what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 724 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Reggies Trainwreck Rooftop Deck Bar, Chicago

Well this is a strange but great place. Three floors with a vinyl record shop (like the one out of the film "High Fidelity") on the middle floor, downstairs there's a rock venue, middle floor - record shop and comedy venue, rooftop is a bar with a DJ. Spent a couple of nights here, beer was really good and the food was mental (I had the hottest chicken wings I've ever had in my life). Live bands, decent DJ and a real mix of people this is a great bar, highly recommended. Prices were just below London prices but this is probably due to the weak £££ I'd give it a solid 8/10
Big George
Has liked: 135 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by Big George »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Reggies Trainwreck Rooftop Deck Bar, Chicago

Well this is a strange but great place. Three floors with a vinyl record shop (like the one out of the film "High Fidelity") on the middle floor, downstairs there's a rock venue, middle floor - record shop and comedy venue, rooftop is a bar with a DJ. Spent a couple of nights here, beer was really good and the food was mental (I had the hottest chicken wings I've ever had in my life). Live bands, decent DJ and a real mix of people this is a great bar, highly recommended. Prices were just below London prices but this is probably due to the weak £££ I'd give it a solid 8/10
Theme pub
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1975 likes
Total likes: 1464 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Reggies Trainwreck Rooftop Deck Bar, Chicago

HMV in Hong Kong was like this. It also sold Vespa and Lambretta scooters aswell as a restaurant. I only went in for a CD. :?
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 531 likes
Total likes: 405 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

The Jack Horner - Tott Court Rd

Looks like a million other pubs inside. No real character. Decent selection of beers though and the staff were friendly. I wouldn't go out of my way to go back but it's fine if you're passing by. 7/10
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Bigsby's Pour House, Chicago
This place is a real hidden gem. Tucked away on what looks like an industrial estate out in the suburbs. Really good place to spend an afternoon. Great selection of beers and run by a Phillipino landlord who really knows his ales. Even gave me a free glass and t-shirt. I'd give it a solid 9.5/10 it's that good.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Had a few beers in Leuven yesterday afternoon in Belgium.

Lovely, would highly recommend if ever there visiting. Beautiful square to have some drinks, and lovely Belgium beers (bloody strong though)
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Nesticles wrote:Had a few beers in Leuven yesterday afternoon in Belgium.

Lovely, would highly recommend if ever there visiting. Beautiful square to have some drinks, and lovely Belgium beers (bloody strong though)
I was there in February, a mate of mine lives nearby and we go over there twice a year for a piss up. It's a great place to visit. The Stella Artois that's brewed there is amazing.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

I have to admit, as much as I like beer of all varieties, you can stick that Belgium gear up your aras - well other than Stella and Jupiler. The rest I'll swerve.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

You're just not drining the right ones mate.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

RichieRiv wrote:I have to admit, as much as I like beer of all varieties, you can stick that Belgium gear up your aras - well other than Stella and Jupiler. The rest I'll swerve.
Have you seen this video? Quite funny. Even the bloke who makes Stella can't tell the difference between it and a supermarket lager, or the average boozer in Belgium.

http://petebrown.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04 ... about.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 828 likes
Total likes: 1963 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

The Old Albion, Maidstone

Billed outside as the town's (sorry, is it a city?) oldest pub. Had some time to kill after a day's work, so popped in for a pint or two.

Friendly staff, serving a decent pint, but the music was on too loud for 430pm, really.

Maidstone is crawling with pubs, as it happens. I quite like it, as a place to visit.

6/10
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

You should have went round the corner to Earl's. The Albion is a Shepherd Neame so the beer is hit and miss. It's not a bad pub but there's far better pubs in the area and as you say, there's loads to choose from.

My missus started on a mate of her's ex in the Albion the other week. Embarrassed him in front of the whole pub. **** deserved it - the last time he saw her mate he fractured her skull.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 828 likes
Total likes: 1963 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

That's the next on the list, sorted, cheers.
EugeneSpeed

Post by EugeneSpeed »

prophet:marginal wrote: Maidstone is crawling with pubs, as it happens. I quite like it, as a place to visit.
It really is. An yet when I was a student there I was only interested in the Wetherspoons.

On visiting again, Ye Olde Thirsty Pig and The Flower Pot are my favourites.

The Royal Paper Mill had some decent beers on, but I don't think they'd ever had a black person in there before so we left after one. :clap:
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
I was there in February, a mate of mine lives nearby and we go over there twice a year for a piss up. It's a great place to visit. The Stella Artois that's brewed there is amazing.
Agreed, it's a great place to visit. I had the 'blonde' Stella out there (brown bottle) and thought that was lovely. Omer was lovely too, Kot Madam was my favourite. A lovely pint in the sunshine. Duvel is everywhere over there and does taste really good, but at 8.5% a bottle would leave you wounded after a few.
RichieRiv wrote:I have to admit, as much as I like beer of all varieties, you can stick that Belgium gear up your aras - well other than Stella and Jupiler. The rest I'll swerve.
Some of the bars over there (Capital in Leuven and Delirium in Brussels) have over 2000 beers to pick from. Surely find something amongst them you would like :D
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

We need to organise a KUMB trip to Belgium. I know a few of the Belgian Hammers from Brugges who could tell us where to go.
WoodfordJnr

Post by WoodfordJnr »

The Travellers Friend - Woodford - Newly refurbished, looks amazing to what it was before... Fairly priced beer. Not going to give a rating yet as it was only the opening day will test out friday.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

EugeneSpeed wrote:It really is. An yet when I was a student there I was only interested in the Wetherspoons.

On visiting again, Ye Olde Thirsty Pig and The Flower Pot are my favourites.

The Royal Paper Mill had some decent beers on, but I don't think they'd ever had a black person in there before so we left after one. :clap:
The Thirsy Pig and the Flower Pot are well worth a visit. The Pilot has now sadly gone which was a decent pub with decent ale selection. Never once been in the Royal Paper Mill as its very clicky and usually frequented by the travelling community who aren't very welcoming to strangers from what I've heard. Worthy mentions go to The Rifle Volunteers pub in Union Street, Druids Arms (only when there's a band on), The Dog and Gun and THe Society Rooms near the station.
EugeneSpeed

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:The Thirsy Pig and the Flower Pot are well worth a visit. The Pilot has now sadly gone which was a decent pub with decent ale selection. Never once been in the Royal Paper Mill as its very clicky and usually frequented by the travelling community who aren't very welcoming to strangers from what I've heard. Worthy mentions go to The Rifle Volunteers pub in Union Street, Druids Arms (only when there's a band on), The Dog and Gun and THe Society Rooms near the station.
Yes - The Pilot was shut when we last visited actually.

The people in the Royal Paper Mill were actually fine. Some guy did ask "How the f**k did you end up in here?!" but was actually very friendly once we got talking. But there were a few too many St Georges crosses for our liking and the 'friendly banter' with our black mate got a bit tiresome ("'E looks like Tinie Tempah!!") so we left and crossed the tracks to go to the First and Last and the Bower Inn.

We'll do another crawl there soon so will check some of those out.
Big George
Has liked: 135 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by Big George »

WoodfordJnr wrote:The Travellers Friend - Woodford - Newly refurbished, looks amazing to what it was before... Fairly priced beer. Not going to give a rating yet as it was only the opening day will test out friday.
See you in The Spivs!

Glad to hear, was worried it was going to be mainly a restaurant