Kids / Youth football

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Kids / Youth football

Postby Sloffy on Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:04 am

Had a mixed bag start to season.

Last year in our age group, 2 teams dominated. 1 is a team full of pre-academy players for local football league clubs, and win everything. They are top quality. The other is a team made up of 10 year olds who are physically bigger and faster than their peers - football wise they are not that great but they get results thru power and physicality.

Anyway, this season, that physical team are in div 2 with my team. Couldn't understand it - unless they've lost players / got a new team. Turned up to play them 2 weeks ago - nope, its the same side. Thrashed us. Pretty much all the goals were route one. With the ball we were the better team, created a few chances, but couldn't handle their power.

Last week was the cup. We played a team from our league, who are a really good run club and set up. We played some lovely football, and won 4-0. The oppo weren't bad but their coach admitted they have no striker. 2 of our goals were lovely passing moves and that makes me happy. As does the clean sheet for the back guys.

Next round ( QF's ) we have the aforementioned side with all the pre academy players, so cant see us getting much, but we'll go there and give it a go

:scarfer:
Sloffy

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:43 pm

dagenham and redbridge 5-a-side tournament tomorrow for my U15s

should be a good test to see what we are in store for the rest of the season - next week we have the 1st round of the essex cup in colchester !!
psychoscoredthelot

Postby Clacton-ammer on Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:49 pm

Who you playing in Colchester Psycho?
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby screech on Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:22 pm

My boys team won again on Sunday
Beat Romford colts 7-2
The kids are flying at the moment and confidence is sky high, it will be interesting how they react to losing
screech

Postby Up the Junction on Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:36 pm

My boys (Under Nines this season) won their opening game four zip last week but went down 1-0 yesterday.

Latest result hinged on a couple of dodgy calls by the referee, both of which went against us.I think he had the hump after one of our boys left him doubled up in agony after firing the ball straight at his nuts from point blank range...

My club (based nr Benfleet) are still looking for managers btw, in case anyone's interested in taking an Under Sixes or Under Sevens side on this season..
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Clacton-ammer on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:36 am

My team has finally clicked into place, we played the top of the table team, beat them convincingly 5-1. The boys were just outstanding in every aspect of the game.

Just need to take this forward into this weekend.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:43 pm

Clacton-ammer wrote:Who you playing in Colchester Psycho?

stanway rovers - but its next week - oops
psychoscoredthelot

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:45 pm

runners up in the dagenham and redbridge 5 a side - they got their medals on the pitch at half time

got beat 10-1 by billericay in echo league cup BUT they had several EJA boys playing for them !!
psychoscoredthelot

Postby Clacton-ammer on Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:51 pm

psychoscoredthelot wrote:
stanway rovers - but its next week - oops

Reds or Blues? We followed them on two weeks ago (blues I think it was) I watched them for about 20 minutes or so, they were totally outplayed and lost heavily, the other team though did look very useful, can't remember who they were though! Good luck.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby SP on Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:46 pm

Been managing a team in Potters Bar for 10 years and it's been an absolute brilliant time.
Picked up a group of boys (and one girl) who hadn't been selected for the team and made a B team who lost nearly every week from Under 8's to U'11's.
Then as some boys lost interest in playing we were able to recruit more talented boys into the team. We created a really good atmosphere amongst the parents where nearly everyone had a role to play (impossible to do it on your own). Since then have steadily moved through the divisions and won two cups on the way - superb occasions for everyone and especially for our family as my Son scored 2 of our 3 goals, getting the winner in extra time at last season final.
The team are now playing at under 18 level in the highest division we've ever been in and started the season well with 2 draws and 2 wins.
The big difference as they get older is that defences are bigger and better organised, the days of winning/loosing by a cricket score have gone with games either ending in draws or with an odd goal winning it. The other big difference is that the result really doesn't mean that much, seeing the team still running out giving it their all is what really counts.
Only 12 league games to go until we have to give it all up - Will really miss Sunday mornings and hopefully will do it all again if a Grandson turns up in the near future :)
SP

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:40 pm

Clacton-ammer wrote:
Reds or Blues? We followed them on two weeks ago (blues I think it was) I watched them for about 20 minutes or so, they were totally outplayed and lost heavily, the other team though did look very useful, can't remember who they were though! Good luck.

reds :)

They are EJA arent they Clacton ?
psychoscoredthelot

Postby Clacton-ammer on Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:54 pm

EJA??? Sorry, I have not a Scooby
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:31 pm

Eastern Junior Alliance - sorry

they are non league academies
psychoscoredthelot

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:14 pm

we beat stanway rovers 2-0 in the essex cup - get in !!

the linesman said we play lovely football - think the other team were quite shocked that we beat them - must have had 80% possession
psychoscoredthelot

Postby The_Cheadley on Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:02 pm

psychoscoredthelot wrote:Eastern Junior Alliance - sorry

they are non league academies

You should have complained - most leagues won't allow players from the academy teams to register and therefore play for a "normal" Sunday league side.

My boys have been playing, such a huge step up from where we were last year but have been holding our own, only having lost one game 2-1 to a team who was 4 leagues above us last year. Biggest issue so far is we've played 4 games, and had 3 of them with no subs. The other week we ended up playing the last 20 minutes with a man down due to injury (we held on to win though, so proud of them!). Last season we had no-one miss a game, this year I'm struggling.
The_Cheadley

Postby LJ 80 on Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:55 am

My under 13's team continued our cracking start to the season on Sunday.
Won our 1st game 2-0 despite only having 10 players available (and the opposition didn't have shot on goal)
Won the 2nd game 2-8 with one of the best all round team performances I've seen them produce
Won an interesting 3rd game on Sunday. Went 1 nil down early on. Pulled back immediately and went 1-4 up. Then an inexplicable award of a penalty against us for a "deflected" back pass following a bit of a goal mouth scramble. When I asked the ref why it was awarded was told that's how I was trained??? Im convinced its an indirect free kick on the 6 yard line where both the "pass" and the keepers catch occurred. Penalty goes in so 2-4 at HT. Boys then loose their heads a bit with the injustice (plus every decision was going against us) and it goes 4-4, luckily we then raise game again and go on to win 4-6 to continue our 100% start. Feel sorry for the referee as a young female, clearly only just passed her course but it wasn't a good performance.

So pleased for the boys and parents as we have had a rough last few seasons losing a lot of players (6+) to Kent league/ better sides and dropping down the leagues but we have rebuilt their confidence and now even the weaker players are really starting to influence games and are loving it.
LJ 80

Postby Mega Ron on Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:29 am

I gave up playing last season and really miss it.

I can't wait to , hopefully, get my kids interested in playing and, again hopefully, I can get involved.
Mega Ron

Postby Clacton-ammer on Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:46 am

Nice one LJ & Psycho :thup:

Two wins on the bounce now, coming together really nicely, still much work to do but the boys attitude is spot on. Onwards & upwards I feel.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:57 pm

the_cheadley

thats not quite true though, we played Billericay 2nd team (echo league) and their first team is EJA - however they cross sign players and shift them around between and betwixt the 2. or so i have been told by a couple of EJA players who came to watch us - they said they played against some of our oppos the weeks before

oh well - if they want to win that badly let them i say!!

im more concerned about the development of my players and hope that half the squad leave at the end of the season and get signed up to EJA level
psychoscoredthelot

Postby Up the Junction on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:25 pm

Last weekend ... my boys were 2-1 up, looking the better team and the opposition manager kicked off (telling me to '**** off' because I'd told him to calm down after having a pop at the ref). He then got asked to leave the ground by the ref - but not before having a pop at her (she just happened to be my 16-y/o daughter).

He refused to leave (initially) and by the time we restarted, my boys were all over the place and we lost 4-2. This was an U9s game, btw.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug