what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by RichieRiv »

shakawakahislop wrote:THE GOLDEN FLEECE-Chelmsford

terrible pub has a certain stale smell and the bar is just disgusting, the manager pends more time eating and on that pokemon game than he does running the pub

1/10 only get a one as they show sports

AVOID THIS PLACE
I was in there late last year. They had a band on, but you're right it's a sheissenhausen. They even had the liberty of having an aftershave fella is the gents. Like that would make is classy. I prefer the boozers over in Old Moulsham if the truth be told.
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

terrible pub has a certain stale smell and the bar is just disgusting, the manager pends more time eating and on that pokemon game than he does running the pub

1/10 only get a one as they show sports

AVOID THIS PLACE
I'm mates on Facebook with the Spurs supporting owner (Essex cricket related)

Seems like a nice bloke who has to put up with a lot of rubbish from people he has banned. Always rammed so he must be doing something right
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

terrible pub has a certain stale smell and the bar is just disgusting
It's not changed then since I was last in there 40 years ago. I would occasionally go in there when going between 'The Animals' - aka The Lion and Lamb, later Dukes and on to the Saracens Head. The only thing the Fleece had going for it was that it was nearest pub to The Chancellor Hall and I probably drank in there before going to see The Clash.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

The Railway- Witham,Essex.
Was in there Saturday.
Not Bad,decent pint of Deuchers IPA friendly bar staff who called us a cab to the Football ground and i met up with an old mate.
8/10

Witham FC clubhouse.
Ok place, friendly enough. No real ale, but the John Smiths smooth was drinkable
7/10
light n bitter
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by light n bitter »

The Alma in Harwich Essex nice old pub.
Very nice pint of Broadside plus guest beers. 10
Food looked nice too but didn't have any as we wandered off down the road to the "Thai Up At The Quay" But that's a different thread (Bloomin lovely as always though) 10
Crawley Iron

Post by Crawley Iron »

A weekend in Rye East Sussex.

The George Tap at The George in Rye
Pub/hotel bar, with good selection of local ales and Curious Brew, together with more mainstream lagers, Guinness etc. Great gin selection (20 plus types), really well made cocktails, knowledgeable and friendly bar staff, comfortably busy and buzzing on Friday and Saturday evenings. 9/10

The Globe Inn Marsh Rye
A really unusual pub, no real bar area as such, just a central island that customers can walk all around. Lots of different nooks and crannies to sit in, some local ales and Curious Brew and a wide selection of gins. Friendly staff, and the food looked good too (although we didn’t have any). Busy on Saturday lunchtime with diners, pub seemed quite happy to have drinkers-only though. 9/10

Ypres Castle Inn
Set in a great location in the shadow of the Ypres Castle, with a beer garden that must be a real suntrap in the summer. Another pub with local ales as well as mainstream lagers. Quite a relaxed easy-going atmosphere early Saturday afternoon, not exceptional in the context of other pubs in the town. 7/10

The Mermaid Inn
Pub/hotel that dates from 1420 located on a cobbled street. Very atmospheric bar with massive fireplace, the slightly limited beer selection is outweighed by the setting. Friendly attentive bar staff, calm relaxed feel to the place. 8/10
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

RE the fleece, it is such a dive. The lager is poorly kept and the pipes infrequently cleaned. Decent atmosphere in there for the euros and their food platter was alright for the price.

We go to either the plough or the railway tavern just a minutes walk up the road. The latter have a good selection of ales and local beers and as a lager drinker, had the freshest pint of fosters I have ever had. Almost made it taste like some up market type thing.

Old moulsham is a good shout for a few pubs. The cricketers was alright when I was in my mid to late teens but haven't been there in years. O'Connors is also a fantastic little pub with a good atmosphere, although it gets crowded quickly due to the size etc.

If you want a good mix of decent lager and food, the ship just off dukes street where the aforementioned pubs are is worth a visit.
bunk
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by bunk »

The Pot Still, Glasgow - Never seen so many bottles of whisky in my life, must have been well over 200 bottles at the front bar alone, even a ladder to get to the higher up collection. The pint of Guinness was very nice and thought it would be rude to stay clear of the whisky despite not being the biggest fan. The name I've forgotten but it wasn't too bad. Good atmosphere, friendly staff. 8/10.
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote:Old moulsham is a good shout for a few pubs. The cricketers was alright when I was in my mid to late teens but haven't been there in years. O'Connors is also a fantastic little pub with a good atmosphere, although it gets crowded quickly due to the size etc.

If you want a good mix of decent lager and food, the ship just off dukes street where the aforementioned pubs are is worth a visit.
The cricketers seems to have a slightly old crowd when I was last in there - which I prefer - then again teenagers don't tend to drink in pubs anymore it would appear.

O'Connor's does a lovely pint of Guinness, it was just a shame that people were doing lines off the tables - least they could do is go to shithouse like everyone else.

Never been to The Ship, although passed by it many times. I should really pop in. I'm a sucker for a proper boozer.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

^^ Just along from The Ship is The Royal Steamer. Great little pub that we'd frequent on a Friday lunchtime - couple of pints of Greene King before going back to school. Didn't need ID in those days, although we did have to wear uniform in the 6th form - as long as you said that you were over 18 that was good enough for the landlord.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

That's not a bad pub either, only a minute from the train station.

If Guinness is your drink, then across the road at the top of Duke Street is The Globe. They do a decent burger in there too but their Guinness is popular among my friends that drink it.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

light n bitter wrote:The Alma in Harwich Essex nice old pub.
Very nice pint of Broadside plus guest beers. 10
Food looked nice too but didn't have any as we wandered off down the road to the "Thai Up At The Quay" But that's a different thread (Bloomin lovely as always though) 10
Ever been in The Globe mate? :D
light n bitter

Post by light n bitter »

Ever been in The Globe mate? :D[/quote]

Not since I stopped playing darts about 20 years ago!
light n bitter

Post by light n bitter »

Cockneyboy it appears it's best to stick to bottled beer in there.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Sitting in the Blue Bell (mentioned above) with a pint of Landlord and a pork pie in front of the coal fire. Bliss. 10/10

Moved on to a pint of Old Peculiar at the Black Swan Inn. Now this is a fire I like!
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

light n bitter wrote:Cockneyboy it appears it's best to stick to bottled beer in there.
Weirdest pub I've been in and I've been in a few!
light n bitter

Post by light n bitter »

Weirdest pub I've been in and I've been in a few![/quote]

Ha Ha weird indeed, how the hell did you end up in there? pub crawl, bet, dare??
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Anyone know what's happening at the Banker, near Cannon st station?

Refurb?
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

Yep. It needs it. It's a ****hole.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

light n bitter wrote:
Ha Ha weird indeed, how the hell did you end up in there? pub crawl, bet, dare??
I've got a mate who lives in Harwich, we wondered out Sunday afternoon and it was the only place that was quiet. After going in there we now no why!