what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

likemydreams
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by likemydreams »

3times wrote:Last night was;

The Havering Well (ex Rush Green Tav) - absolutely dead. £7.40 pint of Coors and a VAT. Bar staff ok but then my son works there so a bit bias!!, and it is my local.

Moons in Hornchurch. Not as busy as a friday, slow getting served but decent prices, £5.74 pint of Coors and a VAT.

Frankies in Hornchurch. Very busy but get served ok. Have to say the DJ was ok as I know him. Expensive - £8.80 pint of Peroni and a VAT.
Stupid prices
We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by We_are_BML »

£8.80 for a pint in Hornchurch, is that a wind up? :shock:
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 410 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

We_are_BML wrote:£8.80 for a pint in Hornchurch, is that a wind up? :shock:

A beer and a VAT mate (Vodka and Tonic i'm guessing)
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Earl’s in Maidstone. Must admit, this is a bit of a regular for me. Beer is great, atmosphere is superb. The landlord is an absolute legend and the bands are usually of a very high standard. To summarise, this is probably the best pub I’ve been to in years. Easily the best pub in Maidstone for me.

10/10
I used to drink in Earls occasionally when I was at college in Maidstone. My mate worked there.

Popped back recently and there are some cracking pubs in that town. My favourites are Ye Olde Thirsty Pig and the Flower Pot. The Paper Mill is alright too, but Tovil is a complete **** hole and I'll never forget the locals faces when we went in there with a black mate (in 2014 I might add).
We_are_BML
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by We_are_BML »

Cockneyboy311 wrote:
A beer and a VAT mate (Vodka and Tonic i'm guessing)
I make you right :thup:
EugeneSpeed

Post by EugeneSpeed »

The Sultan in South Wimbledon
7.5/10
Lots of nice beer. Hop Back GFB for £2.80 a pint. Can't argue with that. Bit lacking in atmosphere.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

The Collector wrote:The White Hart, Southwark. There are two pubs with same name in this area, I was in the other one.

The landlady is giving it up in the New Year. Punch Taverns (or whichever faceless company owns it) are going to make it into a bistro by knocking through into the cafe next door.

Pint of Landlord for £4.
Another of my old haunts bites the dust.
Is the Clyde still going?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

EugeneSpeed wrote:I used to drink in Earls occasionally when I was at college in Maidstone. My mate worked there.

Popped back recently and there are some cracking pubs in that town. My favourites are Ye Olde Thirsty Pig and the Flower Pot. The Paper Mill is alright too, but Tovil is a complete **** hole and I'll never forget the locals faces when we went in there with a black mate (in 2014 I might add).
Yeah if you like your real ales then Madistone has got some great pubs. The Flower Pot and the Pilot being two of note. The Paper Mill? What the f*** were you thinking :lol: Tovil is twinned with Nagasaki after the bomb went off I'm sure. I was considering buying a place there until I was warned off by a lot of people. I can imagine the reaction you got in there, I think they still club women over the head and drag them back to the cave down there.
antony
Tory boy
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by antony »

Sir Henry's in Aveley, though I guess it is more of a restaurant these days 6/10.

I'm a sucker for the old fashioned feel... wooden beams etc but the food/beer selection is average. Service was pretty atrocious and I was given a strange look/comment for chosing their own beer rather than Carlsberg/Asahi (I stand by my choice)
EugeneSpeed

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Yeah if you like your real ales then Madistone has got some great pubs. The Flower Pot and the Pilot being two of note. The Paper Mill? What the **** were you thinking :lol: Tovil is twinned with Nagasaki after the bomb went off I'm sure. I was considering buying a place there until I was warned off by a lot of people. I can imagine the reaction you got in there, I think they still club women over the head and drag them back to the cave down there.
The Pilot was closed that day unfortunately.

Our student houses were on Tovil Road and King Edward Road so we went for a little snoop around for old time sake, wondering what might have changed in the last 15 years. The answer appeared to be 'not much'. Pretty desolate part of the world.

The Paper Mill was so ****ing odd. We ordered a round and scarpered.
carlokilkennie
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by carlokilkennie »

The old bell kilburn high road yesterday 6/10.
BalaamBoy
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by BalaamBoy »

Hammersfaniow wrote:Went into Smithfield Hall in NYC to watch the game yesterday, great atmosphere with about 30 TV's showing Prem and foreign games. Great to see fans from loads of different clubs all chatting and getting on over a few beers at 10am. Good staff and a low cut top on the barmaid (who was really friendly) is always appreciated.
I had the pleasure of a saturday night there, and the following sunday morning when it was taken over by the local irons fans for the live match.

Really good beer for america, and quite a friendly local crowd as well.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

The Cittie of York, Chancery lane.

£2.90 a pint of Samuel Smith bitter. Sat in a booth talking football for an hour at lunchtime.

8/10
LittleChris
Has liked: 93 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by LittleChris »

Georgee Paris wrote:The Cock Inn...Herts (Sarrat)

9/10 Lovely couple of pints of Tanglefoot and Beef Roast...lovely old fashioned country pub and grub. Not olde worldy old fashioned more like something from the 70s old fashion.
One of the few Hall & Woodhouse pubs outside Dorset I think. Occasionally pop in there or the Cart & Horses in Commonwood just up the road - bears no resemblance to the Cart & Horses in Maryland thankfully :D
The Collector
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

mushy wrote:Another of my old haunts bites the dust.
Is the Clyde still going?
The Lord Clyde is indeed still in business. Bit of a 'wall pub in the past but gentrification gradually creeps through the area. The Hop Pole has been a Tapas Bar for quite a while now. That's where the rot set in.
The Collector
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

Rio wrote:The Lord Stanley, Plaistow. 7/10. Rough, ready, but been my football pub for the best part of 20 years. Now Terry has seen sense, listened to me and got decent beer in its even better. Bonus point yesterday for me not splitting my head open in there this week.
The Stanley was our pre and post match venue for years. Never a good pint of bitter in there, though. They used to have a full sized pool table in the public bar. Used to play pool with the brothers Mick and Pete with printer Andy and Gerard and his son, er Gerard. There were people to keep your distance from such as one punch Paul and Ug with his ICF mates.

Hope it keeps going but the football crowds must be a sizeable part of its income.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:The Cittie of York, Chancery lane.

£2.90 a pint of Samuel Smith bitter. Sat in a booth talking football for an hour at lunchtime.

8/10
Good boozer like most of the Sam Smiths stable. I drink in the Cittie and the Princess Louise down the road quite a bit.

Tried to get in the Olde Cheshire Cheese on Fleet Street tonight but too many frigging daytrippers. Us regular alcoholics should have some priority.

Ended up in the Temple Bar on Milford Street - small,select and Budvar on tap. Nice landlord. 7/10.
The Overlook
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by The Overlook »

The Adelaide, Teddington.

I like it. Apparently they are closing for a re-fit over Jan-Feb which to be fair, it needs. Hopefully it doesn't suck the character out of the place.

One of the few places around here that serves Orangeboom, which as it happens, I rather enjoy.

7.5/10
raggy

Post by raggy »

The Hammers.

Lovely owners, great beer, lovely people and great atmosphere.
The only thing that lets it down is they no longer do Curreoke.
9/10
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

raggy wrote:The Hammers.

Lovely owners, great beer, lovely people and great atmosphere.
The only thing that lets it down is they no longer do Curreoke.
9/10
?