Kids / Youth football

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Kids / Youth football

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:47 pm

my sons team finished 3rd in the Eastern Alliance u16s London division - big turnaround as they finished bottom last year.

hes playing for the U18s next week - should be interesting

and the U21s the week after - even more interesting :)
psychoscoredthelot

Postby chigwells finest on Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:19 pm

the EJA is a decent standard of football , physically strong and you usually get to play on better pitches , and in a stadium
chigwells finest

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:47 pm

chigwells finest wrote:the EJA is a decent standard of football , physically strong and you usually get to play on better pitches , and in a stadium

yeah they beat an echo league a division team 8-2 the other week

my son was playing echo league a division 18 months ago but has progressed even further than he would have - training twice a week helps too
psychoscoredthelot

Postby Sloffy on Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:37 pm

Hi All

The Easter Break is upon us, and our first season in competitive football ( U12 ) is nearly done. Its been a brilliant season, and a really well fought Division.

With 2 games to go we sit 3rd, 2pts off top spot. However we have to play the 2nd placed team next. We have only lost 3 games all season, the last one a real shock against a lower mid table team - all this on the same day 2nd place lost 2-0 to the team second bottom, and the top team drew 3-3 with the team bottom of the league. Its that competitive, makes for great drama.

We've had 8 clean sheets this season, and conceded only 21 in 18 games - the best in all 3 divisions. We have had many plaudits from other teams, and parents on our style of play and how we always play with respect.

I've had massive improvements from my players some of whom probably wouldnt have been considered by 'big' teams. Huge strides by some. Our parents have been massively supportive also, and it all adds to a really enjoyable social scene.....so much so we are going on holiday as a team - to Camber Sands for one of those football tournament weekends end of May.

Sadly for me, it will be my final season. I am due to start a new job end of April, a complete career change and I will no longer be able to commit to the team. Whilst really excited to begin my new career, I am very sad to leave this great little football team behind.

The players dont know yet, only my fellow coach.......and i really wanted to go out as Champions as the perfect send-off but realistically thats probably a step too far.

I would encourage and advise anybody to get involved in youth football, it really is the most fulfilling and enjoyable format of the beautiful game. And to all those currently doing it, keep up the good work.

Remember - a youth football coach doesnt get paid, not cos they're worthless......but because they're priceless !

Cheers

:scarfer:
Sloffy

Postby screech on Mon May 08, 2017 8:39 am

our boys have made it to the league cup final and will be playing it next weekend
we won the semi final yesterday 5-1 and are still unbeaten since the season started last september

very eventful day yesterday before the match had even started, we noticed that some of the oppo were from another team that we had played in a previous round a few weeks back.
their coach had drafted in three new players for a semi final, we highlighted this to him and the ref and the coach actually took offence :lol:
the parents were also complaining and they all seemed so taken aback that we had noticed it and honestly seemed to think that it was ok to do this!!
cue the rest of the match we could all hear the parents sending insults and complaints our way.
unblievable behaviour!! you got caught cheating and tried to play the victims unreal some people are.
screech

Postby Mega Ron on Mon May 08, 2017 9:21 am

Did the ringers get to play?
Mega Ron

Postby screech on Mon May 08, 2017 9:36 am

no the coach refused to play them and was very upset about it.
kept saying that we were a muggy club and its a joke that we have stopped kids from playing.
we was told by the division officer that the game was to go ahead and they would investigate the match after for any descrepancies so it was up to the coach who he played at that time

to be fair we were sort of in a win win situation.
if we lost the league would have kicked them out for cheating, if they refused to play we would got a free ticket to the final or we just go out and win the game like we done.

its crazy how adults were reacting to being caught out, one parents even asked why we were taking pictures of his kid!! no mate im taking a picture of my boy on the pitch.
screech

Postby screech on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:27 pm

Don't know about anyone else but damn I'm missing kids football at the weekends, found out today that our first league fixture isn't til the 10th September, half the squad are away at different intervals until the last weekend in august so can't even play any friendlies
screech

Postby Ben on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:05 pm

my boy has just started an interest in kicking a ball about properly, he is just short of 3 so very early days but he was dribbling the ball around with both feet really well, I was impressed!

what age do they start training ideally?
Ben

Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread

Postby screech on Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:42 am

Ben wrote:my boy has just started an interest in kicking a ball about properly, he is just short of 3 so very early days but he was dribbling the ball around with both feet really well, I was impressed!

this is a very grey area with regards to age as everyones opinion differs, some say any age others says 10+ it really is what you think is best for your kid that he will enjoy, and not what you want him to do.
there are plenty of youngster football classes availabl. I took my boy to one of them at an early age and he loved it, but i also enjoyed it as it was parent/kid participation. every activity you had to be your kids partner
have a look at the following and see if any are in your area
http://www.socatots.co.uk
http://www.littlekickers.co.uk
screech

Postby danny faithless on Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:57 am

screech wrote:Don't know about anyone else but damn I'm missing kids football at the weekends, found out today that our first league fixture isn't til the 10th September, half the squad are away at different intervals until the last weekend in august so can't even play any friendlies

Tell me about it! I get so much out of seeing my son play and the bond his team have built. It was they're first season last year. Can't wait for next season to start. Helps that his team is quite good!
danny faithless

Postby screech on Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:09 pm

same here, i dont just enjoy watching him play its the whole set up for matchdays, loading the car up with teas coffee etc, building the goals, putting out the respect barrier, reffereeing every other week, seeing the bond the whole team has and also the same bond carries over to the parents.

my boy's team are also very good which helps massively, last season they won every single league match, won the league cup, entered four tournaments and won three of them
screech

Postby Hammer1972 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:01 pm

Ben wrote:my boy has just started an interest in kicking a ball about properly, he is just short of 3 so very early days but he was dribbling the ball around with both feet really well, I was impressed!

My boy started last year in under 5's, which seems to be the point a lot of the teams start up. Basically as they are going into their first year at infant school.
Hammer1972

Postby BKHWHU on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:19 pm

Long time since I wrote here.

I have left the U19 team in Sweden and moved back to my hometown. The U19 team is currently third in the national division and got an opportunity for the play-offs to the national championship title.
So back in my hometown I have taken on an assistant role at an fifth division side due to lack of time because of work and school. I'll start my UEFA A-license in august and will be done with it in June next year. :scarfer:

I'm sure that I'll miss the youth football, and it's not a wild guess that I'll be back in it soon! So good luck in your seasons and in the development of your kids/youths, I'll keep reading this thread and I'll post if/when I get back into youth football!
BKHWHU

Postby Bend it like Repka on Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:02 am

Honestly, some people just don't know when to switch off in kids sport.

I was stand in manager for our U10's cricket team yesterday (I normally manage the U11s) They were playing the top side in the area, very wealthy club, loads of coaches etc. It was a game we were never going to win, esp as 3 of the lads playing were brand new to cricket and virtually playing their first ever hardball game, up against lads who play for the county.

Anyway they batted first and beat us up badly. After 30 overs they scored 225 for 2. No problem with that, but near the end there was a run out that involved over throws and a bail not being on the stump at the time of the second throw. I gave it out, and the batsman started arguing with me about the decision. I told him to go, he was still complaining but his own umpire made him leave.

But the real blinder was at tea was from their manager. He followed me into the toilet (probably deliberately)and pointed out his lad wasn't out as a bail was off. I mean, what a cock. So after him trying to tick me off the conversation went like this

You were 222 for 1. They are U10's, most of them new, they don't know to put the bail back on. Your lad shouldn't be arguing with the umpire to be honest.

Well, he was on 47 not out, he wanted his 50.

I don't care, he shouldn't be arguing with the umpire!

No apology, no acceptance his lad was wrong to confront an umpire. I walked off.

We were all out for 28. :lol: He knew how bad we were and they were always going to win massively. Sometimes you have to recognise they are young kids and the aim is not to grind people into the dirt with every decision. What a plank.
Bend it like Repka

Postby fmgod on Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:05 am

I reffed think it was an U11 match, it was like 11-1 or some absolute rout, last minute of the game the ball pelts this kid on the line square in the face, he puts his handups infront of his face to not much effect, kids burst into tears, cue other manager shouting at me for a pen for handball, you're 11-1 up mate with a minute to go, kids in tears. When I use to manage/coach as soon as we got 5 in front that it was for me, that was time to ease off, change some positions and players, I've got no desire to wallop, demotivate, a bunch of young kids that want to play sport.
fmgod

Postby chigwells finest on Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:00 pm

worst thing about kids football is the parents .... end of
chigwells finest

Postby screech on Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:17 pm

chigwells finest wrote:worst thing about kids football is the parents .... end of

1000000000%
screech

Previous

Return to The Snug