what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

ooh look who it is
Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by ooh look who it is »

Clubhouse at Tilbury FC. Not today but over the weekend. A generous 6.5 out of 10.

Actually it was alright , cricket was on and they had the Beatles and Tremeloes providing the soundtrack.

Bit of an eye opener though the surrounding parts and a quite a few 'characters' hanging around. Still not the worst place I've drunk in.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 724 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

ooh look who it is wrote:Clubhouse at Tilbury FC. Not today but over the weekend. A generous 6.5 out of 10.

Actually it was alright , cricket was on and they had the Beatles and Tremeloes providing the soundtrack.

Bit of an eye opener though the surrounding parts and a quite a few 'characters' hanging around. Still not the worst place I've drunk in.
I seriously considered moving to Tilbury as the houses were suspiciously cheap compared to the immediate surrounding areas. With hindsight, I think I dodged a bullet buying a place there.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Has anyone tried Cahoots in Soho? The 1940s themed pub?

https://cahoots-london.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What's it like? I love this style and era so looking to try it out soon.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

The Crobar, Soho

Rock pub just off Charing Cross Road. Always like this pub but it's just gone up a big notch now I discovered that they sell Schnierderweiss by the bottle. Great beer, great music, great atmosphere. 10/10
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:The Crobar, Soho

Rock pub just off Charing Cross Road. Always like this pub but it's just gone up a big notch now I discovered that they sell Schnierderweiss by the bottle. Great beer, great music, great atmosphere. 10/10
Shame about the karzi though, eh.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1082 likes

Post by Rio »

DasNutNock wrote: Shame about the karzi though, eh.
The karzi isn't too bad. It's the death trap stairs leading to it that's the problem
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Yeah the toilets ain't great, neither are the stairs but let's face it, it's a place to piss, not to drink. I had to go in the ladies as I was breaking me neck for s slash.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Yeah, I started using the ladies there last time. Slightly less piss on the bog, floor, walls etc.
bunk
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by bunk »

The Hungerford Arms, Shadwell / Whitechapel - I initially swerved this place as it didn't look great and advertised it's pint prices outside, which is often a warning sign. I was pleasantly surprised though, that it wasn't actually all that bad. Games of pool were 50p, the barlady was friendly and 3 pints of IPA came to under £11. 6/10.

The Auld Shillelagh, Stoke Newington - I had pretty high expectations of the place as a mate had kept on rambling about the quality of the Guinness. Took about a couple of minutes for the pint to be served but I must say, it was probably the best pint of the black stuff i've had in London. Naturally one was not enough with a pint that good so a few more were drunk. Could also order pizza from the nearby place which was pretty delicious too. Had the footie on as well, though it was Arsenal. 8.5/10.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

The Big Red, Holloway Road
Great bar / pub with some seriously hot barmaids. Went there on a school night. Big mistake :shock:
Superb juke box and great beer too. If you're into food, it's a seriously good place to eat. I know the head chef there and she's seriously good at what she does.

9/10
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1975 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:, I think I dodged a bullet buying a place there.
Literally at times.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Draft House, Old St

Very decent and buzzing almost every week night, haven't tried it at the weekend. Full of craft keg beers and a few cask ales to match. Expensive, but worth it for the selection they have. Had a few strong ones in here, was well on my way...

North, by North West, Islington

Went in here a couple of weeks ago for their pub quiz. Didn't do very well on the quiz, but enjoyed a few lagers from the Islington brewery. Spacious pub, but I just wish they'd get a few more cask ales on. Very friendly place with a huge following of locals.

Bunch of Grapes, London Bridge

Had a pint of Neck Oil in here. Fantastic brew, citrus flavours. Pub was full when I entered, right below the Shard so plenty of nearby office workers in here as you would expect. Young's pub, so they had their usual Special and Bitter on the pumps. I'm afraid their beers have gone massively downhill over the years though - its a real shame they moved the brewery out of London.

The Globe, London Bridge

Quite a fancy place really. Did not expect to find it, but stumbled into it on the way back from the station. Not a lot to say about the place and not as good as other places around Borough Market, but good enough.
Goldie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Goldie »

The Butchers Hook deep in enemy territory on Fulham Broadway, on Friday last week .
Had the brunch Buritto washed down with a couple of San Miguel. Great food , the place was quiet understandably due to what was going on down the road . Good option if you are over that side of town
Solid 7/10
Marky
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Marky »

Goldie wrote:The Butchers Hook deep in enemy territory on Fulham Broadway, on Friday last week .
Had the brunch Buritto washed down with a couple of San Miguel. Great food , the place was quiet understandably due to what was going on down the road . Good option if you are over that side of town
Solid 7/10
Sunday Lunch or even Friday nights here are decent
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

The Wheatsheaf, Maidstone.
This is the nearest pub to the set of Shameless where I live. Yesterday afternoon was the first time I've been in there and it's a real strange one. No baseball caps or vests allowed, mobile phones have to be used outside, a sign up saying "POSITIVELY NO SWEARING ALLOWED" and an extremely obliging barman who takes your order and brings your beer over to your table. Really good pint of Guinness in there. Watched the game there sat right in front of the telly. I'm not sure whether to give it 0 out of 10 for it's crap golf club type rules or 10 out of 10 for the service and beer.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 420 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:The Wheatsheaf, Maidstone.
This is the nearest pub to the set of Shameless where I live. Yesterday afternoon was the first time I've been in there and it's a real strange one. No baseball caps or vests allowed, mobile phones have to be used outside, a sign up saying "POSITIVELY NO SWEARING ALLOWED" and an extremely obliging barman who takes your order and brings your beer over to your table. Really good pint of Guinness in there. Watched the game there sat right in front of the telly. I'm not sure whether to give it 0 out of 10 for it's crap golf club type rules or 10 out of 10 for the service and beer.
When you've drank in Clayton, Gorton or Wythenshawe then come back to me about Shameless! I get baseball caps and vests but phones seems excessive.

I'm staying in E6 on a week Tuesday and a week Saturday as I'm flying to Tbilisi from Gatwick. f*** knows where I'm drinking when I'm there. The White Horse went a while ago and I hear The Hammers has temporarily gone again. The Denmark was always very hit and miss so I guess it's the Conservative Club. I recall my last few months as a local only too well. There was literally f*** all to do.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1975 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

The Golden Lion Dean St. Soho

Lovely little pub. Possibly the best pint of IPA I've ever had.

BT Sport and SKY

8/10
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2406 likes
Total likes: 2614 likes

Post by sendô »

The Duke Of Wellington near Sloane Square. Proper old fashioned boozer, complete with crappy benches outside. Lovely pint of Spitfire Lager.

In fact that part of London seems different to most other places in that there's an abundance of small, local pubs that aren't noisy bars or gastro-pub, restauranty type places, and that seem to do just fine. People seem happy to go for a few jars and then go home without the need for loud music, tray after tray of jager bombs or a poncy burger on a breadboard first.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

The Starting Gate- Wood Green,N22.
A boozer opposite Ally pally train station.Big old Victorian pub whose name harks back to the race track nearby that closed in 70/71.
4 real ales on,as the other 3 were a bit citrus like,i went for the Doom Bar.Not my favourite pint,but a safe bet and this place kept it well. Bucking the trend in the area by being very busy Friday nights and Saturday/Sunday day times.Was quite quiet last night though.
7/10
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

btajim - mcfc wrote:When you've drank in Clayton, Gorton or Wythenshawe then come back to me about Shameless! I get baseball caps and vests but phones seems excessive.
I've drank in Salford, does that count? 8-)