what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

BalaamBoy
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by BalaamBoy »

Any recommendations for a decent pub (good beer AND food) for a lunch in or around St P / Kings X ?

I had heard good things about the Lighterman, but it has a flat roof, and looked a bit modern / hipstery.

Ta

BB
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

BalaamBoy wrote:Any recommendations for a decent pub (good beer AND food) for a lunch in or around St P / Kings X ?

I had heard good things about the Lighterman, but it has a flat roof, and looked a bit modern / hipstery.

Ta

BB
Yep - the Parcel Yard in Kings Cross station. Real decent Fuller's ales and they also do grub (not sure what it's like though). Avoid the O'Neil's pub across the road from the station. It's soul-destroying.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

The Dolphin, Red Lion Street, Holborn WC1 I used to use this boozer alot and it hasn't changed at all, IIRC: Proper boozer. Old fashioned booths, bar stools, a friendly chatty barman, no music, people talking, clean, decent beer - Adnams South well + others for Ale drinkers, Estrella Damm for the lager peeps, very reasonable prices for the west end approx £4.80 a pint.
and all in all a very tidy pub 9/10

Pendrel's Oak, High Holborn, WC1. I used to use this boozer daily when it was called something else and was half as small. This pub has changed - massively! It's huge, seriously big, with a horseshoe bar at one side (which was never like that when I drank there.) It was packed as well, not a seat to be had so standing room only. I was pleased to see it was not full of office types (for want of a generalisation) and had a wide ranging Clientel (locals, tourists, workers and day trippers like me.)

I was quietly impressed to be honest. Nice atmosphere, a massive range of beers = both ales and lagers - I plumped for a pint of draft Ashai Dry, which I find hard to get, and for under a £5,00 a pint it was a bargain. The noise levels of the chatter were a bit to high for me and there was a touch of chaos about it, I think this comes from not enough staff/pot collectors, but that said I got served easy enough. I'd go back again to try some of the more unusual beers you can't get elsewhere, but at a quieter time. a Solid 7/10
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

^^^ Pendrel's Oak - it's a 'Spoons hence the mix of clientele, the cheapish beers, not enough staff and unusual beers that will be completely different on your next visit. However, it is one of the better 'Spoons I've been in and would visit again if I'm in the area.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

WHU Independent wrote:Pendrel's Oak, High Holborn, WC1. I used to use this boozer daily when it was called something else and was half as small. This pub has changed - massively! It's huge, seriously big, with a horseshoe bar at one side (which was never like that when I drank there.) It was packed as well, not a seat to be had so standing room only. I was pleased to see it was not full of office types (for want of a generalisation) and had a wide ranging Clientel (locals, tourists, workers and day trippers like me.)

I was quietly impressed to be honest. Nice atmosphere, a massive range of beers = both ales and lagers - I plumped for a pint of draft Ashai Dry, which I find hard to get, and for under a £5,00 a pint it was a bargain. The noise levels of the chatter were a bit to high for me and there was a touch of chaos about it, I think this comes from not enough staff/pot collectors, but that said I got served easy enough. I'd go back again to try some of the more unusual beers you can't get elsewhere, but at a quieter time. a Solid 7/10
I drink in there on occasion. You know there's a bar downstairs too which is really big as well. I don't mind the place, although it's pricey compared to other spoons pubs due to it's location. Not a bad boozer and I think they show football downstairs too.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

BalaamBoy wrote:Any recommendations for a decent pub (good beer AND food) for a lunch in or around St P / Kings X ?

Ta

BB
I really like the Queens Head. Great beer. Food is all Ploughmans and pork pies, but I really like it.
http://queensheadlondon.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the polecat

Post by the polecat »

I was in the Queens Head on Friday evening. It's a smashing little boozer.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

EugeneSpeed wrote:I really like the Queens Head. Great beer. Food is all Ploughmans and pork pies, but I really like it.
http://queensheadlondon.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not been in there but the beer menu looks great. I'll definitely have to check this one out.
BalaamBoy
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by BalaamBoy »

Thanks Eugene and GCRO - I'll try and check them both out next week!

Cheers

BB
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

The Elephant & Castle, Kensington

Small Victorian pub in a quiet location in Kensington. Quite nice and as it was a lovely day I sat outside. Nice pint of Peroni but it cost over a fiver. 7/10
The Overlook
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by The Overlook »

RichieRiv wrote:The George, Borough High Street.

Rammo due to the sunshine so very slow getting served, but nice to be drinking in one of the last remaining coaching inns in the country.
I was here last Saturday.

As others have said, it really is an amazing building.

I had a pint of Copper Leaf, a Wimbledon beer. Two pals I was with had pints of flat Peroni. At least mine was good :oops:

An iconic pub to tick off the list.
Goldie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Goldie »

Another thumbs up from me . We have had our last two team Christmas dos starting at the George with a few beers meal and have found the place to be friendly & well run even when busy . One of my favourite pubs as it is so different to the norm.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Bethnal Green Working Man's Club I went there to my games club and I started on the Guinness which was excellent especially at £3.00 a pint members prices. There was a gig upstairs and we had a few day trippers in the bar and must have all been drinking Guinness as it was sold out. I had a go on Three SOD's (the club's in house brewery) Cherri pale ale. At £4.50 I was pricey but god was it worth it! I phenomenal pint of beer: hand pumped, almost light gold in colour, very little head, very very slight taste of cherry, really drinkable pint that went down extremely well.

I don't usually like the taste of fruit in my drink but the brewers got it just right - almost like an after taste. The actually found another barrel of Guinness and put it on, but I stayed on the Cherri.

Beer 10/10
Club 8/10
Bogs 5/10
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Admiral Nelson, Southwold

Took a day trip out here on Saturday and met up with some of the family. What a gorgeous place Southwold is. Even better, the pubs are all Adnams! Took in the Admiral Nelson, lovely pub and had a pint of Southwold Bitter and a pint of Nut Brown. Both superbly kept and finished off with fish n chips from the chippy down the road.

I'd love to come back and retire here one day.
bunk
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by bunk »

bunk wrote:The Hungerford Arms, Shadwell / Whitechapel. 6/10.
On 2nd visit I'm lowering this down to a 3/10. Aside from that...

Royal Albert, New Cross - Sitting outside here allowed me to view some of the angriest road-rage i've seen in a long time, amusing and concerning in equal measure. Decent little pub, serving a lovely pint of Guinness. Whilst they were nice, it was after about 6 pints I discovered they had well over 10 kegs in another room, ready to be drunk. 2 pints of god knows what were ordered, which i think were pretty tasty. The staff were very friendly as well. 8/10.

The Windmill, Mayfair / Savile Row - I always enjoy it when pubs operate fairly relaxed street drinking policy, which happened here. As expected, very busy post-work Thursday, both inside and out. Staff were helpful, the pints of Wimbledon Brewery Copper Leaf were decent enough, if a little on the pricey side approaching near £5 (though not exactly a surprise, even for an ale). Though there were a few prize bell-ends about, most people were friendly enough and the pies looked pretty decent too. A rooftop terrace as well, though a visit there will have to wait till next time. 6.5/10.
Wembley1966
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Admiral Nelson, Southwold

Took a day trip out here on Saturday and met up with some of the family. What a gorgeous place Southwold is. Even better, the pubs are all Adnams! Took in the Admiral Nelson, lovely pub and had a pint of Southwold Bitter and a pint of Nut Brown. Both superbly kept and finished off with fish n chips from the chippy down the road.

I'd love to come back and retire here one day.
It's called the Lord Nelson - although it should probably be called by his title of Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson. I'll be visiting it and the other pubs in Southwold again in a week's time. There's a few of us on here that frequent the pubs in the town, although a rather expensive place to retire to!
http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... a#p4702262
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

bunk wrote:The Hungerford Arms, Shadwell / Whitechapel. 6/10
On 2nd visit I'm lowering this down to a 3/10. Aside from that...
I thought the first rating was a bit cheerful.

Not knocking its regulars, but I'd sooner go without a beer, than go in there again...

What possessed you to go in a second time?
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

mushy wrote:It has? hadnt heard that, will take a look at the weekend.

The White Horse has been flattened by the way.
I was in E6 recently as I flew to Georgia from Gatwick and stayed with someone across two nights. It was the absolute pits.

The Con Club was dead, the White Horse is gone, the Hammers has closed, the Denmark was dead and the beer in the Millers was shocking. I tried two lagers and they were undrinkable. The only good thing was seeing some old friends.

I truly shudder to think how I'd be if I still lived around there. So glad to be back home.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Random one but yesterday had more than a few Guiness in Cafe Football Westfield although a fiver a pint it was a good pint didn't eat but food was functional bit for the beer alone I'll mark it an 8
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

The Captain Kidd, Wapping
Sam Smith's pub on Wapping High Street. Pretty quiet when I went in. The Organic Wheat Beer I ordered had to be sent back twice as the gas was playing up. Gave up in the end, not impressed. 4/10

The Wentworth Arms, Mile End
Love this pub. No frills old school, lively pub. Decent Guinness and a good crowd. 9/10