Kids / Youth football

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Kids / Youth football

Postby 1011Iron on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:31 am

Yeah, seem pretty sensible.

The only one I'll struggle with is the not shouting (encouragement) out!

Doesn't say anything about not throwing carrots at the oppo centre-half though...
1011Iron

Postby chigwells finest on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:33 pm

sensible on paper , but seriously does anybody think any of those new rules will happen and if they did, you're not going to get parents/coaches to keep schtuum during games .
chigwells finest

Postby screech on Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:02 pm

lots of them rules are in place already at my boys club
but some of those rules are just unreasonable
slide tackles for example, at what age does a child learn to tackle? also how can the ref (that will be a parent) decide when is best to sin bin a player for 5 mins for such "offence"
we have kids in our team that are excellent defenders and such tackles are a big part of their game.
a pro club head of academy said to my boy last week, concentrate on defending as you are excellent at defending and in a few years time clubs will be screaming out for defenders as everyone is busy concentraing on developing the next messi and ronaldo where they all want attacking players.
the man has a point and to discourage a certain tackle from the kids game only puts defensive players back a few years. also in the last 4 years of me watching youth football every week i have never seen a child injured from a sliding tackle
screech

Postby screech on Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:12 pm

retreat line rule, so a keeper picks the ball up and the oppo have to retreat! how do players learn to play under pressure, how does the oppo learn to attack and what positions to be in, in those scenarios?
retreating should only happen when the ball goes out of play
when i ref and the ball goes out of play i make the attacking team retreat to halfway and the keeper takes his spot kick that allows the team to play out from the back.
last week we were at a match and an official league referee was there and he said the official rule for u9 (our age group) was that when the ball goes out of play the attacking team retreats to the half way line but its the defending teams perogative as to when they play the ball. an example was our boys were all jogging back to the halfway line with their backs to the ball and the keeper played whilst our players were still in their half.
totally acceptable said the ref
screech

Postby screech on Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:21 pm

equal game time
as much as clubs like to say they give equal game time, i can't see how this would benefit the game?
players should be rewarded on merit not have minutes given to them just because they are in a team.
child A goes training twice a week, gives his all, is respectfull to his coach and team mates
child B trains when he feels like it, can't be arsed, greedy and selfish and answers back to the coach

now is it fair that both them children get equal gametime every week?
also by having a child that has talent and is a good team player gets dropped for equal gametime for a child that has not much ability to make the rules fair?
teams should be based on talent and trtaining should be mixed.
my boys academy has team training on a wednesday that each team trains individually and on a saturday is a 2 hour session that is based on player development and is done by age group and not ability
screech

Postby west ham15 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:09 pm

Just got my 5 year old daughter playing football, So far so good she seems to be enjoying it always has a smile on her face and wants to go!

Got her training on Mondays in a hall and then on Saturdays she’s training on a really nice pitch with a local team.

Wish she would use the same energy she has at home! She don’t run with the football much , Hopefully that will come with time when she gets more confident.
west ham15

Postby screech on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:29 pm

west ham15 wrote:Just got my 5 year old daughter playing football, So far so good she seems to be enjoying it always has a smile on her face and wants to go!

Got her training on Mondays in a hall and then on Saturdays she’s training on a really nice pitch with a local team.

Wish she would use the same energy she has at home! She don’t run with the football much , Hopefully that will come with time when she gets more confident.

I don’t suppose you were at Futsal last night with her was you in loughton??
screech

Postby west ham15 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:57 pm

Inside Roding school hall? Training with Gavin? If so yes i was :)
west ham15

Postby screech on Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:17 pm

Yeah I was there also :lol:
I was one of the first ones there, my boy was trying to reach the basketball nets whilst your daughter and missus were running laps
screech

Postby west ham15 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:38 pm

screech wrote:Yeah I was there also
I was one of the first ones there, my boy was trying to reach the basketball nets whilst your daughter and missus were running laps

****ing hell its a small world :lol: Yeah i remember !!!

She has only been there twice but seems to enjoy it and on Saturday she is playing with Colebrook Royals.
west ham15

Postby Up the Junction on Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:44 pm

That Mirror list is a trial in Manchester, no plans to roll out nationwide (thank goodness).

Five minutes into reffing my first game of the season (U10s) I had a manager storm onto the pitch, call me a ****ing prick and square up to me - all because I had the audacity to pull his son up for questioning every decision I'd made to that point (the apple not falling too far from the tree).

Fortunately the game was allowed to continue after the gentlemen saw the error of his ways and left the ground (after which point his son was an angel). It's good to be back!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby screech on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:34 am

this weekend in the echo league for ages u7 up to u10 will be silent football
it just so happens to be on rememberance sunday as well which is a nice touch
for those that dont know silent football is when the only ones allowed to talk are the kids playing and the referee
this should enable the kids to think for themselves and make their own decisions on the pitch.
games are split into four quarters instead of two halves so that the coaches have extra coaching time to advise and direct the kids for the next quarter.
parents stay silent throughout and can only clap for goals scored or for effort with strictly no shouting from the sidelines
we done this last year and after the initial shock of the silence the kids got on with the game and enjoyed it.
my boy said they all thought they had done something wrong as no one was making any noise :lol:
we have also arranged a friendly in beckton on saturday to practice and let the boys adjust to the silence before our league game on sunday.
if anyone dosen't have to do this in their league have a word with your league rep as it really is an excellent experience for the kids
screech

Postby Up the Junction on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:53 pm

My team (D4 last season) had a last 16 Cup game today against one of the (D1) favourites. We turned them over 2-1, a huge upset, and it was fantastic to see the players and the parents/family celebrate together.

Football is a passionate game, I think the day our League insist we play 'silent football' is the day I knock it on the head. Hopefully common sense will prevail.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Previous

Return to The Snug