Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by warp »

vietnammer wrote:Up to yours really. You might enjoy it.
fixed it for you Image
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

ageing hammer wrote:The pop up adverts while I am on here are now advertising all gay cruises, should I be concerned.
Knowing you ageing I'd be more surprised if there was ads for straight cruises...
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

:D
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

sendô wrote: I don't know, but I can only assume we produce the majority of the plastic in the pacific ocean given the way BBC Breakfast was lecturing me this morning.
Not just me that saw that apocalyptic news story then?
AnthraxDave
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by AnthraxDave »

Where do Moths go during the day?
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

in your mother's knickers
prince_huggy
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by prince_huggy »

AnthraxDave wrote:Where do Moths go during the day?
My wallet
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

ageing hammer wrote:Where did the expression when feeling poorly "I'm feeling under the weather" come from.
You don't say I'm feeling above the weather when feeling good. :)
Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:It's a naval saying apparently. Was used to refer to seasickness.
Correct.
Us being an island & very sea-faring, we have loads & loads of sayings that have a nautical origin.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

Injury or not, how come the recently £25m Yannick Bolasie is now playing on loan in the championship?
sendô

Post by sendô »

the celestial insect wrote:Injury or not, how come the recently £25m Yannick Bolasie is now playing on loan in the championship?
Everton have bought a few players in his position since his injury though, haven't they?
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

sendô wrote: Everton have bought a few players in his position since his injury though, haven't they?
I can understand Everton wanting to move him on, but I'm baffled that a £25m player, who not so long ago was highly rated, didn't get better offers from the prem or abroad. Seems a massive drop to me. Sign of the times maybe.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

DasNutNock wrote:DL - one for you. Is it 3 license points, if you don't let a bus pull out (if it starts indicating right before you begin to pass it)?
No, the highway code states to let buses out if it is safe to do so. It's not a MUST in the highway code, which are the ones that incur a penalty by way of fine and/or points.

However, if the bus has indicated and already started to move in front of you (as in you're still behind it when it starts to move) and you decide to go around it and have an accident (hit the bus, another vehicle etc) then you would be at fault.
sendô

Post by sendô »

^ I'm not sure that's relevant to a bus per se, and it'd be down to arguing over whether the bus pulled out on you I'd imagine? I mean, if a car pulled out ahead of me, and I decided to overtake and then had a crash cutting back in, that's on me regardless isn't it? Buses don't get carte blanche to just indicate and start moving out though.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

^^^^ I used to regularly see the final reports of Car Vs Bus CCTV incidents and claims from the 3rd party where they've started to over take once the bus has it's right hand indicator on and has started to pull away.

I've never seen one where the 3rd party hasn't been found liable - and I've seen a hell of a lot.

Whilst you're right, it's not carte blanche, but, the reality is, once a bus has started indicating, it's usually more dangerous for bus and vehicle going past to attempt to go around it - it's a deliberate act.

Personally, I'd change the highway code so that it's a mandatory instruction - you MUST give way to buses pulling out.

Yes, it may delay your journey by a minute or so (most vehicles that don't let you out I end up catching at the next set of lights anyway) - but it's safer for everyone. It's not like going around a 12 foot long car. You've got up to 40ft to clear safely whilst not causing other road users coming towards you to brake.

My biggest bug-bear are the ****ers that go round you whilst you're trying to creep away and filter in, only to stop right in front of you to turn right...
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

-DL- wrote:Personally, I'd change the highway code so that it's a mandatory instruction - you MUST give way to buses pulling out.
I'm broadly in agreement here, they should get clear, mandatory, priority, but wouldn't that mean that as soon as you pull over, all traffic behind you has to stop, regardless of whether or not they have room to safely pass, in case you decide to pull out as they're passing you?
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Nothing to stop vehicles passing if the left hand indicator has stopped, and of course, like presently, there should also be caution by the bus driver before pulling off, but once the right hand indicator is on, people have to stop. It wouldn't be hard.

No word of exaggeration, but there have been times I've had my right hand indicator on and 20+ vehicles have gone past, because obviously their journey is more important than the 65-70 people on board the bus...

Frustratingly, even police vehicles in normal traffic and not blue light don't even let us out most of the time.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

No, I hear you, and I definitely get annoyed when I see people ignoring RH signals on buses, although it's rarely a surprise, what with everyone being the centre of the universe and all that.
sendô

Post by sendô »

It's not just buses. I live on a main road, and can think of numerous occasions when I've had the back end of the car half hanging out, and people have either driven around me, or the best one ever when some soppy doris drove around me and then stopped dead behind me because there was traffic in front of her.

Suffice to say the kids learnt a few new words that day.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1856 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

-DL- wrote:..................................................

but once the right hand indicator is on, people have to stop. It wouldn't be hard.

I can already envisage bus drivers indicating right even before they've opened the doors to let passengers on and off...
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

I'm neither here or there on the merits or dangers of f-r-a-c-king* but, what magnitude of tremor will it need to reach before they actually give up f-r-a-c-king* at the Little Plumpton site in Lancashire?
They've had two 0.8 tremors on Friday & Saturday & now today, a 1.1

*Swear filter definitely does not like ****ing.