what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by Wembley1966 »

The Railway Inn, Penclawdd
Went in here yesterday to watch the match after spending 4 hours in the sun on a nearby beach. Looked quite large from the outside but most of it given over to a restaurant. Went in the bar and thought that I'd have to go elsewhere as it was very small and more like a cafe than a pub. However only a couple of other people in there and a large screen to watch the match.

They only had one cask beer with a name I can't remember - asked the barman what it was like and he said that you better have a taste as half like it and half don't. A generous 2 inch taster in a half pint glass determined that I didn't like it - tasteless and quite sharp - hence why I can't remember it's name. Ended up drinking draft Blue Moon - a run of the mill wheat beer from Molson Coors.

Ended up with about a dozen people watching the match and fortunately they were mainly locals and Swansea supporters so took pity on me and didn't want the Mancs to win. At half time they brought out complementary bowls of roast potatoes - but this was more providing the left-overs from the Sunday lunch diners than catering to the bar clientele!

6/10 - Nice enough to watch the match, friendly efficient staff, but nothing else to go there for.
the polecat

Post by the polecat »

London Road Brewhouse, Southampton.
This place has its own brewery and sells as few guest beers. Not too busy so easy enough to get served. I had a couple of pale ales and a pizza. The beers were good but the pizza (albeit vegetarian) came with cucumber on top :shock: .
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2549 likes
Total likes: 916 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Sole Bay Inn, Southwold

An Adnams pub, serving all their range of ales and lagers. I had a couple of Ghost Ships and (Adnams) Beer battered cod and chips.

9/10 :thup:
I was nearby last week in The Harbour Inn in Walberswick last week. They do a might fine pint of Adnams in that neck of the woods. Ghost Ship and Explorer were mightily good and I was very impressed with the Sole Star, a great tasting low alocohol lager - 0.9%.

We were staying in Aldeburgh about 50 yards away from the Adnams shop .... where I spent all of my holiday money - it really was like being a kid in a toy shop!!
Rocketron
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by Rocketron »

]
westham,eggyandchips wrote:Sole Bay Inn, Southwold

An Adnams pub, serving all their range of ales and lagers. I had a couple of Ghost Ships and (Adnams) Beer battered cod and chips.

9/10 :thup:
[quote="pablo jaye"
I was nearby last week in The Harbour Inn in Walberswick last week. They do a might fine pint of Adnams in that neck of the woods. Ghost Ship and Explorer were mightily good and I was very impressed with the Sole Star, a great tasting low alocohol lager - 0.9%.

We were staying in Aldeburgh about 50 yards away from the Adnams shop .... where I spent all of my holiday money - it really was like being a kid in a toy shop!![/quote]
I love that beer, but wonder if it is only me that thinks it has a hint of grapefruit
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 724 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Rocketron wrote:I love that beer, but wonder if it is only me that thinks it has a hint of grapefruit
That'll be hops they use.
Wembley1966
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

We're off to Kessingland tomorrow for the week. Will be doing our usual walks along the beach to Southwold and frequenting the Adnams pubs in the town and surrounding area. I've written up on them before on here and don't expect them to be any different from previous visits.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

The Great Chalvedon Hall, Pitsea.

Was in here before and after Haringay Boroughs game with Bowers& Pitsea.
Decent ,friendly pub.Great Juke Box and a decent pint of ale.
8/10
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

The Eagle, Kensal Rise. Truman pub. Friendly locals (I don’t think they had any choice), nice bar staff and an exterotionate pint of Raw Lager (which was worth the £5 asking price). Only stayed for one. Not bad, 7/10

The Pavilion, White City. Been done up since the last time I was here. Not bad. Bit pricey. 6/10.
Last edited by Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1635 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

The Secret Weapon Bar (Formerly - as most of you will know it - The Princess of Wales) Stratford.

This is a "traditional pub by day and low key gaming bar by nite" according to the website http://loading.bar/stratford" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I went because a group called RPG Haven meet down there and play games from 7pm. I went along and turned up at about 7:45 pm and it was banged out with people playing games - at least 8 tables down stairs and at least 2 upstairs - all full up.

I was looking at the beers they had, and as the Guinness was off, I went for a bottle of Signature Brews Dead Cow (or similar) and despite being a lovely drop of beer - hoppy but not overly so, lightly fruity and subtle - it was not worth the £4.80 asking price for was was essentially 3/4 of a pint of beer.

Their price list showed that the cheapest draft beer was £4.50 with most pints being in the £5.00 region. Pretty pricey for this part of London, I felt.

I managed to get into a game of Star Wars RPG with a bunch of guys and settled for drinking Becks Vier at £4.50 a pint. As it goes, it was just what I was looking for. A cold, drinkable lager that wouldn't get me smashed.

I found this pub a bit weird, as the range of games available is wide reaching and not directly complementary. Along with the tabletop RPG crowd - playing D&D 5thed, Cthulhu, SW and more - people played full screen fighting games such as Tekken and DC heroes on consoles, other people played Jenga, whilst one lone guy played that retro Boxing console game that was about on the Speccy IFRC and must have been 30 years old (the game not him).

And at 10:15pm - wooosh mass exodus. I was left behind having a chat and the bar closes at 11:30 pm - and it was empty! I wondered why this was and at 11:45 pm I was walking through the original Stratford Shopping centre I realised why. When you get to the big central concourse in the shape of a circle, there was about 40 people all lining the walls in sleeping bags, sleeping rough, smoking gear and drinking booze from cans. It was like Dawn of the Dean but with masses of homeless people. To be fair I was left alone but I had the feeling that it would have only taken a minor incident for it all to kick off.

All in all a decent, if expensive night, but I've been invited back to continue with the Star Wars Campaign and I'll go again.
WHU Independent

Tonight The Bethnal Green Working Man's club for HATE (Hackney Area Tabletop Enthusiasts).

The best gaming club I know. I played the D&D board game, but if you like war games, all you Warhammer, AOS, Destiny, Bloodbowl, Frostgrave etc fans would have a field day. They also have a wide range of RPG's to sit in and play.

£3.50 a pint of excellent Guinness, A brand new batch of SOD Pale ale brewed on the premises £3.50 a pint and all these drinks are £3.00 a pint if you join the BGWMC for £30 a year, Bargain. I made my membership back in approx a month.

Also gotta Mention Mags is the nicest, most efficient barmaid I've met for years and she deals with a busy bar all on her lonesome.

OK the toilets are pretty rank, but the venue is going through it's annual overhaul so here's hoping they sort them out.

Best place to drink in Bethnal Green by miles IMHO.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Is it me or are some pubs getting a bit weird nowadays?
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Is it me or are some pubs getting a bit weird nowadays?
It used to be a case of a pub was a place you just went to with their only distinction being it was a good pub or a **** pub. Maybe that's why the pub trade has gone down the council gritter.

My bright young things at work are organising a night out (rather than just saying - lets go for a drink) and have spent the week on Amazon ordering Hawaiian shirts - why? Because it's fun apparently. The problem is, so many others are being wacky, fun and individual, that they're no longer individuals.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

RichieRiv wrote:It used to be a case of a pub was a place you just went to with their only distinction being it was a good pub or a **** pub. Maybe that's why the pub trade has gone down the council gritter.

My bright young things at work are organising a night out (rather than just saying - lets go for a drink) and have spent the week on Amazon ordering Hawaiian shirts - why? Because it's fun apparently. The problem is, so many others are being wacky, fun and individual, that they're no longer individuals.
Sweet Jesus, it sounds like you need to get some new work mates. I bet they drink wine too.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Walked through Fitzrovia this morning. It's bucks the trend of pubs disappearing a bit.
Loads of very old pubs in a small area.
WHU Independent

Re Fitzrovia - lots of pubs there, but also a lot of very expensive pubs too. I.e The Carpenters Arms. The Lord of Fitzrovia is a decent boozer though IMHO.
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Sweet Jesus, it sounds like you need to get some new work mates. I bet they drink wine too.
Alas they are my team so I have to be seen to be a team player. So 3 pints of London Lager and I was out of there. Thankfully I have a good old fashioned paddy as a drinking partner. To him a pub is a building that serves beer. Nothing more, nothing less. Buts he's on holiday.
Estuary
Has liked: 249 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Estuary »

Alas they are my team so I have to be seen to be a team player. So 3 pints of London Lager and I was out of there. Thankfully I have a good old fashioned paddy as a drinking partner. To him a pub is a building that serves beer. Nothing more, nothing less. Buts he's on holiday
Where you at Rich? Sounds like you need saving while my countryman is out of town.
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

The wasteland that is Canary Wharf.
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

Drift - Poole Quay.

Apparently it's been here for 3 years, I've only become aware of it the past week. Little micro-pub with local craft beers, annexed to the Stable Bar next door.

Lovely local Dorset beers and ciders, although they literally change their ales each time the kegs empty; subsequently last Friday's stunning 'Ale Be Back' IPA wasn't on offer this week, although this week's replacement 'Gasbag' was very decent too.

Highly recommended to any sorry soul who ends up frequenting Poole by mistake this summer; be ready to nip off around 9pm when they get the singer-songwriter in playing live, mind.

8/10
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

Dreadful place called Doctor's in Edinburgh. Had tickets for a show at the Gilded Balloon and had arranged to meet here. The stench of urine wafting up from the toilets put me in the wrong frame of mind and serving me a pint of heavy in a jug didn't help. And the beer was dead as a dodo. One of the ladies with us braved the toilets and reported wet floors throughout. Someone then visited the gents and then saw the urinals flush and all overflowed cascading a mixture of piss and water onto the floor. Avoid. 1/10.

It got 1 point for showing the WHUFC game on a small TV in the corner (unfortunately, near the toilets) and I got to see both goals before we left.