what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 315 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by Centre Half »

Parlour Bar Canary Wharf 1/10

The sort of place I hate
S-H
Has liked: 5721 likes
Total likes: 9640 likes

Post by S-H »

The Fire House, in Curry Rival (Somerset) on Friday

Some of the best grub I've had, and their in house brewed beer was pretty tasty too.

9/10

Red Lion, Babcary (Somerset) on Sunday

Lovely sunday roast, friendly service as always.

Funny sign at the bar.. "We do not accept responsibility for any gooch related injuries"

8/10
Big George
Has liked: 135 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by Big George »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
I've drank in Salford, does that count? 8-)
If you walk from Manchester city centre to the Etihad there's a pub called the Bradford Inn on the way that will satisfy all your shameless needs.

I don't think I've felt so out of place anywhere in my life and I have drunk (and enjoyed drinking) in some proper dives.

It wasn't threatening, just odd, disconcerting and hopeless. (it was ten years ago, probably a gastropub now)
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

somerset-hammer wrote:The Fire House, in Curry Rival (Somerset) on Friday

Some of the best grub I've had, and their in house brewed beer was pretty tasty too.

9/10

Red Lion, Babcary (Somerset) on Sunday

Lovely sunday roast, friendly service as always.

Funny sign at the bar.. "We do not accept responsibility for any gooch related injuries"

8/10
I've not been around that part of Somerset enough. Sounds like some good pubs. I lived in Street for a bit and the pubs there were poor (something to do with the town's religious leaders banning pubs so they were all hotel bars). Went to Taunton for the first time the other day and I was pleasantly surprised.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

btajim - mcfc wrote:When you've drank in Clayton, Gorton or Wythenshawe then come back to me about Shameless! I get baseball caps and vests but phones seems excessive.
There's always the Coach and Horses in Doncaster:

https://twitter.com/footyawayday/status ... 1706425344
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Wembley1966 wrote: There's always the Coach and Horses in Doncaster:

https://twitter.com/footyawayday/status ... 1706425344
My kinda pub.I was actually chuckling out loud watching that :)
Dover KUMB fan
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by Dover KUMB fan »

The Pilot. Dungeness. Born & Bred on the South East Kent coast, & this was my first vist.
The fish & chips are to die for, & I hope you have a big old appetite for it if you pay it a visit.
Pretty quick service, & 3 Guest ales on the go to please us beer monsters.
9/10 Purely on the smell of a fisherman's welly hitting you when you walk in. Otherwise, I would have given it a 10.
water
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by water »

Slightly of topic, but does anyone know of any dog friendly pubs around the Waterloo/ Blackfriars area. I know ther are websites etc , but I know you may well know some that don't advertise to the world and it's dog the fact they are dog friendly !!
Thanks in advance :scarfer:
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

^^^ I've been in the Anchor and Hope on The Cut about 18 months ago and as it's a gastro-type pub I remember dogs in there then as I wish I'd taken mine along with me.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 724 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Big George wrote: If you walk from Manchester city centre to the Etihad there's a pub called the Bradford Inn on the way that will satisfy all your shameless needs.

I don't think I've felt so out of place anywhere in my life and I have drunk (and enjoyed drinking) in some proper dives.

It wasn't threatening, just odd, disconcerting and hopeless. (it was ten years ago, probably a gastropub now)
If it's got a flat roof I'll give it a swerve.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1975 likes
Total likes: 1464 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

water wrote:Slightly of topic, but does anyone know of any dog friendly pubs around the Waterloo/ Blackfriars area. I know ther are websites etc , but I know you may well know some that don't advertise to the world and it's dog the fact they are dog friendly !!
They all look like dogs when you first walk in....... by 11pm they look like Michelle Keegan.
water
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by water »

Thanks Wembly, I knew I had come to right place.."the font of all knowledge "
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 420 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Big George wrote:If you walk from Manchester city centre to the Etihad there's a pub called the Bradford Inn on the way that will satisfy all your shameless needs.

I know The Bradford. It's a Joseph Holts pub for me. I think I've been there a grand total of once. Unsure it's a gastropub given the area in general...

There's some equally grim looking places near me but they're often well run. Banning orders ensure you can't drink in the borough and the regulars will let someone know if they're being out of hand.

Still unsure what to expect in E6 next week. I hear The Hammers has temporarily shut again.
mushy
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 833 likes

Post by mushy »

It has? hadnt heard that, will take a look at the weekend.

The White Horse has been flattened by the way.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 531 likes
Total likes: 405 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

mushy wrote:It has? hadnt heard that, will take a look at the weekend.

The White Horse has been flattened by the way.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1636 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

The Galvanisers Union, Devas Street, Bow E3 : Something has changed here. On the down side the wide range of beers provided here has diminished, but on the good side so have the prices. Stll got Lagunas IPA, some guest beers and Aspinall's cider, plus Blue Moon, all of which seem to have goner down in price. The food is excellent btw and the bar staff are really nice and helpful. Decent music too. 8/10

The Widow's Son, Devon's Road Bow E3. This was closed down for a while but has been done up - in a decent way - and they have even started the bun hoisting ceremony, with two buns in a net above the bar, so its been going for 2 years.

It's very clean, nicely laid out and have a lovely outside eating area/beer garden. I think the owners are Moroccan and thy are very welcoming. Estrella, plus other decent lagers on tap plus some bitters I can't remember the name of. Decent prices too. 7/10

The Angel of Bow, Devon's Road. E3 without doubt THE MOST EXPENSIVE PUB I have ever been in in East London. I should have known from the patrons outside: Men dressed in black skinny jeans with Hitler haircuts and big beards. I walked in an a bloke who looked and acted like the owner was an Chinese/Asian chap, with a Hawaiian shirt on, pink, flat mohican with THE BIGGEST nose piercing I have ever seen, and I've seen a few. It was like a padlock - I couldn't see his lips. Nothing wrong with this, as I've had a mohican and have got piercings, but he just oozed trendiness.

Al;l the pumps have little brown luggage labels on them, with little brown raffia ties to attach them. I looked at the first beer - ohh 8.1 % and £5.40 a pint - nice. Another beer I'd never heard of - £6.00 a pint, a bit pricey but hey I might give it a go. Legunas £3.50 a pint - I'm sorted Wait a min....

...Those prices were for either a half pint or even worse 2/3's of a pint. £12 a pint of beer, £7.00 a pint of Legunas - the AVERAGE price was £10 a pint. In the East End of London.

I had to have a word with the barman - why so pricey. The answer: they are small, craft made beers, and very rare to find. Like Legunas at £7.00 a pint, I pointed out, whereas in The Galvanisers the same beer was £5 a pint. Ahh but there was a Miles Davies type jazz band on, so they had overheads. Jeez.

I ordered their cheapest pint of bitter and a small white wine (house) and it came to £12. Joke.

It is very well decorated and well laid out, plus the music was very decent - apart from that over-expensive pretentious crap. So 3/10,
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

WHU Independent wrote:I had to have a word with the barman - why so pricey. The answer: they are small, craft made beers, and very rare to find. Like Legunas at £7.00 a pint, I pointed out, whereas in The Galvanisers the same beer was £5 a pint.
Haha. What a plonker. You can get that in Sainsburys and M&S now!
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 315 likes

Post by Centre Half »

WHU Independent wrote:The Galvanisers Union, Devas Street, Bow E3 : Something has changed here. On the down side the wide range of beers provided here has diminished, but on the good side so have the prices. Stll got Lagunas IPA, some guest beers and Aspinall's cider, plus Blue Moon, all of which seem to have goner down in price. The food is excellent btw and the bar staff are really nice and helpful. Decent music too. 8/10

The Widow's Son, Devon's Road Bow E3. This was closed down for a while but has been done up - in a decent way - and they have even started the bun hoisting ceremony, with two buns in a net above the bar, so its been going for 2 years.

It's very clean, nicely laid out and have a lovely outside eating area/beer garden. I think the owners are Moroccan and thy are very welcoming. Estrella, plus other decent lagers on tap plus some bitters I can't remember the name of. Decent prices too. 7/10

The Angel of Bow, Devon's Road. E3 without doubt THE MOST EXPENSIVE PUB I have ever been in in East London. I should have known from the patrons outside: Men dressed in black skinny jeans with Hitler haircuts and big beards. I walked in an a bloke who looked and acted like the owner was an Chinese/Asian chap, with a Hawaiian shirt on, pink, flat mohican with THE BIGGEST nose piercing I have ever seen, and I've seen a few. It was like a padlock - I couldn't see his lips. Nothing wrong with this, as I've had a mohican and have got piercings, but he just oozed trendiness.

Al;l the pumps have little brown luggage labels on them, with little brown raffia ties to attach them. I looked at the first beer - ohh 8.1 % and £5.40 a pint - nice. Another beer I'd never heard of - £6.00 a pint, a bit pricey but hey I might give it a go. Legunas £3.50 a pint - I'm sorted Wait a min....

...Those prices were for either a half pint or even worse 2/3's of a pint. £12 a pint of beer, £7.00 a pint of Legunas - the AVERAGE price was £10 a pint. In the East End of London.

I had to have a word with the barman - why so pricey. The answer: they are small, craft made beers, and very rare to find. Like Legunas at £7.00 a pint, I pointed out, whereas in The Galvanisers the same beer was £5 a pint. Ahh but there was a Miles Davies type jazz band on, so they had overheads. Jeez.

I ordered their cheapest pint of bitter and a small white wine (house) and it came to £12. Joke.

It is very well decorated and well laid out, plus the music was very decent - apart from that over-expensive pretentious crap. So 3/10,
Was in the galvanisers last night for the weekly pub quiz.

Very decent pub. Only critique would be they have no guinness, murphy's only
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Murphy's is a lot better!!!
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 724 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

The Earl of Lonsdale Westbourne Grove W11

Sam Smith’s pub with the usual crop of their of ales and beers. I went for the wheat beer with really is good and very drinkable. It’s a bit of a strange pub with various snugs around the pub which are cordoned off by the smallest doors I’ve ever seen. There’s a big lounge which looks like an old Victorian gentleman’s drinking establishment. Quirky to say the least. Food looked ropey.

7/10

Sun in Splendour, Portobello Road W11

f*** this place. Full of pretentious c**** and decor to suit. It even smells wrong. I didn’t even stop for a beer. In and straight back out again.

0/10