what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

WHU Independent wrote:Yup - it's made one, Can't remember the name, so I'll have to go back and check! Thanks!
LincolnshireHammer wrote:Do let us know!
It'll be this stuff ...

https://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/p ... india-ale/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: It'll be this stuff ...

https://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... india-ale/
Thank you GCRO - bang on the money! Lovely stuff it is too.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

No probs.

India Pale Ale seems to have taken on two variations - the traditional nice smooth, slightly hoppy drink which is how IPA was meant to taste when years ago it was produced for the British soldiers serving in India. The other is the extremely hoppy and citrus flavoured American style IPA which seems to have become trendy lately. The recent connotation is what IPA would have tasted in Victorian times as it left the brewery and the Yanks seem to have leapt on this flavour and produced their own flavour IPA. The emphasis is on freshness with this style of IPA and will taste quite sharp and bitter which an abundance of hops in beer will taste like in any ale.

The more traditional style of IPA (such as Greene King) which has a darker colour and mellower taste is the flavour IPA took on when it reached India from England. As it took around six months to reach India it would mature in the barrels it was transported in and as the journey took so long, a lot of hops (which are a preservative) as well as alcohol (also a preservative) were added to the recipe. By the time it has reached India, it has mellowed and matured in the barrels which produced a nice smooth flavour. It was also quite strong too. When soldiers came back from India they wanted to drink the ale they’d drunk in India, so, it was decided to produce the stuff over here.

The oldest consistent recipe for IPA is Burton IPA which has remained unchanged since Victorian times and uses Kent hops (recognised as some of the best in the world) and the famed Burton water which is used by and replicated by many breweries and is recognised throughout the world as the best water for brewing (due to it high natural sulphate content which gives it it’s slightly bitter flavour).

Ironically, IPA should definitely not be drunk with India food, as they both contain irritant and bitter flavours which react together to produce intensely bitter flavours.
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:No probs.

India Pale Ale seems to have taken on two variations - the traditional nice smooth, slightly hoppy drink which is how IPA was meant to taste when years ago it was produced for the British soldiers serving in India. The other is the extremely hoppy and citrus flavoured American style IPA which seems to have become trendy lately. The recent connotation is what IPA would have tasted in Victorian times as it left the brewery and the Yanks seem to have leapt on this flavour and produced their own flavour IPA. The emphasis is on freshness with this style of IPA and will taste quite sharp and bitter which an abundance of hops in beer will taste like in any ale.

The more traditional style of IPA (such as Greene King) which has a darker colour and mellower taste is the flavour IPA took on when it reached India from England. As it took around six months to reach India it would mature in the barrels it was transported in and as the journey took so long, a lot of hops (which are a preservative) as well as alcohol (also a preservative) were added to the recipe. By the time it has reached India, it has mellowed and matured in the barrels which produced a nice smooth flavour. It was also quite strong too. When soldiers came back from India they wanted to drink the ale they’d drunk in India, so, it was decided to produce the stuff over here.

The oldest consistent recipe for IPA is Burton IPA which has remained unchanged since Victorian times and uses Kent hops (recognised as some of the best in the world) and the famed Burton water which is used by and replicated by many breweries and is recognised throughout the world as the best water for brewing (due to it high natural sulphate content which gives it it’s slightly bitter flavour).

Ironically, IPA should definitely not be drunk with India food, as they both contain irritant and bitter flavours which react together to produce intensely bitter flavours.
Thanks for this. One of my earliest drinking memories is having a half of Charrington’s IPA while sitting around the corner by the pool tables in the Wakefield with my older cousins, pre match.

Whenever I went into a pub I would always ask for IPA because I didn’t know what else to order.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:No probs.

India Pale Ale seems to have taken on two variations...
Nice break down! Love reading about the history of beer. You ever read any of Pete Brown's books/blog posts? Interesting guy.

Me and my old man often discuss the old- and new-school IPA styles. I like both, and think it's great we have a choice. English 3-4% IPA for an all day session, crazy US 9% IPA if i'm sat at home having just one. My Dad can't get his head round it though. Although we both agree that Greene King IPA is boring as f**k.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

EugeneSpeed wrote:Nice break down! Love reading about the history of beer. You ever read any of Pete Brown's books/blog posts? Interesting guy.
No I haven't but will check it out. I've turned into a bit of a beer nerd as I too love reading about the history of beer. Sad I know but it fascinates me.
Me and my old man often discuss the old- and new-school IPA styles. I like both, and think it's great we have a choice. English 3-4% IPA for an all day session, crazy US 9% IPA if i'm sat at home having just one. My Dad can't get his head round it though. Although we both agree that Greene King IPA is boring as f**k.
Yeah Greene King is the probably the most generic English IPA available at the moment and although drinkable is, as you say, very boring. I'm really not a fan of the American style, although I've tried to like it, the high hop content plays havoc with my acid reflux for some reason and, as you say, some of them are insanely strong. I also find that many of the new style IPAs taste the same due to the amount of hops in there which just swamp any other attempt at flavour.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

The Collector wrote:
Thanks for this. One of my earliest drinking memories is having a half of Charrington’s IPA while sitting around the corner by the pool tables in the Wakefield with my older cousins, pre match.

Whenever I went into a pub I would always ask for IPA because I didn’t know what else to order.
Here you go Mr Collector -
http://protzonbeer.co.uk/features/2015/ ... -in-burton
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

The Tommy Flowers, Aberfeldy Street E14.

Brand new community pub opened up and it's lovely. Well decorated, no music, comfy chairs, reasonable prices - Guinness £3.80 a pint, and a decent pint to boot. Great bar staff and ambience - they even have a piano which rattles out a few tunes when people play it. It's like having a beer in someone's front room. top bogs too and small area out back if you need a quieter chat. Also has a top range of whisky. Added bonus it's 30 meters from my house :) 9/10
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: No I haven't but will check it out. I've turned into a bit of a beer nerd as I too love reading about the history of beer. Sad I know but it fascinates me.
Yeah Greene King is the probably the most generic English IPA available at the moment and although drinkable is, as you say, very boring. I'm really not a fan of the American style, although I've tried to like it, the high hop content plays havoc with my acid reflux for some reason and, as you say, some of them are insanely strong. I also find that many of the new style IPAs taste the same due to the amount of hops in there which just swamp any other attempt at flavour.
What do you think of Wychwood brews, GC?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

The Minories.

Had a standard fayre full English breakfast, which in all honesty was a bit crap.

However, the 20% discount I got because I drive a bus made it more palatable. As did the really rather tasty bird behind the counter that took my order, as did the really rather tasty bird that brought it to me.

The coffee was alright too.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Samba wrote:What do you think of Wychwood brews, GC?
The ones I've tried have been hit and miss. Hob Goblin is reasonably drinkable but I've had so many bad pints of it that I've got a sort of phobia too it. It doesn't taste good when it goes (does any beer?) but I had a superb pint up in Manchester a while back and the pubs that I've tried (most locally) that sell it, just don't come up to standard. The Gold, I've only had once and remembered it as being quite nice. Not tried their IPA.

Bottled Wychwood is usually quite good, but it's not my first choice if I'm buying bottled ales. The shop round the corner sells it and if it's a choice of anything Shepherd Neame and Wychwood, I'll always choose Hobgoblin.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

My local, the best pub in Britain. Narrow selection of overpriced drinks, pretty terrible food, and grotty old clientele. Perfect.
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

mushy wrote:Here you go Mr Collector -
http://protzonbeer.co.uk/features/2015/ ... -in-burton
Cheers!
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

The Grafton, Kentish Town

Nipped in for a pint and a bite to eat on the way to see Blossoms.

Lovely pint of Lagunitas IPA and a burger coming to £19 :shock: Which is a bit pricey IMO.

Nice pub though, and playing some decent music.

7/10
mushy

Post by mushy »

-DL- wrote:The Minories.

Had a standard fayre full English breakfast, which in all honesty was a bit crap.

There is a Spoons just around the corner from there, I reckon their breakfasts and coffee are better.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:The Grafton, Kentish Town

Lovely pint of Lagunitas IPA and a burger coming to £19 :shock: Which is a bit pricey IMO.

7/10
I use to promote gigs in a pub up the road from there and that was my sanctuary for 45 minutes/hour of peace before the madness and stress of the night a head.
Always great ale in there.
It is pricey,i give you that though.
Has a sort of 'too old for Camden town,but still like a night out type crowd'
7/10
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

-DL- wrote:The Minories.

mushy wrote:There is a Spoons just around the corner from there, I reckon their breakfasts and coffee are better.
There's a boozer on the same side of the street as the opening for the bus station, on that road. Name now escapes me. Must be close to where Alan Brazil works. He's often in there, on a sesh. Last time I saw him, he was battered.
mushy

Post by mushy »

prophet:marginal wrote:
There's a boozer on the same side of the street as the opening for the bus station, on that road. Name now escapes me. Must be close to where Alan Brazil works. He's often in there, on a sesh. Last time I saw him, he was battered.
Is there a bus station at the Aldgate end still?
Last time I was there it was closed.
Alan Brazil works at Hatfields which is in Southwark, just off Stamford street, having said that I get the impression he knows every pub in a ten mile radius.
He always looks like he is about to explode.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Yeah, the bus station is still there - as is the Still & Star, that little pub tucked back from the main road.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:The Grafton, Kentish Town

7/10
Had one of the greatest chicken burgers of my life in there a wee while back, succulent with a smokey bbq tang. But yeah it's pricey although with a nice interior and tries to retain a bit of character.

Camden Brewery down the road does a mean pint too :thup: