what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by simonpaulthomas »

The Roundabout - Plymouth, Devon;

It's a Scream pub, so if it weren't for the fact that I know the manager and get 2 pints for £4.20, I'd have run out into the oncoming traffic.

[Note - if you should ever be unfortunate enough to find yourself in here, say you know Sean ;)]

4/10
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

The George, Strand. Nice when it's quiet but too many ****ing shoppers/tourists at this time of year, 6/10.

Goose, Yankee IPA, 6%, bloody good pint mind.

Don't fancy my bloke's chance of making bail later this morning *hic*
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

The Royal Steamer - Chelmsford

7/10

Been going there for years, used to be where the actors from the local theatre dropped in for a pint, David Soul once knocked my mate's pint over, wasn't so hard without Starsky, only had Doctor Legg for back up
lewisham-mer
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by lewisham-mer »

The Flying Pig, East Dulwich

Lovely pub, but on the pricey side, by the food portions are huge

8.5/10
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

swash wrote:The Royal Steamer - Chelmsford
Used to go there at lunchtimes when I was in the 6th form at the grammar school round the corner! Those were the days when it was the punters that got warned for drinking under age rather than the publicans for serving them.
Rust
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by Rust »

likemydreams wrote:the alma just won pub of the year in Islington so must be ok :thup:

http://www.timeout.com/london/lovelondo ... ars-&-pubs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just moved around the corner from this, the Weavers Arms opposite couldn't be more different!

Sunday - The Hunter S, Dalston. 9/10

Good roast, good music but not enough beers to choose from
Baron Von Marlon
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Baron Von Marlon »

The Birkbeck Tavern, Leyton - Under new management, still serving a good collection of ales and your usual lagers etc etc good home made grub as well. A cosy little pub where you're made to feel very welcome, and a nice change from the other boozers round that way. 8/10
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

stuboy wrote:At the long weekend……

The Savoy Inn - St Clears. Grotty carpet, empty at 9:30pm - 6/10
The Angel - Narberth, Just grotty all over and very 'local' - 5/10
The Kingham Plough - Kingham. Not bad at all, nice selection of local beers, proper fireplace pub. 8/10
The Wild Rabbit - Kingham. Lovely. 9/10
The Chequers - Chipping Norton. 7/10
The Kings Arms - Stow. Great burgers. 7/10
The Porch House - Stow. Rickety old thing but nice inside. 8/10
The Kingsbridge - Bourton. Nice from the outside, bit hungry horse on the inside. 6/10
The Mill House Hotel - Kingham. Nice refurbished Mill. Okay for a hotel bar but empty. 7/10
The Nags Head, Brentwood. First time I’d been, not as good as I was expecting. 7/10

…hic.
Give Pegg and Frost a bell , that sounds like the sort of film they would make - add a couple of Aliens and a nice looking blonde and it could work - don't forget the sound track .
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

The Rose & Crown, Woodford

Went there on Tuesday night for the quiz. Was told teams had to be a minimum of two people so Billy-no-mates wasn't allowed to join in. Guinness was OK, barmaid was nice.

6 / 10
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Give Pegg and Frost a bell , that sounds like the sort of film they would make - add a couple of Aliens and a nice looking blonde and it could work - don't forget the sound track .
Will someone please tell me what the f*** WTF means?
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:The Rose & Crown, Woodford

Went there on Tuesday night for the quiz. Was told teams had to be a minimum of two people so Billy-no-mates wasn't allowed to join in. Guinness was OK, barmaid was nice.

6 / 10
Funny pub that, should be a gold mine but I get the feeling that no one there gives a toss
likemydreams
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by likemydreams »

Chinners92 wrote:
Just moved around the corner from this, the Weavers Arms opposite couldn't be more different!

Sunday - The Hunter S, Dalston. 9/10

Good roast, good music but not enough beers to choose from
weavers is a terrible place ,Hunters used to be my local when it was the perseverance! the lord Clyde isnt a bad pub in essex rd
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

The Grape and Grain (Crystal Palace)

Snuck in for a swift one on the way home tonight. A mind-boggling collection of local-ish beers, from breweries in Lambeth, Wandsworth, Southwark and 'further afield' in Suffolk and Kent. Went in for a lovely pint of Shrimpers, an ale brewed down in Gravesend.

Even heard a Smiths album track on the playlist.

Microscopically let down by the pot of salted peanuts they served (might have a been a touch stale), but a pub I'd recommend to one and all.

9.5/10
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

The Mazenod club Kilburn, great pint of Guinness and the bar staff are excellent aswell. 9/10
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Big George wrote:Funny pub that, should be a gold mine but I get the feeling that no one there gives a toss
There's definitely something strange about it. Someone next to me bought an elderflower and soda water for 30p as it was a "cheap night out". f*** me, no wonder pubs are dying on their arses.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

stuboy wrote:Give Pegg and Frost a bell , that sounds like the sort of film they would make - add a couple of Aliens and a nice looking blonde and it could work - don't forget the sound track .
Will someone please tell me what the **** WTF means?[/quote]

It's the two actors out of Spaced & Shaun of the Dead who spent most of their time in the pub
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Give Pegg and Frost a bell , that sounds like the sort of film they would make - add a couple of Aliens and a nice looking blonde and it could work - don't forget the sound track .
stuboyr wrote:Will someone please tell me what the **** WTF means?
w4hammer wrote:It's the two actors out of Spaced & Shaun of the Dead who spent most of their time in the pub
I'm wasted here.

:lol:
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

The Galvanisers Union - Bromley-By-Bow. http://galvanisersunion.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comfortable pub, shabby distressed look, decent beers and craft ales but crap lager unless you want to pay £5.00 a pint for Blue Moon.

I'm not a natural Ale drinker but I have taken to both London Pale Ale and Yakima Red, but it's pricey - a three pint round came to £14! My mate drunk a specific IPA that I had a go at but is was wayyy to flowery and hoppy for me.

Food is a bit of a joke tbh and we were frowned at by the bar staff because of this. My mate ordered a portion of chips and a sausage roll for about £6.00 in total. The chips were really well done and cooked to perfection, but my mate had to wait 25 mins for his sausage roll to turn up and when it did it was about as big as three custard creams stacked together width ways! It was tiny and all three of us burst out laughing much to the chagrin of the bar staff! My mate eat it in one mouthful!

The music was decent (old groovy Mowtown and some funky stuff) and the way the women bar staff dealt with a troublesome customer was a joy to behold.

A decent night out but if you want to go on a session, you'll need a lot of folding or a CC. Soo......

Atmosphere 8/10
Food 3/10
Quality of Beers 8/10
Range of Beers - Ale 9/10 Larger 3/10
Prices 4/10
likemydreams
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by likemydreams »

This is a great thread, got me thinking about all the pubs closed down and found this site
http://www.closedpubs.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Found this old pic of the pub my nan and grandad owned I'm in the pic top left being held by my mum :)
http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/london/n1_i ... ameve.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

Wembley1966 wrote:The Royal Steamer - Chelmsford
Used to go there at lunchtimes when I was in the 6th form at the grammar school round the corner! Those were the days when it was the punters that got warned for drinking under age rather than the publicans for serving them.
What era was that Wembley? I went to the same school and I remember a pub in the late 80s further down Duke Street (but I forget the name) where if you were over 18 you were older than most other customers there. Happy days.