Kids / Youth football

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Kids / Youth football

Postby njs2006 on Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:30 am

screech wrote:We won again today 4-3
We went 3-0 up then the ref started coaching the kids from the middle of the pitch, telling them to run, shoot pass etc and they got back into the game and took it to 3-3 before our striker ran up and scored in the top corner and we closed them down and see the game out, frustrating game due to the ref as he and their coach took offence to us asking him not to direct the kids from the middle, they genuinely couldn't see anything wrong with it!!

This is always going to happen if you don't have a neutrally appointed ref.

Not sure what the problem with coaching from the middle is tbh. I actually see it as a disadvantage, being that you can see a lot more watching from the sides.

As long as the ref's decisions are not biased, what's the problem with trying to help kids develop?
njs2006

Postby screech on Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:51 am

One thing I have learned with kids football is the coaching from the sidelines I.e parents and also refs is a disadvantage
The only person that should be coaching the team is the coach, if a child learns to play football from being told what to do by a parent on the sideline or ref on the pitch then that child becomes reliant on those instructions, they will not learn to make footballing decisions for themselves and will not progress.
What happens when that parent is not there for that game? The child becomes lost in the game and doesn't know what to do, I went through this with my boy, when he was u6 up to half way through the u7's season I was telling him what to do, a bit like I was playing a play station and he was doing really well. Then I was given the above advice and I started reffing games and keeping quiet during matches. My boy had a sudden loss of form, was constantly looking at me for instructions and looked shocking trying to do it on his own, then the coach stepped in gave him some advice and told him he has to make his own decisions, it took about 8 games for him to get his form back but he done it and now he is the better player for it
screech

Postby Up the Junction on Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:51 pm

My boys turned over the previously unbeaten league leaders last week on their own ground.

As a nice little bonus, their manager really didn't like it...

Other than that, a bit of a stop/start season for my boys this year. We've only been able to call upon a full squad once due to injuries/other engagements etc.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby screech on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:36 pm

has anyone had matches rescheduled or later kick offs due to holy communians?
the echo league u8 divisions seem to have shed loads going on at the moment
the other week i watched our 3rd team play and they only had 4 players for the whole game (5 a side)
due to every other child having religious commitments
screech

Postby Sloffy on Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:12 pm

Football wise I had a fantastic weekend just gone.

My u12s won 5-0 Sat morning, and I later found out the top team and 3rd place team ( we are 2nd ) both drew their games v midtable oppo.

West Ham obviously won, then a last minute Leeds goal got my coupon up.

All topped off with my sons Sunday team ( I don't coach them, just a dad ) winning 8-0

:scarfer:
Sloffy

Postby Sloffy on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:05 am

Our U12 league campaign is really hotting up.

Division of 10 teams and only 4pts separating the top 4. We sit second W6 D3 L1, just 2pts behind the leaders W7 D2 L1.

8 games left. No games this week but next week we play 4th, while 1st play 3rd. Then week after we play the top side.

Hoping our immaculate defence can keep firm. FIVE clean sheets this season, incredible stats for 11 year olds, and only 18 goals conceded, next best in the league is 29.

Friendly this week
Sloffy

Postby The_Cheadley on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:26 pm

Quick question - does anyone know of any teams around Basildon, Grays or Chelmsford areas that will be moving into the Eastern Junior Alliance league next season as u13s they can point me towards? I want to try to move my boy into one but only know of one team that I'm not keen on him moving to. Ta.
The_Cheadley

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:06 pm

my son is in the semi finals of the county cup - redbridge u16s

played barking at the weekend in the league (theyre top were 3rd) and we caught their linesman blatantly cheating - even the ref sympathized but said he had to go with the info that was made available to him at the time and disallowed that goal, after disallowing my sons 30 yarder from a free kick 5 minutes before because he hadnt blown his whistle properly.

think its time to stop parents from doing the line and the Essex FA should get trainee 'neutral' refs to do it instead
psychoscoredthelot

Postby screech on Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:18 pm

this weekend the echo league are running a scheme for U7 and U8's where silence is being promoted
no instructions, no encouragement just let the boys play. it should be left to one coach so one voice per team only. when the teams parents were told the dads said no problem, the mums on the other hand :shock:
it will be interesting to see how long they stay quiet for
screech

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:43 am

i used to run a team in the echo league and the mums on the touchline were much worse than the dads

good luck with that one screech
psychoscoredthelot

Postby Arch Dandy on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:28 am

screech wrote:this weekend the echo league are running a scheme for U7 and U8's where silence is being promoted
no instructions, no encouragement just let the boys play. it should be left to one coach so one voice per team only. when the teams parents were told the dads said no problem, the mums on the other hand :shock:
it will be interesting to see how long they stay quiet for

My eldest is in the Echo U9's and I think the kids would really benefit from less 'coaching' while they're on the pitch, my own included.

I can't see anyone staying quiet for longer than 2 minutes.
Arch Dandy

Postby screech on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:47 am

we played two matches this weekend, on saturday we played a friendly against a team from the division above.
their coach at the start said he wants to trial the silent event and we were happy to do so. but he said
no talking from the parents - thats fine by us
no talking from the coaches - thats fine by us
4 x 10min quarters instead of 2 x 20mins - thats fine by us
no referee - WTF! how can you have an u8's game run without a ref? i objected and his answer was well we dont have a referee? i ended up reffing and apart from the kids voices mine was the only voice you could hear.
we are lucky to have a team that have good footballing brains and took the silence in their stride, the same couldn't be said for the opposition as we ran out 9-1 winners .
our team took a lot from that game and went into our league fixture on the sunday ready for another silent match, this match was a lot closer but they were another team from the division above that had just been relegated into our league and were a well set up team but again the silence cost them in that game as well.
we won 6-4 after coming from behind four times and having to play the match with only one sub due to illness and holy communion commitments.

as good as everyone was at being quiet for the whole of both matches, as soon as the final whistles were blown the mums had 40 minutes of noise and emotions built up and boy did they let it go :lol:
screech

Postby Bend it like Repka on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:23 pm

Interesting thread this. I've just been made manager of my local U11 cricket team and I'm looking forward to it.

My daughter got into cricket last year, so we joined the club, and after playing some soft ball games for the year group below, she got the chance to play in some hard ball matches for the last 3 games of the season, and she did well, didn't look out of place even though there were some pretty tough competitive boys playing.

As I was hands on helping in every session, the club asked me to take a coaching badge which I did, but the manager recently resigned and with no other parent interested, I ended up the last man standing.

My daughters initial excitement at me being manager has evaporated, after I explained to her that she will now be under more pressure to perform. We've had a couple of winter nets and some of the boys who didn't play much last year look to have improved.

The part I'm not looking forward to is picking a team of 11 from a squad of nearly 20, I started all this to support her cricket improvement, and now I'm going to be having to try and keep her playing every week while being fair to others.

We are doing a lot of extra training. What have I let myself in for? :lol:
Bend it like Repka

Postby only1post on Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:37 pm

Surely we will never see an end to kids heading the ball in light of the possible dementia link in the news.
only1post

Postby screech on Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:35 pm

only1post wrote:Surely we will never see an end to kids heading the ball in light of the possible dementia link in the news.

my boy heads the ball at least 5 times in a match, in a 40 minute game for U8's that's a lot of headers but he loves headering the ball and wouldn't stop if i told him he would get brain damage later in life, he may think twice about headering the ball if i was to drum it into him but he headers the ball through instinct and that will never stop in football.
how heavy were the balls 40-50 years ago compared to now?
i think the news story is a non goer and just scare mongerinbg from a bored doctor and journalist
there's more head blows in rugby than football that are a lot harder than a headed football
screech

Postby screech on Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:21 pm

Unreal last 2 weeks for my boy and his team, in the last 14 days they have played 5 games
3 games against teams from the division above them
We won all three, 9-1, 6-4 and 4-3
Then we got invited to Leyton orient midweek for a match and we beat them 11-7
Today we were invited to Watford academy for a match and we beat them 5-2
For a team of U8's they are absolutely flying and doing every parent proud
And they are managing all this by taking it in turns in goal as we still don't have a goalkeeper
screech

Postby Mega Ron on Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:39 am

screech wrote:Unreal last 2 weeks for my boy and his team, in the last 14 days they have played 5 games
3 games against teams from the division above them
We won all three, 9-1, 6-4 and 4-3
Then we got invited to Leyton orient midweek for a match and we beat them 11-7
Today we were invited to Watford academy for a match and we beat them 5-2
For a team of U8's they are absolutely flying and doing every parent proud
And they are managing all this by taking it in turns in goal as we still don't have a goalkeeper

Well done to you and the team Screech.

Sounds like these Academy sides should offer you a job.
Mega Ron

Postby screech on Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:01 pm

Ron I don't coach the team I'm just an overly involved parent that takes training sessions every so often and is very hands on with the team. My boys academy has offered me many times a coaching role and to also coach the team with the academy paying for me to do my coaching badges but truth be told I have no interest in coaching, I can motivate on match days but for the sake of teaching young kids football I draw the line there. Today we won 5-0 and have 4 games remaining to finish the season unbeaten before we go into cup mode and play the league cup for the next 6 weeks
screech

Postby screech on Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:06 pm

Also if anyone in the Loughton area wants a coaching role within an academy our one is currently recruiting for new coaches, I won't post details on here but can send via email etc if there is any interest.
There could also be some entry level voluntary roles for coaching and working within a football academy if anyone is interested just dm me and I'll get back to you
screech

Postby screech on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:32 am

signed off the last league game of the season yesterday with a 9-0 win
the team went the whole season unbeaten, no losses and no draws
every match was a win, we even went to leyton orient academy and beat them and also went to watford and beat them.
also we done it without a dedicated goalkeeper, every player taking it in turns each week as goalie.
echo league cup starts in two weeks time so at least we have something competitive to look forward to
screech

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug