what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by WHU Independent »

sendô wrote:Fair play to him then.

How much was he drinking to get cirrhosis of the liver ffs.
Sendo: On average, baring in mind he first started drinking since he was 12, I'd say between 8-10 pints a night all his life since till his age now, which is 62.

That said, I've seen him polish off 32 bottles (the larges one not the 33 cl ones)of beer plus a bottle of wine and shorts (brandy) in one sitting. I've only seen him not drink about 4 days of my life and that was when he was really ill.

When he lived in the USA he would do two half racks of beer a night. At a weekend that plus a couple of bottles of wine and maybe brandy. When we went out, the day had to be planned round him having a drink at one point. I remember being in a car with him, sitting in a massive traffic jam on a freeway and he started getting reall growly and agressive to me and his wife who, was driving. "Oh" she said, "It's beer oclock and you can't get your hands on one, can you?" She divorced him in the end, due to his drinking and his behaviour when drunk. Another time, we found a lovely restruant in Seattle and he refused point blank to go in. We wondered why and then realised it was a "dry" eaterie.

He's lost mates, family and wives through his drinking but luckily I've managed to reunite him with his daughter, some of his old mates and an ex wife now he has days left to live. He never saw his drinking as a problem, he just "liked a drink." He'd them give an example of another mate of mine that drinks more than him and ask "why me and not him?" The reason is my other mate takes at least a month off drinking every year, eats well, has a hard manual job and doesn't do any drugs - and better genes I imagine.

That said he's facing his demise like a man tbh and is going out the way he wants. He told me that he is glad in a way coz "being 80, infirm sitting in front of the TV with a pipe and slippers would kill me more that my illness is."

and he should be dead by the weekend.
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

You sound like a real friend WHU, hope he passes away as peacefully and pain free as possible.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Maybe I've been out of pubs too long now but FFS £7.75 for a pint of Heineken and a packet of crisps at bar in Stansted airport!!??? That's a bit rich.

4/10, it was a nice pint and that dragged the score up a fair bit.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

WHU Independent wrote: Sendo: On average, baring in mind he first started drinking since he was 12, I'd say between 8-10 pints a night all his life since till his age now, which is 62.
Bloody hell. He's done well to live as long as he has.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

sendô wrote:Bloody hell. He's done well to live as long as he has.
I was thinking the same thing. I've known people drink as much but die from other related illnesses (usually heart attacks or cancer)
WHU Independent

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:I was thinking the same thing. I've known people drink as much but die from other related illnesses (usually heart attacks or cancer)
And here is the irony.

His mum died of cancer.
His dad died of cancer.
Two of his other living relatives have terminal cancer.

He doesn't have it whatsoever, but he;'s dying of drinking too much.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

WHU Independent wrote:
And here is the irony.

His mum died of cancer.
His dad died of cancer.
Two of his other living relatives have terminal cancer.

He doesn't have it whatsoever, but he;'s dying of drinking too much.
:shock:

Unreal, although you'd be surprised how they can now determine if you're liable to get certain forms of cancer. My missus had breast cancer and they determined from her family tree and whether her relatives had certain types of cancer, if my missus' kids were likely to have breast cancer. It's all to do with certain genes and doctors can now predict with some accuracy who'll get it in the family and take preventative measures to ensure it's treated very early on.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

East Ham Working Man's Club - East Ham

There was a benefit do last night with Tony Gale and Frankie Mac. Beer was cheap enough, a round of five drinks for under a tenner which you cannot argue with at all. Really good turn out and I'm sure loads of money was raised but the service was really slow. I think they underestimated the number of people who would turn up. Left early as I coudln't hear what was being said as the more pissed up everyone got the louder they got.
Was quite emotional walking round where the old ground used to be. The flats they've built look like a ****ing eyesore. One good think is that the Boleyn Tavern looked quite lively after it's re-vamp.

7/10
Odessa
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Odessa »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Left early as I coudln't hear what was being said as the more pissed up everyone got the louder they got
I went to the last one at EHWMC with Billy Bonds. Couldn’t hear much of what he said due to the above so I didn’t bother going to this. Gale does his best to quieten everyone down but it seems a good proportion just want to catch up with mates and get drunk.
WHU Independent

The Old Ship, Limehouse A group of mates - a long haired rocker, a black born again Christian and a gay feller - all go into a gay pub that is straight friendly, to see the wonderful "Sandra", an old school drag queen and have a whale of a time in the process. Sounds like the first line of a joke, that that's what happened when we went to the Old Ship last Friday.

Great beer, which is well priced - 3 pints of lager for just over £10 - a lovely vibe, top crowd and highly enjoyable entertainment from the aforementioned Sandra, a black, gay drag act. She was racist, sexist, homophobic but as she says "I'm a black, gay transvestite and I can take the piss out of whoever and whatever group I like." Gay men/lesbians/straight men and women/black people/white people/Asian people all had the piss taken out of them terribly and it was all good natured.

Just goes to show how much fun you can have when you park your views and beliefs at the pub door. Open till Midnight too!

10/10 - top night out..
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Odessa wrote:I went to the last one at EHWMC with Billy Bonds. Couldn’t hear much of what he said due to the above so I didn’t bother going to this. Gale does his best to quieten everyone down but it seems a good proportion just want to catch up with mates and get drunk.
I ended up sitting downstairs talking to a few mates I hadn't seen in a good while. Wouldn't have minded listening to it all but it was a joke towards the end, nobody around me was paying any attention to what was happening on the stage.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Did it kick off like the one with Jeff Turner and Garry Bushell?
I still chuckle about that
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

woodgreenspur wrote:Did it kick off like the one with Jeff Turner and Garry Bushell?
I still chuckle about that
I left early-ish to get the last train back but it had all the potential to.

Was heartbreaking walking round where the ground used to be to see the monstrosity of "affordable" housing that's been built in it's place.
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

Got out of work early today and had a few in the Vic in Romford, really busy and good pint of Guinness could’ve stayed there longer.
bunk
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by bunk »

The Pride of Pimlico, Pimlico - The pride if there ever was any, has long gone. Popped in to watch the football (the only place in the area doing so) and with the main area vacated by a bunch sweaty smelly guys who'd come straight from 5-a-side, had to make do with the dodgy, flickery TV in the corner. The steaming drunk guy playing pool was insufferable, his mates not much better and the place is in dire need some proper repairs. The positives, Guinness was under a fiver, the barlady was pretty friendly and told the drunken nob exactly what he was. 3/10.
woodgreenspur

Post by woodgreenspur »

The Calthorpe Arms, Grays Inn Road,WC1X 8JR.

Very much an old school one bar pub.
Has locals, and not just people working in the area.
Beer was good and averagely priced for the area.
Definitly would use again when around there.
Estuary
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

Deleted
Last edited by Estuary on Sat May 21, 2022 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Estuary
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

Deleted.
Last edited by Estuary on Sat May 21, 2022 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woodgreenspur

Post by woodgreenspur »

Estuary wrote:[

It's ready to go.
Good Stuff.
I really wanted to read Bert "Battles" Rossi's book.
But since he passed away,it 's become rare at a sensible price.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

woodgreenspur wrote:The Calthorpe Arms, Grays Inn Road,WC1X 8JR.

Very much an old school one bar pub.
Has locals, and not just people working in the area.
Beer was good and averagely priced for the area.
Definitly would use again when around there.
I go in there a fair bit.
Decent boozer.
Very old skool