what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 724 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

The Collector wrote:Fullers are not my favourite brewery.
Sacrilege.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Didn't realise Fullers had taken that place over. Gotta say, as a punter, if a pub is going to taken over by someone big then i'd take Fullers over almost any of the other guys - Greene King, Youngs, Punch etc. I'd love a Fullers pub near me - always seem to do such a nice job of places. Recently - The Half Moon in Herne Hill and The Great Northern Railway Tavern in Hornsey.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Agree 100%. If nothing else, at least you're guaranteed a decent pint.

I've just rediscovered Fuller's Honey Dew Organic Golden Ale. Lovely stuff.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1975 likes
Total likes: 1464 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Every year me and a few blokes from work have a little "ramble" across London. This Saturday is this years' walk so I'll be using this thread as a bit of a guide. We're starting at Liverpool St about 9am and making our way to Parliament hill view point. Then heading down through Regents Park, Central London and finishing off at Waterloo.

I suppose its a bit of a Beano. Hoping to break a previous record of 12 pubs in a day. The difficult bit is remembering them all after a few 'shandys'

Any advice is welcome. :thup:
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

^^^ Best advice I've got is to pay for your drinks using Apple/Google Pay, then you can see later on which pubs you went into.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2425 likes
Total likes: 4251 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Friday I did the Gipsy Moth in Greenwich - nice beer garden, decent enough pub grub, followed by some wine bar in St Katharines which was okay and finished at the Captain Kidd in Wapping (very nice Cheese and Onion Crisps).

All in all a nice way to spend the day

An 8/10 day. in 7/10 places.
EugeneSpeed

Post by EugeneSpeed »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Every year me and a few blokes from work have a little "ramble" across London. This Saturday is this years' walk so I'll be using this thread as a bit of a guide. We're starting at Liverpool St about 9am and making our way to Parliament hill view point. Then heading down through Regents Park, Central London and finishing off at Waterloo.

I suppose its a bit of a Beano. Hoping to break a previous record of 12 pubs in a day. The difficult bit is remembering them all after a few 'shandys'

Any advice is welcome. :thup:
Argh - missed this. Where did you end up? What a day for it!

Southampton Arms and Bull and Last near Parliament Hill View Point are both decent.
mushy
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 834 likes

Post by mushy »

EugeneSpeed wrote:Didn't realise Fullers had taken that place over. Gotta say, as a punter, if a pub is going to taken over by someone big then i'd take Fullers over almost any of the other guys - Greene King, Youngs, Punch etc. I'd love a Fullers pub near me - always seem to do such a nice job of places. Recently - The Half Moon in Herne Hill and The Great Northern Railway Tavern in Hornsey.
I used to drink London Pride in that place about 20 years ago when an Irish guy managed it.
I assumed it was a Fullers pub back then.
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

mushy wrote:I used to drink London Pride in that place about 20 years ago when an Irish guy managed it.
I assumed it was a Fullers pub back then.
That would have been Ger (“don’t call me Gerard!”). He convinced the landlady to allow him to try bringing in different beers from the suppliers. Before that it was Tetley or Adnams Southwold. I recall that he got married and got his own pub somewhere near Greenwich.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

The Henley Arms, North Woolwich.

Stands on the site of the original Victorian pub frequented by dockers back in the day. It's replacement was a proper 60's estate boozer when they knocked down the terraced houses and built a beautiful tower block.

The only pub left in N. Woolwich. The California has closed and the guvnor has taken over The Standard and turned that into a ripper joint.

A tough house with quite a few suspect characters in there, but all aggressively West Ham.
westham,eggyandchips

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Every year me and a few blokes from work have a little "ramble" across London. This Saturday is this years' walk so I'll be using this thread as a bit of a guide. We're starting at Liverpool St about 9am and making our way to Parliament hill view point. Then heading down through Regents Park, Central London and finishing off at Waterloo.

Any advice is welcome.
EugeneSpeed wrote:Argh - missed this. Where did you end up? What a day for it!

Southampton Arms and Bull and Last near Parliament Hill View Point are both decent.
Started at The Hamilton Hall.
Obviously its a Wetherspoons so you don't expect much. But I must say, the variety has improved massively since my last visit. Had a couple of pints of Shipyard Ale, which at 9.30 in the morning tasted rather nice. 7/10

The Slaughtered Lamb, Clerkenwell
Rather quaint little pub. Had a pint of Sierra Nevada Braupakt. Could of stayed in there longer. 8/10
http://www.theslaughteredlambpub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Queens Head, Kings Cross
Probably my favourite pub and beer of the day. Really charming old pub, loads of character. Had a couple of pints of Bristol Beer Factory Milk Stout. Beautiful smooth pint. 9/10
http://queensheadlondon.com/beer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Assembly House, Kentish Town
It was probably trying to hard to be something it isn't. Loads of noise from rugger buggers watching the game and it just felt a like a run of the mill pub that was trying to be cool. Had a pint of Punk which went down well and the bar maid was very friendly. 6/10
https://www.greeneking-pubs.co.uk/pubs/ ... ntent=6018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Monarch, Camden
Walked past this pub loads of times over the years but never went in until Saturday. Bit weird looking inside, barely a soul in there. We sat in some reserved seating, but no-one asked to move. Sat in some big wrap-around seating. For the life of me I cant remember what I drank. I'd recommend the pub though. 7/10
http://monarchbar.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Lytleton Arms, Mornington Crescent
Our final pub of the day. Playing some really good early 80's music and a nice atmosphere. I'd definitely come back here on a Saturday night. Security were cool with us coming in considering we'd been drinking most of the day and a couple of the lads were a bit lairy. Had a couple of pints of Camden Pale Ale. 8/10
https://www.thelytteltonarmscamden.co.uk/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
westham,eggyandchips

Unfortunately didn't make it further than that due to time and to us all being pretty ****ed. We covered about 10mls though. So a good day.
mushy
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 834 likes

Post by mushy »

RichieRiv wrote:The Henley Arms, North Woolwich.

Stands on the site of the original Victorian pub frequented by dockers back in the day. It's replacement was a proper 60's estate boozer when they knocked down the terraced houses and built a beautiful tower block.

The only pub left in N. Woolwich. The California has closed and the guvnor has taken over The Standard and turned that into a ripper joint.

A tough house with quite a few suspect characters in there, but all aggressively West Ham.
The Standard is still open though right?
That makes two pubs surely?
Does the Asian bloke still run the Henley?
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

mushy wrote:The Standard is still open though right?
That makes two pubs surely?
Does the Asian bloke still run the Henley?
The Standard is now a strip joint. Bit like The White Horse in Shoreditch. Pub in name only.

No unfortunately the guv'nor passed away. The funeral was week before last. His brother still runs the newsagent up the road though towards Silvertown.

I was there for the wake for one of the wife's cousins. It was delayed due to wake of the landlord. Shame really as this was the last cousin left in N.Woolwich (there were 36 of them there at one point). Now there's no reason for them to go back.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1635 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Tommy Flowers, Poplar E14 - small place, like a sitting room, excellent Guinness and it sells Trooper (Iron Maiden's beer)and Motorhead - in bottles. I haven't tried the Motorhead yet, but Trooper - what a f'in beer! It's just like a light and bitter from the old days - all in one bottle. It's liquid crack - amazing stuff. Prices are tops too: £3.80 a Guinness and £3.40 a Carlesburg. No draft ale for you ale types though - it's bottles for you. Excellent bar staff as well, but tiny, though clean, bogs. 10/10 for the pub and the Trooper

The Good Samaritans, Whitechapel E1 Popped in for a few beers with a mate who is a regular. Clean albeit blandly decorated pub, very friendly and helpful bar staff, prices are a bit stiff, nearly £5.00 a pint, decent Guinness, sport on the TV at reasonably pitched levels, engaging locals but sadly no nurses! 8/10

The Eagle, City Road, Lovely big pub, clean, lovely bar staff, with a massive range of ales and beers. I even went off piest and had a pint of Bevertown's Clearwater I think it was called. Made from filtered water and was very eco friendly with some of the profits are donated to various environmental charities. It hit the spot on a warm afternoon.I wished I asked the price first though, as it was close to £6.00 a pint! 8/10
djclipz
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by djclipz »

Duke of Edinburgh, Brixton

Was there for the footy on Sunday so not really fair to rate it due to the mass of people that bundled into the place, although we did get some decent *chicken burgers etc on such a busy day. The speed of the pumps for beer were excruciating slow, so imagine the queues. Best part about it was the back garden (concrete). I'd imagine it will be a pretty chilled place normally. So much seating and there are a couple of outside bars and a few big TVs up for when there is footy on.
EugeneSpeed

Post by EugeneSpeed »

WHU Independent wrote:The Eagle, City Road, Lovely big pub, clean, lovely bar staff, with a massive range of ales and beers. I even went off piest and had a pint of Bevertown's Clearwater I think it was called.
"Up and down the City Road, in and out The Eagle"

I think Brewdog make that under the name Brewgooder?
smuts
Has liked: 1493 likes
Total likes: 1429 likes

Post by smuts »

The Harrow for a work do.

Flat beer, a queue for the bar (yes you have to queue along with people ordering food and asking for no Coleslaw) for about half hour despite it being half empty.

Absolute joke of a place. 1 out of 10.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

WHU Independent wrote:Tommy Flowers, Poplar E14 - small place, like a sitting room, excellent Guinness and it sells Trooper (Iron Maiden's beer)and Motorhead - in bottles. I haven't tried the Motorhead yet, but Trooper - what a f'in beer! It's just like a light and bitter from the old days - all in one bottle. It's liquid crack - amazing stuff. Prices are tops too: £3.80 a Guinness and £3.40 a Carlesburg. No draft ale for you ale types though - it's bottles for you. Excellent bar staff as well, but tiny, though clean, bogs. 10/10 for the pub and the Trooper
That's really strange. I tried Trooper once and really didn't like it (it was on draught at a festival so may have been a bad pint). I'll have to try the bottled stuff and see if it's any better. :thup:

* Just found out they're doing Trooper on draught at the Ramblin' Man festival tomorrow. Just as well really as I've also found out Shepherd Neame are doing a lot of the beers there which are mainly crap.

I'll give it a go and report back.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 113 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

The White Lion, a tiny pub in the centre of Bristol which has been licenced for over 200 years and has a capacity of 10 people at a stretch. The main benefit at present are the seats outside from where you can observe all the passing talent while your legs burn in the sun.

Three pints of the soon-to-be-rationed-due-to-CO2-crisis Thatchers Gold. 9/10.