what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Algarve Hammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by Algarve Hammer »

Not a pub exactly but a mini beer festival in Lagos Portugal.

Advertised as Lagos World Beer Fest. Apparently 15 different beers, most of them lagers constitutes a world event.

I went along because the advertising blurb promised Fuller's beers amongst others. The opportunity to drink a decent pint on draught here are few a far between, there are some places on the coast but it is nearly all lager with the occasional John Smith's for the northerners.

To say I was disappointed is an understatement, the only Fuller's beer was London Pride, which was called London Prime on the price list. You also had to buy tokens to get the beer, so while the bar staff were stood around doing nowt there was a huge queue to buy tokens as they only had two people selling them and they had to explain how it worked to every customer.

There were two large bars serving a variety of beers, unfortunately the bar staff only knew how to serve lager, so having paid €7 for a commemorative ceramic mug, no free plastic alternative, and then a further €5 for 500ml of what I discovered to be ice cold totally tasteless London Pride, I was not impressed. Admittedly after leaving it in the sun for fifteen minutes it was just about drinkable.

The day was saved when I found a Brewdog bar nestled among the food stalls serving Punk IPA at a reasonable temperature and he took cash, lots of cash I would imagine at €6 a half litre.

Overall a disappointment I wouldn't bother again.

Four chemical toilets that were disgusting only a few hours after the event started. :thdn:

5/10 four of those were for the Brewdog.

Edit. I forgot to mention the Old Speckled Hen was only available in cans at €4 each.

Shilden_72

Post by Shilden_72 »

I'm in Russia right now due to World Cup reasons, have been to a bar hidden in an arch in Moscow, hell if I remember the name. It had beers from all over the world, and my friends and I took pride in honoring as many World Cup participating nations as possible. 9/10, would go again.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Quick update on Trooper. Yep, it's crap. Really don't like it at all as it has a quite horrible flowery flavour which gets worse the further you get down the glass. I tried two from different sellers and they were both the same, really not good. Won't be drinking it again. I suppose it's like a reflection of successive Iron Maiden albums, the first bit is OK but it gets worse the further on you go.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Quick update on Trooper. Yep, it's crap. Really don't like it at all as it has a quite horrible flowery flavour which gets worse the further you get down the glass. I tried two from different sellers and they were both the same, really not good. Won't be drinking it again. I suppose it's like a reflection of successive Iron Maiden albums, the first bit is OK but it gets worse the further on you go.
Horses for courses I suppose GCRO. I liked it and didn't find it hoppy or flowery at all.

Last weekend I was at the London Vegan Beer Festival at Hackney Downs. A great time was had by all - vegans and non vegans alike. Tried loads of new beers, some great, some average and some awful but the best of the bunch for me was Signature Brew's: Roadie. A light, yet flavourful, non hoppy beer that went down very very well on a hot summers day. Top food as well.

It was a great day out and we all wanna get advance tix for next year.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 845 likes

Post by mushy »

The Nightingale Wanstead.
Its.open again and been bought by Lampard snr.
First thoughts are that the beer selection is pretty poor but the London Pride was quite reasonable.
Full review at a later date once it's all settled down.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Foresters Arms, Loughton.

Decent beers, decent outside area, good atmosphere and nice food, though menu is a bit limited.

8/10.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

mushy wrote:The Nightingale Wanstead.

Had a drink with the great man there last Friday.

Doesn't have a lot to recommend it yet. Plenty of outside seating space is a plus (This Summer!)
WHU Independent

The Woodsman, Highgate.

A friend of mine had a birthday bash there and despite TFL cancelling most trains on most likes and shutting major stations such as Bank, I made it there.

Glad I did TBVH: a nice, clean airy pub with a massive outside area (a covered deck and an open air area), good bogs, lots of staff serving, as the place was very busy. They had a great DJ - DJ Boy - who played The Cure, The Smiths, Talking Heads, Kate Bush etc, so the music, for me, was ace.

The prices were a little steep - £4.90 a pint of Guinness - and two small G&T's, A Bombardier and a Guinness come to £22: not bad I suppose. It's open till 12 ish and the trains run all night, so when they are running correctly, it will be a breeze for me to get home.

A solid 8/10 - I'd go back without hesitation.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

WHUI, I don't think I've ever known anyone to frequent so many different pubs.

Without me checking back over the thread, have you ever made it into The Water Poet in Shoreditch?
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Denzil »

sendô wrote:WHUI, I don't think I've ever known anyone to frequent so many different pubs.

Without me checking back over the thread, have you ever made it into The Water Poet in Shoreditch?
Excellent pub, that. My first ever 'City Job' was in the office next door, which is now a hotel I believe. I hadn't been back to the pub in years until last summer and was happy to find it still a great boozer with a two indoor bars, an outdoor bar and a pool room.
WHU Independent

sendô wrote:WHUI, I don't think I've ever known anyone to frequent so many different pubs.

Thanks Sendo :) TBH I don't list all the pubs I've been in either! The reasons why I go to so many different pubs is that a) I work in various places in London so go drinking there b) I am a member of a couple of games clubs and have lots of mates who live all over London and I go and visit them, c) I go out to gigs/galleries/do's all over London and d) I have relatives and mates who live all over the country and abroad so I visit them regularly.

In answer to your question, no mate I haven't been to the Water Poet. I was supposed to go there once for a birthday do, but it got called off. It looks a great gaff and I will visit at one point.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

mushy wrote:The Nightingale Wanstead.
First thoughts are that the beer selection is pretty poor but the London Pride was quite reasonable.
Full review at a later date once it's all settled down.
My sister lives a couple of streets away from there so have been quite a few times. Not been in since the refit though. I saw that The Duke did an April Fools thing saying Frank McAvennie had taken them over.

Some decent places to drink in Wanstead.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

WHU Independent wrote:Thanks Sendo :) TBH I don't list all the pubs I've been in either! The reasons why I go to so many different pubs is that I'm a piss head

You're an inspiration to us all mate.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 581 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Billydinho wrote:Foresters Arms, Loughton.

Decent beers, decent outside area, good atmosphere and nice food, though menu is a bit limited.

8/10.
Held my Dad's wake (well, after-death piss-up) there. Always has been a decent pub in a nice setting.
markmc

Post by markmc »

WHU Independent wrote:Thanks Sendo :) TBH I don't list all the pubs I've been in either! The reasons why I go to so many different pubs is that I'm a piss head
sendô wrote:You're an inspiration to us all mate.
Did a double take to that reply and nearly pissed myself laughing!!
water
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by water »

Had a weekend in Harrogate last week I went to the "Theakston Crime writing festivial" ( being going there for 8 years recommend it if you love your crime books & Theakston beer)
We went to the Wetherspoons ..the best spoons I think Ive been to, fantastic building & friendly staff...and the added bonus of getting change out of £6 for THREE PINTS !...quiet unbelievable

10/10
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

The goose Romford, nice big beer garden on an afternoon like todays, couple of nice pints of cold carlsberg.
8/10
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

I popped in there about 19:00. Missed the sun sadly.
WHU Independent

markmc wrote:Thanks Sendo :) TBH I don't list all the pubs I've been in either! The reasons why I go to so many different pubs is that I'm a piss head
Oi - I'm not a pisshead, I'm a binge drinker! ;) Big difference!

Actually I don't drink for days/weeks then go on the lash. ATM I've got quite a bit of crap going on in my life (see the Mental Health thread) and I find drink helps me sleep and worry less. I know it's not the answer but every now and then I succumb.

Speaking of which, the last few pubs I've been in are:

The Old Red Lion Theatre Bar, Angel. Massive old fashioned pub with a great range of beers, beer garden and lovely pub dog, a chilled out Boxer. Service was good, locals friendly but at £5,00 for a pint of Adnams "Mosaic" they have very modern prices, unfortunately. I really didn't like the Mosaic either, sums up everything about a beer I don't like. Way to bitter, overly flowery and acidic.

The Charles Lamb, off City Road NW1. - A proper old school pub, small but well decorated and really welcoming. A decent range of beers, with outside seating and great staff. Guinness was £5.00 a pint almost, but it was lovely and I spent an hour sitting in the sun with my pint, reading. I saw some of the food on offer and it looked lovely - massive portions too! I'm coming back here without question.

Bethnal Green Working Man's Club: You just can't go wrong here. Ok the décor is tired and weary, but they have fantastic staff and the beer is tops! And cheap! As a member I get Guinness at £3.00 a pint - happy days! Three Sods (the brewers below the club) had a sumer IPA on, which my mate said was "wonderful!" It's a great place for a cheap pint and a wonderful atmosphere - everyone is very friendly here.

The Old George, Bethnal Green rd. It's been taken over by a Frank Zappa look alike and they have new bar staff, who are clueless and dreadful. The prices have gone up as well and the bogs are worse than usual. Not the exciting, vibrant reasonably priced pub it once was.

The Tommy Flowers, Aberfeldy Street, Poplar. The best bar around by far. Clean, tidy, well decorated, yet small with a very homely feel - it's like a lovely living room. A really diverse clientèle: a Muslim woman in a burka drinking pints of Carlesburg, a vicar drinking Trooper (Sorry GCRO!) with his family, a couple locals drinking bottled ales (Doombar, Ghost Ship etc), two construction workers slating their thirst after a hard days work and a few people from Canary Wharf who have realised that this place is a) cheap and b) much better than those plastic pubs where they work. Top music too. ALL this plus a small "cosy" room where you can go for a quiet chat and a well laid out outside area where you can smoke or just sit in the sun. At £3.50 a pop for Carlesburg and £3.90 for Guinness and £3.80 for large bottles of ale, it's great value too. Oh and the staff are the best around. I love it here.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

The Horns - Watford,Herts
Went there last night to watch the Spitfires.
Good small venue pub.Two real ales on ,London pride and Doom Bar bu tbecause of the heat I went on the John Smiths.
Cracking pub 8/10