Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Algarve Hammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by Algarve Hammer »

Monkeybubbles wrote:Drury Lane ham. Why Drury Lane?

Maybe because it's a Sainsbury's product and their first store was in Drury lane?

Just a thought.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Or it makes a change from muffins
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Why are matches called matches? It was a question on Pointless tonight and the chemist who invented them initially called them 'friction lights'.

There were no poncy marketing and brand consultants in those days, so who coined the name?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

pablo jaye wrote:Why are matches called matches? It was a question on Pointless tonight and the chemist who invented them initially called them 'friction lights'.

There were no poncy marketing and brand consultants in those days, so who coined the name?
It's the old name for the cord used in firearms (hence the name "matchlock") and also the length of time it burned (hence the term "quick match" and "slow match").
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Where does the term "ducking and diving" come from?
1875Hammer

Post by 1875Hammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Where does the term "ducking and diving" come from?
Rhyming slang for skiving.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Bleach and anti bacterial cleaning products claim to kill 99.9% of all known bacteria. Where do they get this number from, and can they prove it?
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

jastons wrote:Bleach and anti bacterial cleaning products claim to kill 99.9% of all known bacteria. Where do they get this number from, and can they prove it?
The reason why they say 99.99% is because they can prove this amount of bacteria has been killed, the remaining 0.001% they cannot prove as they do not have the technology to see smaller bacteria yet.

"When a marketing claim of “kills 99.9% of germs” is used, it may or may not kill the specific variety of bacteria or pathogen you need killed. By law, disinfectants must list the microorganisms which a product has been tested for and found to be effective against on their label, as well as proper dilution and directions for use. Check the label for the specific pathogens you need protection from."

Hope this helps!
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

pablo jaye wrote:Why are matches called matches? It was a question on Pointless tonight and the chemist who invented them initially called them 'friction lights'.

Weren't they known as 'Lucifers' at one time?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Why do most fridges have internal lighting and freezers dont?
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

So it's more difficult to see the body.
view from the shires
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by view from the shires »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Why do most fridges have internal lighting and freezers dont?
Our freezer does......................but the handle has broken off and it is a swine to open (chest freezer)
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Why do most fridges have internal lighting and freezers dont?
Probably because you are more likely to get something out of the fridge for a midnight snack than the freezer, unless it's ice cream, therefore needing a light to see what you want.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Our freezer has a light, at the back of the top shelf. Put something on it and the light is rendered useless. So useless in fact that it blew years ago and I haven't bothered replacing it.
Burningaham

Post by Burningaham »

vintage bikes - anyone have any knowledge about registration?

I might buy another Scooter & it is registered in 1962 as a 150cc, but has been fitted with a modern 125cc engine. I know it is tax exempt - I don't think it is MOT exempt as it would need to be pre-1960

My question is, what level of license is needed to ride it - registered as 150, but is actually 125?
& if I needed to, could I re-register it as a 125, but keep the original registration as 1962?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Burningaham wrote:vintage bikes - anyone have any knowledge about registration?

I might buy another Scooter & it is registered in 1962 as a 150cc, but has been fitted with a modern 125cc engine. I know it is tax exempt - I don't think it is MOT exempt as it would need to be pre-1960

My question is, what level of license is needed to ride it - registered as 150, but is actually 125?
& if I needed to, could I re-register it as a 125, but keep the original registration as 1962?
If you have no bike license at all, the minimum you'll need is a CBT (days course, cost around £100)

If it's got a 125 engine (I'm presuming it's a Vespa) but registered as 150cc, you're going to need to re-register as you can't re-ride anything more than a 125cc on a CBT. This is done through the V5 and send it to DVLA. Just put the new engine number and CC and that's it. It DOESN'T change the year. I'm pretty sure of that.
If you don't bother, you'll have a hard time convincing the old bill it's a 125 if you only have a CBT and they'll do you for not registering it properly which will invalidate your insurance. You're far better off just coming clean with the right details on engine size. Hike on insurance between the two is negligible.

* WAIT UNTIL MAY TO DO ANY REGISTERING - THE 40 YEAR MOT EXEMPTION WILL KICK IN (MAY 2018)

There's some documentation about it here, although as is in-keeping with government legislation, it's as clear as mud on this issue ...

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... idance.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Why is it called a hat trick when a player scores three goals? I always understood the tradition that they're given a hat to commemorate it (or perhaps the match ball these days.) I genuinely don't know and can't be bothered to Google it.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hat+trick

The term first appeared in 1858 in cricket, to describe H. H. Stephenson's taking three wickets with three consecutive deliveries. Fans held a collection for Stephenson, and presented him with a hat bought with the proceeds. The term was used in print for the first time in 1865.
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Why can birds sit on high voltage cables and not get electrocuted?
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

rigoberts song wrote:Why can birds sit on high voltage cables and not get electrocuted?
When they sit on a single wire, there's no notable potential difference between their two feet. Current just continues to pass through the cable, rather than the higher resistance of the bird's body.