what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:The Captain Kidd, Wapping
Sam Smith's pub on Wapping High Street. Pretty quiet when I went in. The Organic Wheat Beer I ordered had to be sent back twice as the gas was playing up. Gave up in the end, not impressed. 4/10
I only really like their bottled stuff. Anything off the pump is very hit or miss.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

I've usually found their draught to be pretty decent as it goes. Friday though, it was crap. Tasted like it'd been sitting in the pipes for ages and was flat as a witches tit. Couldn't get it right after two attempts (didn't even bother changing the barrel) so I gave up.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Good real ale pubs for Palace gents?

Went to the Spoons opposite Thornton Heath station a couple of seasons ago and wouldn't go back.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Re The Captain Kidd: I can confirm I've had a few dodgy tasting draft pints in there as well. I've had the trotts twice after drinking there. I tend to drink in the Town of Ramsgate if I am that way nowadays.

Last drinking hole wasn't a pub to be fair. I was at Vegefest UK at Olympia when I spied The Pitfield Brewing Company stand. I had a pint of their 1850 London Porter and was hooked. I spent a considerable amount of time there and both the staff and the owner Andy were very very friendly. I also had a Eco Warrior ale.

Both beers were excellent: 10/10 for the London Porter - hand pumped, no gas, deep malty taste topped off with after-taste of roast barley: 8/10 for the Eco warrior - light, crisp, not overly hoppy, very drinkable. And at £4.00 a pint I though they were decent value for money - as hand made craft beers go.

I then ended up in the New Cross Inn , New Cross Saff London and was on the Guinness. A decent price but at £5.00 a pint it was overpriced. The night was good though - The Blue Carpet Band and Spizz Energi were fantastic.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Good real ale pubs for Palace gents?

Went to the Spoons opposite Thornton Heath station a couple of seasons ago and wouldn't go back.
There's a very decent pub near Crystal Palace station, named the Grape and Grain, but its a fair walk to the stadium after that.

If you can be bothered to order a cab, which would take about 5 minutes, come out of the station, turn right and walk up to the top of the hill.

This is the list of ales/ciders they've got on presently.

Its a great pub.
bunk
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by bunk »

prophet:marginal wrote:I thought the first rating was a bit cheerful.

Not knocking its regulars, but I'd sooner go without a beer, than go in there again...

What possessed you to go in a second time?
I've made the mistake of moving to Aldgate and fancied a game of pool, so we decided to give it a another go, another mistake in a long run of mistakes I've recently made. Anyhow...

Yew Tree Inn, Salisbury - A good old fashioned thatched roof pub. Starter of fried brie and a main of pork belly with crackling was very trasy, decent pints of Summer Lightening from the local Hopback Brewery too. The landlady was lovely, overall a thoroughly decent visit. 8.5/10.

The Old Blue Last, Shoreditch - Pretensious nonseness pub filled with bell-ends, blasting out **** music that pretty obviously selected for them to try and remain edgy and alternative. Uncomfortable inside too. The pint of Irish stout was £5.60 and whilst it was okay, it wasn't worth anything north of £4.50. Yes i'm being a little stingy on the price but it was another negative in a pub that was negative in everyway. 2/10.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

prophet:marginal wrote:There's a very decent pub near Crystal Palace station, named the Grape and Grain, but its a fair walk to the stadium after that.
Thanks for the recommendation, I will bear that in mind!

Was thinking maybe a drink somewhere near West Croydon station would be ideal, then just one stop on the overground to Norwood Junction.
BalaamBoy
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by BalaamBoy »

WHU Independent wrote: Spizz Energi were fantastic.
Wow! Didn't realise they were still going!!
BalaamBoy
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by BalaamBoy »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
Yep - the Parcel Yard in Kings Cross station. Real decent Fuller's ales and they also do grub (not sure what it's like though).
Parcel Yard was excellent - thanks GCRO.

Had a brilliant pint of London Pride before lunch in the Lighterman (which was alos very good for the food).
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

bunk wrote:
The Old Blue Last, Shoreditch - Pretensious nonseness pub filled with bell-ends, blasting out **** music that pretty obviously selected for them to try and remain edgy and alternative. Uncomfortable inside too. The pint of Irish stout was £5.60 and whilst it was okay, it wasn't worth anything north of £4.50. Yes i'm being a little stingy on the price but it was another negative in a pub that was negative in everyway. 2/10.

:lol:

I know the a few of the managers there. I don't mind it as they give me discount if i go in there.

The Griffin up the road is better though.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

We'd arranged to meet The Collector and Mrs Collector at the Sligachan last night , when we got there at 5pm they were closing up ! :) No sign of our friends so we went back to the car to wait for them - a few minutes went past and I had the thought that they may have gone into the Hotel part of the Slig and there they were - the Hotel bar was cosier , the food was excellent and a lovely time was had by all .

I like being inside a pub in wintertime .

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Was thinking maybe a drink somewhere near West Croydon station would be ideal, then just one stop on the overground to Norwood Junction.
I wouldn't even get off the train at West Croydon, still less expect to find a decent pint around there.

:wink:

bunk wrote:I've made the mistake of moving to Aldgate

Aldgate means different things to different people.

Do you mean a road off or near the Commercial Road?

If you're stuck for a decent boozer - and repeated visits to the Hungerford suggests that - try the Still and Star, or the Dog and Truck. Both liable to be a bit dead at random hours, early evening, the D&T especially, but both earn their staying power due to the beers they serve, the Still especially.
the polecat

Post by the polecat »

The Cronx bar, next to the Box Park at East Croydon. Great selection of beers, including their own, but a little bit on the pricey side.
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:We'd arranged to meet The Collector and Mrs Collector at the Sligachan last night , when we got there at 5pm they were closing up ! :) No sign of our friends so we went back to the car to wait for them - a few minutes went past and I had the thought that they may have gone into the Hotel part of the Slig and there they were - the Hotel bar was cosier , the food was excellent and a lovely time was had by all .

I like being inside a pub in wintertime .
And the lamb curry was a bit of alright as well.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

The Star- South Harrow
No real Ale,but the Johns Smiths was ok.
Big old barn of a p[lace that seems geared up to watch sport.
Decent bar staff and locals.
My mate had burger and chips and it looked good
7/10
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Ballsbridge Hotel Bar, Dublin: Spend the best part of 2 days drinking here, mainly Guinness, which was very decent. Top service, great bogs, lovely staff, comfortable, TV's with sport on - I even didn't mind paying 6 euro a pint because the place was so decent. 8/10
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

WHU Independent wrote:great bogs
You know, not enough people comment on this! Time to change the rules of the thread I feel. Rate the bogs as well.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

The Collector wrote:You know, not enough people comment on this! Time to change the rules of the thread I feel. Rate the bogs as well.
Good bogs are not appreciated enough. The amount of boozers I've been in and the toilets are unbelieveable. The two that go down as being the worst was the Earl of Wakefield in East Ham just behind the ground and The George Robey.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

If we are talking classy khazis,then check out the Princess louise in Holborn.
Victorian toilets,very classy.Or they were last time i ventured into them.