Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by WHU_Del »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:I thought I spotted a London Underground tattoo on Jonjo Shelvey on the box the other day. Anyone got an idea what station it is?
Harold Hill, even though that's not a tube station, and it's not written in capitals:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Was DL on last weeks episode of The Graham Norton Show?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... -episode-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check it out from 42:30
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Neither is it written in the correct font (Johnston).

Amateur.
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

Where does the phrase "Jesus Christ on a ****ing bike" or "Christ on a bike"?

Just saw it in the match thread and made me laugh (even though it was after Randolph had ballsed up for their 2nd).
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Came down from heaven on a Yamaha?
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Was DL on last weeks episode of The Graham Norton Show?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... -episode-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check it out from 42:30
Party on Wayne :D
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

Has human hair started growing faster? There a proliferation of Turkish Barbers in my town. We used to have 3 barbers shops max in the town, we now have 6 with another one due to open and all 4 of the new shops are Turkish.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Francoisvander or else wrote:Has human hair started growing faster? There a proliferation of Turkish Barbers in my town. We used to have 3 barbers shops max in the town, we now have 6 with another one due to open and all 4 of the new shops are Turkish.
Due to terrorism issues, the economy in Turkey around the tourist resorts sadly has pretty much halved over the last few years. I suspect there's quite a few come over to join the families already here to try their luck here. Without typecasting it's that or a restaurant/ takeaway as something they know well.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Francoisvander or else wrote:Has human hair started growing faster? There a proliferation of Turkish Barbers in my town. We used to have 3 barbers shops max in the town, we now have 6 with another one due to open and all 4 of the new shops are Turkish.
Metrosexuals.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Crossed eyed people. How does that work, do they see two images?
1875Hammer

Post by 1875Hammer »

sendô wrote:Crossed eyed people. How does that work, do they see two images?
Yes. Everybody with 2 eyes sees 2 images.
sendô

Post by sendô »

Yes, but they can't focus both eyes on the same point can they? So they're two completely separate imges, rather than with most people it's the same thing viewed from slightly different angles?
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Back to the barbers issue, there is some kind of traditional 'thing' about Turkish Barbers. Barbers in Saudi would advertise themselves as Turkish. I've noticed for some years that (as said above) the number of these gaffs has grown in the UK. It's not so much Turkish as Kurdish (it seems). I used to get me buzz-cut from a Turkish bloke in Loughborough and me last one from a place called Erbil (Iraqi Kurdistan) in Sheffield.

Then again I used to go to a bloke called Lucas in Romford and he was Armenian
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

sendô wrote:Yes, but they can't focus both eyes on the same point can they? So they're two completely separate imges, rather than with most people it's the same thing viewed from slightly different angles?
The brain does a lot of the work in "fusing" both images together - presumably cross-eyed people's brains have to work harder to create a 3D picture of the world around them?
Bitter 'n' Twisted

Post by Bitter 'n' Twisted »

sendô wrote:Crossed eyed people. How does that work, do they see two images?
1875Hammer wrote:Yes. Everybody with 2 eyes sees 2 images.
Actually most of the time we don't "see" anything! Our brains paints a picture in our mind of what we believe to be there until we notice something new. That is why things appear to "pop up" in places and surprise us.

In fact when you turn your head (with open eyes) your brain 'turns off' your eyes completely. Otherwise you would experience motion sickness. (Doing this in new environments causes the brain to apply a type of correction similar to 'image stabilisation' found in cameras today). What you think you are seeing during this time is in fact recent memories of the various view points. That is why you can not scan a room you have never been in before as quickly as a familiar room. It's also why you sometimes find your car keys or phone where you think you have already looked!

But I have seen West Ham win the FA Cup… at least I think I have
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

sendô wrote:Yes, but they can't focus both eyes on the same point can they? So they're two completely separate imges, rather than with most people it's the same thing viewed from slightly different angles?
DasNutNock wrote: The brain does a lot of the work in "fusing" both images together - presumably cross-eyed people's brains have to work harder to create a 3D picture of the world around them?
What normally happens is that the brain suppresses the image of the weaker eye. (A lot depends on the
disparity between the visual acuity of each eye) resulting in the condition called amblyopia (lazy eye)
where the vision in the weaker eye is poor at best near-blind at worst. Fusion of the two images is highly
unlikely unless the problem is dealt with in childhood.People with amblyopia struggle to judge distance and depth.
Speaking personally, I was embarrassingly bad at small ball games like tennis, and I cannot hang a picture "straight" or cut straight or plane level. The act of reading is very tiring, for some reason.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Solar Panels

Anyone got them on the roof, if so how much does it cost, how much does it save and how long before you see a return on the cost?
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:how long before you see a return on the cost?
in england? about 832 years i'd guess.
sendô

Post by sendô »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Solar Panels

Anyone got them on the roof, if so how much does it cost, how much does it save and how long before you see a return on the cost?
Need to do some maths chap.

Area you can cover and so amount of kwh expected to be generated in a year - divided from current cost of electricity, knowing roughly how much you use in a year, plus install costs.

There's also the option of exporting to the grid, if they'll have it.
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

How much do solar panels weigh?