what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Al the Airborne Dog wrote:I stayed a few nights in York last October.

I did b&b in the Golden Fleece but spent a lot of time in a lovely gem of a pub just around the corner called The Blue Bell.
It's a very small pub that sticks religiously to 11pm closing but has got to be one of the best pubs I have ever visited.
Yes, the Blue Bell is a tiny, Edwardian gem, only six licensees in 113 years. George Robinson, then landlord of the Blue Bell, hosted the formation of York City Football Club there in 1922. The football club has fallen on hard times but the Blue Bell goes on!
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Cross Keys, Covent Garden
On Endell st, just around the corner from the station.

Had the offerings from Brodies and beers from Windsor & Eaton were also on. Really liked this pub, so much bric a brack around the place!

Good food too and decent prices for this area of the capital.

8/10
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 563 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Tayto crisps too :thup:

Lovely pub, with an impressive floral display out front.

Best "west end" pub in London.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Junco Partner wrote:Tayto crisps too :thup:

Lovely pub, with an impressive floral display out front.

Best "west end" pub in London.
I always thought it was a Spoons and swerved it because of that
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 563 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Definitely worth a visit Romford, it's a rare antidote to the production-line, chain pubs like Spoons and oozes character from every brass fixture..

Although I don't like giving it the big-up as it's my own hidden gem, a calm, quiet oasis when the elbowing crowds of Covent Garden get too much. Tourists don't seem to know about it and thats just fine with me.

The decor is an odd jumble of bric-a-brac, brass instruments and music-hall posters. Long bar down one side and a Houses of Parliament style padded bench down the other seems to add to the sociability, you always end up chatting to the next group along. Good, varied and cheap (for the area) beer selection, with the Tayto crisps the cherry on the cake.

Never eaten in it but I'm told the roasts are good :thup:
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Romford wrote:I always thought it was a Spoons and swerved it because of that
There is the Crossed Keys on Gracechurch Street (opposite Leadenhall Market) and that's a spoons.
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Jennie and I met up with The Collector and the lovely Mrs Collector at the Eilean Iarmain yesterday - I could be seen there most nights years ago but despite it being my local I hadn't been there in several years , don't know if it's an old age thing or objecting to pay pub prices for a drink that costs me pennies to drink at home .
Over two hours passed like it was ten minutes - sadly we had to be on our way to Inverness as our lad volunteers at a charity warehouse on Thursdays otherwise I could have chatted away until closing time - the Eilean Iarmain is one of three bars with real charm on Skye , the others being The Old Inn at Carbost and The Stein Inn at Waternish . 10/10 .
For the uninitiated the name of this pub is Gaelic for "Come on Eileen". The previous owner being a bit of a Kevin Rowland fan.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Junco Partner wrote:The decor is an odd jumble of bric-a-brac, brass instruments and music-hall posters. Long bar down one side and a Houses of Parliament style padded bench down the other seems to add to the sociability, you always end up chatting to the next group along. Good, varied and cheap (for the area) beer selection, with the Tayto crisps the cherry on the cake.:
It's one of the Brodies brewery pubs (from Leytonstone). The Coffee House in Soho is another one. Prefer the Cross Keys though.
bunk
Total likes: 350 likes

Post by bunk »

The White Horse, Peckham - Had as much character as the Olympic Stadium, the pint of Anorak tasted off and the lady behind the bar was fairly rude. It did have some jazz playing, which was quite nice for the 5 minutes we were sat inside and the weather was pretty nice out. 3.5/10.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

EugeneSpeed wrote:It's one of the Brodies brewery pubs (from Leytonstone). The Coffee House in Soho is another one. Prefer the Cross Keys though.
Not really a fan of the Coffee House. I've been in there a few times and just can't get on with their ales. They all seemed overly hoppy to me. My mate fell into the fireplace there so I haven't been back since since we all got a bollocking off the Scottish guvenor.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Cross Keys, Covent Garden
On Endell st, just around the corner from the station.

Had the offerings from Brodies and beers from Windsor & Eaton were also on. Really liked this pub, so much bric a brack around the place!

Good food too and decent prices for this area of the capital.

8/10

Worked in the next street along (Neal St) for over ten years and never went in there. Finally went in about 2 years ago and thought it was great. Proper old skool boozer. Will certainly pay another visit next time I'm in the area.
Vince
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Vince »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:German bier kellar opening up in March round my way. Cannot wait. Saw the beer menu last night. It looks great, loads of different wheat beers and decent bock and pilsners too. They're even going to sell some Belgian stuff too. Bring it on!
If they have Veltins on tap and you have never had that GCRO can definitely recommend it.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Bierkeller is overrated imo, so are the Bavarian Beer Houses dotted around London.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Not really a fan of the Coffee House. I've been in there a few times and just can't get on with their ales. They all seemed overly hoppy to me. My mate fell into the fireplace there so I haven't been back since since we all got a bollocking off the Scottish guvenor.
Yeah, Brodies beers are pretty rank for the most part (IMO of course). When I worked nearby i'd occasionally sneak in for a lunchtime beer and come back to work reeking of booze. So hoppy.

When me and my mates got our first jobs in town in 1999 we'd always end up drinking in there for some reason, and we still drink there now whenever we're in the west end. It's mostly out of familiarity and habit. Everyone's other halves hate it - "Why are we going here? It's weird and it stinks"

:thup:
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 449 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Reading that The Central is going or has gone. Anyone confirm?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

btajim - mcfc wrote:Reading that The Central is going or has gone. Anyone confirm?
Sadly mate... :cry:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2016 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

The Kings Head, Mayfair

Cosy little boozer that has high seats by the windows looking out so you can watch the world go by and they apparently open them in the summer. Couple of pints of Doom Bar went down a treat too. Shame id had lunch as the food menu looked half decent.

8.5/10
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Vince wrote:If they have Veltins on tap and you have never had that GCRO can definitely recommend it.
I've only had it out of a bottle and it was very drinkable so I can only imagine it'd be great on tap.

It appears they've got a bit of everything ...

http://www.thebierkellermaidstone.com/beers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EugeneSpeed wrote:Yeah, Brodies beers are pretty rank for the most part (IMO of course). When I worked nearby i'd occasionally sneak in for a lunchtime beer and come back to work reeking of booze. So hoppy.
Not only do they taste disgusting IMO, I have an aversion to overly hoppy beers, especially the American style IPAs which give me terrible heartburn for some reason. Ale also gives me bad heartburn if I have more than three pints which pisses me off no end.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Anyone who went to Shalke will tell you how good the Veltins was :)
shakawakahislop
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by shakawakahislop »

THE GOLDEN FLEECE-Chelmsford

terrible pub has a certain stale smell and the bar is just disgusting, the manager pends more time eating and on that pokemon game than he does running the pub

1/10 only get a one as they show sports

AVOID THIS PLACE