what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Estuary
Has liked: 249 likes
Total likes: 112 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by Estuary »

Sounds like a pub crawl

Did a fair few in one day.
Marky
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Marky »

Crawley. My mate is opening his new pub in Brighton tomorrow called The Walrus which he is expecting big things of. He also owns The Lion and Lobster in Hove which is well known and has the roof terrace.
Crawley Iron

Post by Crawley Iron »

Marky wrote:Crawley. My mate is opening his new pub in Brighton tomorrow called The Walrus which he is expecting big things of.
It's not an Allardyce theme pub is it? Seriously, we'll try to track it down the next time we're there - is it in Ship Street?
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1953 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Marky wrote:Crawley. My mate is opening his new pub in Brighton tomorrow called The Walrus which he is expecting big things of. He also owns The Lion and Lobster in Hove which is well known and has the roof terrace.
Many many many long afternoons and epic lock in nights spent at the L&L. Used to sponsor our football team.

I'll have a shufty at the Walrus this weekend.
Marky
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Marky »

It's not an Allardyce theme pub is it? Seriously, we'll try to track it down the next time we're there - is it in Ship Street?[/quote]

yes Crawley in Ship street
BrisbaneRoad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by BrisbaneRoad »

Big George wrote:Made it into the Spivs in Woodford today. Beers good, pretty similar clientele as before with addition of Steve Lomas holding court with a group of pals. Our former skipper looked pretty happy with life.

Only criticism was the noise, considering there was no music and it was just a bunch of bank holiday middle folk having a few beers, it was deafening. To be fair it's not completely finished but all those hard surfaces made it hard to hear your self think.
Seen him around a few local establishments. Really nice bloke. Seen him with Johnny Moncur in Pelly House
light n bitter
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by light n bitter »

The Purple Dog Colchester.
Popped in midweek lunchtime fairly busy with food which looked OK.
Nice selection of beers Woodfordes Wherry, Doombar, Broadside plus a few others I cant remember.
Three lads behind the bar so easy to get served.
Doombar was £3.50 a pint so all good.
Great place to wait while the missus shops!
A solid 9/10 from me.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1975 likes
Total likes: 1464 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Sole Bay Inn, Southwold

An Adnams pub, serving all their range of ales and lagers. I had a couple of Ghost Ships and (Adnams) Beer battered cod and chips.

9/10 :thup:
thosewerethedays
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by thosewerethedays »

Red Lion, Southwold.
It seems to have had some mixed reviews since new owners took it over earlier this year, but our food was very good.
My pint of broadside was lovely as always, as it should be with the brewery up the road, but the good thing was the wife had a Pimms and it came with all the trimmings, she said it was very good.
Barman sounded South African, very helpful and friendly. 9/10
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1082 likes

Post by Rio »

thosewerethedays wrote:Red Lion, Southwold.
It seems to have had some mixed reviews since new owners took it over earlier this year, but our food was very good.
My pint of broadside was lovely as always, as it should be with the brewery up the road, but the good thing was the wife had a Pimms and it came with all the trimmings, she said it was very good.
Barman sounded South African, very helpful and friendly. 9/10
On my visit there in April I had a chat with a couple of the bar staff. They said that some people had moaned as the new owner had cut the size of the food portions. After what appeared to be half a whale and chips, I can only imagine how big the portions were before.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2594 likes
Total likes: 1729 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

The Cromarty Arms Inn , Cromarty .

Five of us ate and we all had something to drink , I had steak pie , chips and veg , Jen had the lasagne, Dan had macaroni cheese and chips , the girls had sandwiches and chips and it all came to just £44 - not bad value really , however the barmaid was a right crabbit cow .
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 889 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Was cycling / wild swimming down in Kent, tracing the ancient Wantsum Channel between Thanet & Canterbury. A warm sweaty day in the saddle meant refreshments were called for towards the end of the day...

Ye Olde Yew Tree Inn in Westbere. If you asked an artist to dream up his vision of the picture perfect English country pub it would look something like this. Whitewashed, timber framed on the outside, all low ceilings, oak beams and polished brass fittings in the inside. The large manicured garden to the rear was just perfect to sit and sip a cirisp, cirtussy IPA int he sun. No idea what the beer was called, but the overall package gets 9/10

I didn't want to leave.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2594 likes
Total likes: 1729 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Junco Partner wrote: A warm sweaty day in the saddle meant refreshments were called for .

I remember those heady days .
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 531 likes
Total likes: 405 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

The Royal Oak - Flimwell East Sussex/Kent border.

Looked like part of a chain from the inside as no real character to it. Beers on draught were bog standard (Fosters etc). Staff friendly and the beer garden was really nice. I could've sat out there all day. 7/10.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Happyhammer52 wrote: The Antigallican,Woolwich

When I first moved to Welling a few years back, my first night out we ended up in here with some Charlton fans. I saw things in that pub that no man should ever see.
hahaha i have heard it use to be bit rough.Its ok now,for pre/post match pint
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2903 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The Fentiman Arms , Vauxhall

Sadly a disappointment yesterday , we popped in for some lunch during the cricket .Slow service despite not being overly busy , a bad pint , the server nearly dropped two plates of food down one of our backs , and pretty expensive .

Yet, as a pub , in terms of decor, ambiance and location it should be a cracker .

Change of management required .

2/10
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 132 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Had a day out in Berkhamstead the other Saturday.

1) The Crystal Palace - First pub you come to if you come out the station straight in front of you. Entered the bar and had three lagers, none of us are usually lager drinkers but we wanted something cold. Decent enough pint, sat by the canal and watch the swans swim up and down, put out glasses back and the landlord was talking about pie and mash. Asked if he was serving it, and said unfortunately not, they had a function and the guy who was having the party was ordering it in. 10/10 reasons posted later

2) The Boat, the next pub down the canal and in the middle of three. Easily the most popular, but at the same time most expensive. Very good beer selection, got our way through three or four bottles of this raspberry number. Tasted lovely. Also had some food in there, £13 for a peri peri burger, chips and onion rings. Decent portion size. 8/10

3) The Rising Sun, the last pub on the route. Outside they have a board with a picture of the shop owners from the League Of Gentleman and have the line "There' nothing for you here". We went in, and immediately a table of locals stood out. Four old blokes sat right beside the bar, whilst queuing for drinks one muttered something like "It really ****'s me off when tourists come in here, and can't work out why locals are served before them". Immediately put our backs up, which was a shame as they had a brilliant selection of ales and craft beers. Had one and then we left. 5/10

Returned to the Boat for a couple more before finishing in the Crystal Palace. We were in the function room, and when being served asked the landlord if he minded us being stood there, said he had no issue as we were behaving and chatting among ourselves. Ten minutes later he came over with three plates of pie and mash, and told us that there was some left over and to tuck in. The guy who's birthday it was came over and was a Hammer (had noticed my tattoo) and had a chat. Ended up dancing with all these older women, and had a grand time.
Not the best pub in the world, but a landlord like that makes such a bloody difference. We gave him a score to say thanks for everything and left for the train station. One of the group had taken out a rum and coke in a glass, so he chased after us, and swapped a plastic tumbler filled to the top and took the glass back.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 132 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:The Cromarty Arms Inn , Cromarty .

Five of us ate and we all had something to drink , I had steak pie , chips and veg , Jen had the lasagne, Dan had macaroni cheese and chips , the girls had sandwiches and chips and it all came to just £44 - not bad value really , however the barmaid was a right crabbit cow .
Is the Cromarty bakery still going? Used to do this amazing toffee loaf.
bunk
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by bunk »

The Lion Tavern, Liverpool - A visit from last week and by all accounts a nice decent pub. Bob Dylan playing on the speakers, friendly landlady and a lovely wooden bar. The Lion Pale Ale was okay but nothing spectacul, as was a pint of The Tiger. A real mixture of people in there, all happy to have a few pints. Would definintely go back if I'm ever in the area. 8/10.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 724 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

bunk wrote: Bob Dylan playing on the speakers,
... sound like hell :shock: