what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by Wembley1966 »

^^^ I hope that she's better than Vicky (or it's her daughter now).
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

The Beer House, Leeds station. Used to be called the White Rose but has undergone a makeover.

I work in Leeds once a month and do not normally drink here, but it was pissing down.

There were three ales on draft and numerous bottle of craft types and fancy ciders in bottle/cans on the cold shelf. However, I noted that nobody was drinking bitter and went for safety in Guinness rather than argue with some kid that the beer was foul because it was four in the afternoon and it was the first pint you had pulled today.

Guinness was extra cold and extra expensive at £5. This may not be expensive for London but this was Leeds!!!

Am I allowed to give a zero?
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

The Beer House, Charring Cross station.

What the Collector said above plus the London one is atmosphere-less, soul-less, suffered from the same lack of beer - I had an Amstel, it tasted suspiciously bitter I felt - and a totally useless barman. 0/10

The Mayflower, Rotherhive - a quality pub, lovely staff, great bar and outside seating area, decent range of ales and beers and lively atmosphere. Clean yet very tiny bogs - uncomfortably so tbh. I had a pint of UBU golden which was excellent as was the Amstel. 8/10

The Adam and Eve, Rotherhive. Phenomenal bar staff. A very drunk Estonian, a proper man mountain, latched on to my mate and I as we both have long hair. He wanted to talk about proper heavy metal - Deep Purple in particular. Being massive fans we were willing to oblige, but when he went and had a piss, a member of the bar staff come over to check if we were ok - which was funny as my mate is a big lump as well - and said if we were being bugged by him they would sling him out. We said he was ok and when he came back we talked to him some more until he couldn't talk any ore and he went home - on is pedal bike!

All in all a proper boozer. Very clean, quality bogs, wide range of ales and wines - they had a lovely red and a top range of whiskey. A double JD and mixer and a large quaityl read wine at appox £12 was decent I felt. 8/10
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

Streeties in Canning Town

It's been a hell of a long time since I visited this place (at least 15 years). Nothing seems to have changed, it's still a complete dump that sells lousy beer.
What did slightly surprise me was the amount of young student types in here. Is there a college/Uni nearby, or is it to do with all the blocks of flats that are springing up nearby?
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

The Hope- Southend on Sea
Ok pint of John Smiths.
Rough and ready pub,but friendly enough.
Good pre gig watering hole
6/10
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

mushy wrote:Streeties in Canning Town
Where dat?

Is this the “new” name for the Ordnance?

Just about every pub in Canning Town had gone the last time I went through and I ended up walking to the Abbey for a pint.
mushy

Post by mushy »

No it's not The Ordanace Arms.

You know the Hallsville? AKA The White House?
It's in a road behind there.
The Hallsville has become some sort of restaurant, but Streeties survives as a pub somehow.
bunk
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by bunk »

WHU Independent wrote:The Mayflower, Rotherhive - a quality pub, lovely staff, great bar and outside seating area, decent range of ales and beers and lively atmosphere. Clean yet very tiny bogs - uncomfortably so tbh. I had a pint of UBU golden which was excellent as was the Amstel. 8/10
Excellent pub that, just a pity it's painfully busy most weekends. In the winter it's not quite so bad luckily.
The Collector wrote:Just about every pub in Canning Town had gone the last time I went through and I ended up walking to the Abbey for a pint.
The Princess Alexandra is open I think, pretty sure it was last time i walked past. Not that it's particularly good. The Abbey still going, though numbers certainly have dropped and i didn't recognise many faces from the Upton Park days. Be a shame if that goes, that and the Black Lion are pretty much the only reason i go back every now and again before West Ham.

Nell Gwynne Tavern, the Strand - Hidden away and perfect to hide in away from work, colleagues, annoying tourists etc. A proper boozer, friendly atmosphere amongst the darkened interior, light barely making its way in. Guinness was good and at under £15 for 3 pints, decent value for the area. Will no doubt be visiting this in the future, espeically in the bleak winter days. 8.5/10.
WHU Independent

bunk wrote:Nell Gwynne Tavern, the Strand - Hidden away and perfect to hide in away from work, colleagues, annoying tourists etc. A proper boozer, friendly atmosphere amongst the darkened interior, light barely making its way in. Guinness was good and at under £15 for 3 pints, decent value for the area. Will no doubt be visiting this in the future, espeically in the bleak winter days. 8.5/10.
Love this pub. Had some great nights there. They had an excellent juke box last time I was there playing some banging punk, indie and goth stuff.
WHU Independent

The Galvanisers Union, Poplar E14 - It's been taken over again and the prices have crept back to where they were originally. £5.20 for a pint of Roadie on draft - do one. We stuck to wine and I must confess I was seriously impressed with the quality of their Abali (Spanish) - rich, but not overly so, smooth, highly drinkable with a lovely after taste - for just about the price of three pints of Roadie.

The staff were decent, the bogs OK but small-ish, the food looked great but the comedy was so very bad I walked out - a stream of poor comedians topped by some woman from overseas doing observational "comedy" with very poor English, a very low voice and who constantly laughed at her own material. Dreadful.

The Tommy Flowers Poplar E14 It's a top pub and it's just like sitting in your living room with your mates and great bar staff on hand at all times. Only two draft beers (Carlesberg and Guinness) which taste good because they have a very small pip run to the tap and the pipes are cleaned weekly. Also at £3.50/£3.90 a pint respectively, it's great value for money. Ale drinkers have a large bottled selection to choose from Young s special IPA, Doombar Ghost Ship, Trooper (sorry GCRO :) ) , some German braun and Weisse beers, and a wide range of indie IPA's which change regularly. Top music too. Given the fact that it's a short bus ride or walk to the Olympic Park and the stadium (15mins tops) I'm surprised more hammers don't get down there Sat pre and post game.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Admiral Nelson, Southwold

Took a day trip out here on Saturday and met up with some of the family. What a gorgeous place Southwold is. Even better, the pubs are all Adnams! Took in the Admiral Nelson, lovely pub and had a pint of Southwold Bitter and a pint of Nut Brown. Both superbly kept and finished off with fish n chips from the chippy down the road.

I'd love to come back and retire here one day.
Went in there today. Can't fail with the pubs in Southwold. Couple of pints of Ghost Ship and a Lovely roast dinner too.

9/10
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

The Windmill in Mayfair.

Apparently it's well known for doing a good range of cracking pies. I wanted to find out, but unfortunately it was a work do and so we got the pre-chosen selection of "nibbles", which included small pies that had the pastry/filling ratio all wrong.

Still, it was a proper boozer, and was rammed on a Thursday with little space to move. They also did a cracking pint of Beavertown Neck Oil, which I had 5 of just to make sure they were consistent.

There's also a "roof terrace", which in all honesty isn't so much a terrace is it is just a flat roof with a few chairs, surrounded by tall buildings.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

The Ring opposite Southwark Tube, Southwark.

Cracking little corner pub adorned with old boxing memorabilia, old gloves and pictures of champions all along the walls. Pulled up a stool at the bench along the window and watched the weird and wonderful London public scuttle by.

Sipped a pint of Iron Maiden themed "Trooper" which the barman assured me was brewed by Maiden's drummer, lovely dark ruby colour and held it's head well, although a touch too bitter for me. Couple on the picnic tables outside were tackling a pair of fine looking hot-dogs which made my mouth water.

Splendid spot to kill time waiting on a perpetually late friend. 8/10.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Herman Ze German (Yep, that really is the name of the place) White City

Restaurant by day and a bar by night. Was quite surprised at the beer selection. Really impressive, made better by the fact there was a two hour "happy hour" with two drinks for the price of one. Not really a pub as such, more of a bar but still not bad. I'd give it a 7.5/10
mushy

Post by mushy »

The Denmark reopens this Thursday.

I also noticed that The Ruskin has once again closed down.
bunk
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by bunk »

The Red Lion, St. James - Following on the same form as the Nell Gwynne Tavern, another hidden away boozer tucked in a little passage. Almost as good, Guinness was tasty, the two bar ladies friendly and lovely pub atmosphere. The sound of people actually talking, crisp packets being opened, beers being served. It could have done with a fireplace for maybe an additional point but overall another great pub. 8.5/10
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

I did the Brewdog pub in Shoreditch last week. It was alright to be fair, not too wanky but also not full of bellends like a lot of "bars" around there. Beer was excellent too.

Had one in the Goose Island bar before too, which was also okay. Craft brewery pubs seem to be the rage now.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

The last pub I was in was Arkles when I went to Everton away. A Liverpool home pub for sure, but it's clear they do a good trade with away fans when Everton are at home. This is obviously not a critique of the beer, Guinness is pretty servicable anywhere, but the staff seemed to know their stuff with away fans, giving anti-Tottenham/Chelsea/Arsenal jokes on the p.a. (they must have this written down depending) and generally being welcoming. Even when the songs turned to 'Dirty Northern...' and 'You'll never work...' the worst response I heard was Dat's nine pound a pint now you know dat. Pretty clean and decent, even the bogs. For a football pub, it seemed several gears up from The Wakefield (gone, and impossible not to improve on I know) and The Cricketers (Sheffield Utd) which were/is the most basic of tap-rooms. Point is, I'm asking what people's experience of 'away' pubs is. Had a truly rotten experience in Coventry back in the day, not violent, but the place was an uninhabitable ****hole.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

The Crown in Biggleswade
I was in there last night for a bike club meet-up. It's a Wetherspoons pub so standard Wetherspoons fayre, but not only that, I stayed in their hotel there. Wetherspoons hotels are 'effin superb. Seriously, for the price, they are FANTASTIC value. The rooms really are top notch. Really impressed. For the hotel I'd give 10/10 I was that impressed.

The Red Lion, Biggleswade
Really, really like this pub. Freindly bar staff, good beers, free juke-box and live band who weren't too shabby. Decent, friendly crowd. Really impressed. 10/10
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

The Bluecoats - High Road,N17
A revamp of "pride of the Lane" a named after the now defunct local Girls school.
Not sure they will get the crowd they are aiming for,as its very foody.Nice place though,and the pint of Hopspur was perfect 7/10

The Two Brewers Scotland green, N17
A proper old school football pub,no real ale on draught,so had London Pride in a bottle.
Great atmosphere, but not the best beer wise 7/10

The Victoria Scotland Green ,N17
Friendly pub that has locals ,so hasn't suffered in the last 18 months due to no major influx of people several times a month,No real ale, but the John Smiths was ok.Great Juke box, and friendly bar staff 8/10
Last edited by woodgreenspur on Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.