what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 924 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by pablo jaye »

Soho Farmhouse near Chipping Norton. An up-market country club where those with more money than sense apparently go. Went with a group of people who live around Witney and Woodstock, with a pal who is just about to have chemotherapy. Did a nice pint of Cotswold Lager in old fashioned pint mugs.

Didn't see anyone famous there and didn't hear that many behaving twattishly, although a few were dressed like they had raided the wardrobe of z-list celebs.

5/10 - reasonable atmosphere, nice pint. Lots of tw*ts showing off their cash.
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

Popped into The Ring (ahem) opposite Southwark station for a swift half or two after work. Had three different pints of stuff I had never heard of which was of very average quality. Craft beer must be the new name for crap beer.

The pub was uncomfortably full with not much elbow room. Did see Trevor Nunn standing by the door waiting for someone. Wisely, he had a glass of red wine and shot off as soon as his date turned up.

2/10
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

The Devonshire Arms Camden.

Now become a usual haunt, mainly pre-gigs, but also now they've been having some very good bands play and the DJ sets on a Saturday night have brought back flashbacks of a time gone by and brought many a smile to the face, The nearest I've found to the old Ruskin Arms, and yes that's a good thing. Not too extortionately priced given the location, decent array of beers both draught and bottled. Rough, ready and with character. My only quibble is with the toilets. Which make the old Ruskins facillities look borderline palatial.

8/10
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Rio wrote:The Devonshire Arms Camden.

Now become a usual haunt, mainly pre-gigs, but also now they've been having some very good bands play and the DJ sets on a Saturday night have brought back flashbacks of a time gone by and brought many a smile to the face, The nearest I've found to the old Ruskin Arms, and yes that's a good thing. Not too extortionately priced given the location, decent array of beers both draught and bottled. Rough, ready and with character. My only quibble is with the toilets. Which make the old Ruskins facillities look borderline palatial.

8/10
Pub toilets in the area are notoriously bad, but the Devs really are the worst .
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Rio wrote:The Devonshire Arms Camden.

8/10
Nothing can compare with the Ruskin Arm's toilets. I always remember the outside urinal with the big hand painted sing "Men. Urinal only - No ****!" :lol:

The Dev is a good pub to go to if you're in Camden and its probably the only pub I'll visit now if I'm in the area. That or the Wetherspoons near the lock.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Nothing can compare with the Ruskin Arm's toilets.
Used to joke that there were pipes from the Ruskin's pissoir feeding back to the bar. Or was it a joke?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

vietnammer wrote:Used to joke that there were pipes from the Ruskin's pissoir feeding back to the bar. Or was it a joke?
That's why I always drank bottles there.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Old Killarney Inn, old Killarney Village, Kerry.

Great local, decent range of drinks, nice bar staff, apparently food is top drawer, locals always up for a chat and overall a very solid and enjoyable boozer. 8/10
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 410 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
The Dev is a good pub to go to if you're in Camden and its probably the only pub I'll visit now if I'm in the area. That or the Wetherspoons near the lock.
My fave is The Black Heart by the station. Been in there GCRO?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Cockneyboy311 wrote:My fave is The Black Heart by the station. Been in there GCRO?
Oh yes, several times. Last gig I went to in there was Madball. One of the best, if not the best gigs I went to in a long long time. It's a bit expensive but the venue is pretty decent.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Romford wrote:Sadly mate... :cry:
Many a decent session in there before West Ham away. I guess you'd call it Man City home. I never once used it otherwise, though.
woodgreenspur

Post by woodgreenspur »

There's a fair few good pubs in Camden town,you just have to get away from the main drag.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Any idea what The Central is due to become, anybody? There's already too many Tescos.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

The Carpenter's Arms, Cheshire St (off Brick Ln)
Went in here before the Chelsea game and was pleasantly surprised. Has the feel of an old school east end boozer, with a curtain rail around the door frame to greet you.

Had a good booze of Tim Taylor's Landlord. Shame it did not have the sparkler attached, but this is London!

Barman was a bit dozy, but can't complain! Will return.

7/10.
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Spent most of Saturday mooching about Bethnal Green record shopping and visiting a fair few pubs. Best of the lot by far was The Kings Arms on the corner of Buckfast St and Derbyshire St. Good selection of craft beers on draught and bottles/cans and really friendly, helpful staff. Started in there early afternoon and ended up going back in the evening after Mother Kelly's and a couple of others. Will definitely be going back. 9/10
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

btajim - mcfc wrote:Any idea what The Central is due to become, anybody? There's already too many Tescos.
Flats I should imagine Jim, its a massive building.
In other news, your old haunt the White Horse seems to be still going, however the white horse itself (which used to be on top of the pub), seems to have gone.
woodgreenspur

Post by woodgreenspur »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:The Carpenter's Arms, Cheshire St (off Brick Ln)
Went in here before the Chelsea game and was pleasantly surprised. Has the feel of an old school east end boozer, with a curtain rail around the door frame to greet you.

Had a good booze of Tim Taylor's Landlord. Shame it did not have the sparkler attached, but this is London!

Barman was a bit dozy, but can't complain! Will return.

7/10.
Unless you get the bit by the bar ,directly opposite the door as you go in,its a bit poky in there.Always seem to be in someones way.
Landlords is a great refreshing pint though.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

mushy wrote:Flats I should imagine Jim, its a massive building.
In other news, your old haunt the White Horse seems to be still going, however the white horse itself (which used to be on top of the pub), seems to have gone.
I also drank in The Hammers and The Denmark. One of the regulars from The White Horse passed away recently. Pauline Taylor. Many knew her through a local school. Brilliant lady.

It'll be my first port of call next time I'm back. Hopefully April for a long weekend with City at Wembley.
shammy

Post by shammy »

the White Horse seems to be still going, however the white horse itself (which used to be on top of the pub), seems to have gone.
I thought it use to sit on top of a telephone box outside the Pub.
bunk
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by bunk »

The Cobblestone, Dublin - Excellent pints of Guinness with the weather absolutely miserable outside. There was a band playing Irish music, which was pretty good to watch. Relaxed atmosphere, aside from a loud bunch of Americans who seemed intent on shouting everything, ****ers. 7/10.

Walsh's, Dublin - Friendly landlord and more good Guinness. Managed to get enticed into an interview about Guinness drinkers of the ages of 28 - 35, with the offer of a free pint at the end, despite not being in that age group. They were true to their word, and a free beer is better than paying for one. 7.5/10.