the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

RARS, I always used to go to Bankers, but it was just round the corner from my house :)
http://goo.gl/maps/zEzhH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <- This one at the bottom of Ship Street right on the front is good, but is expensive (I think it was £8.50 each for cod & chips last time I was there).
Irish Iron

Post by Irish Iron »

LeeWHU88 wrote:What does the saying 'making my piss' actually mean lol.
In every community or group of friends there is always a defining moment where one brave person steps away from the crowd to make his stand in the name of freedom, fairness, justice or good ol’ Country ‘n’ Western. Lost in the annals of Hall of Fame obscurity one such Snug resident was an hero called dicksie (small ‘d’, very important that. You will get called out on it).

dicksie took to the forums to inform us of a very unsavoury occurrence that befell him and his lady wife while they were out enjoying the musical musing of some Country ‘n’ Western singer, who’s name I didn’t know from Adam then and escapes me now. Apparently dicksie was upset by the antics of a fellow audience member, I think he could have jostled his missus or something or spilt his pint, who the f*** knows.

So anyway, dicksie in a fit of pique did what every self-respecting West Ham fan would have done and went and ‘made his piss’, came back and gave the poor fellow ‘the crossed arms’.

Well this is the Snug so it is fair to say that dicksie got some gentle ribbing over his choice of wording which I guess was the straw that broke the camels back after all he’d been through and was never seen again. It remains a mystery whether or not before he deleted his KUMB account he made his piss and gave his computer screen the crossed arms. I like to think he did.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

I thought it was at a pre-season friendly when West Ham went to the US, some blokes were giving him the verbal and so, as he got up to "make his piss" he gave them the crossed arms so as to make them fully aware of his allegiance.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Cheers Del, I did hear about Bankers. Seems like it may be in with a shout :thup: