what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby mushy on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:40 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
What this means for the newly opened Leytonstone Tavern 10 minutes away on Harrow Road is anyone's guess...

Have heard of this place but never been.
Is it on the site of a former pub?
mushy

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:26 pm

mushy wrote:Have heard of this place but never been.
Is it on the site of a former pub?

Not been open long
It is on the site of what was the Woodhouse Tavern that shut down ages ago
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Monkeybubbles on Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:28 pm

Monkeybubbles

Postby jacko on Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:08 pm

RichieRiv wrote:What's the matter with the Enterprise?

I quite liked working around Holborn as at least the boozers were a bit more authentic than elsewhere in the West End. Maybe I just like **** pubs.

I dunno, just a bit of a nondescript pub. Unfriendly bar stuff. The beer is average. It's a bit of a tired place.
jacko

Postby RichieRiv on Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:41 pm

Compared to the non-descript places down Kingsway or the Square Pig which reminds me of an estate boozer, The Enterprise is a haven of tranquillity, although I do prefer the dolphin across the way.
RichieRiv

Postby jacko on Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:48 pm

Yeah I quite like the dolphin.
jacko

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:38 pm

That really sounds like my kind of pub.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby The Collector on Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:21 am

The Guildford Arms, West Register St. Edinburgh.

I can’t recall anytime that I have entered a pub through a revolving door before.

Spectacular high ceiling and great decoration throughout this very nice pub. I had a pint of Jarl from the Fyne Ales brewery and a glass of Glengoyne malt whisky to chase it down.

5/5 for beer and 5/5 for atmosphere. Although I understand that it can be a bit of a tourist trap and rammed on occasions.
Last edited by The Collector on Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Collector

Postby sendô on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:52 am

A ****ing Slug & Lettuce, where it's £5.85 for a pint of crap over hopped IPA.
sendô

Postby LincolnshireHammer on Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:08 pm

Anyone drank in Peterborough? There this weekend and heard the Charters on the river is a "go to" spot.
LincolnshireHammer

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:17 pm

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Anyone drank in Peterborough? There this weekend and heard the Charters on the river is a "go to" spot.

I went to a lovely boozer there last year. In a little village type place. Food was decent too. Will try and find out what it was called.

EDIT

The Cuckoo in Alwalton :thup:
Last edited by Cockneyboy311 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cockneyboy311

Postby Vdogg on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:20 pm

Can anyone recommend a good pub to watch the Six Nations on Saturday in central/East London?
Vdogg

Postby EugeneSpeed on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:46 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Interested to see that the pub called Glory seems to have replaced The Russian Bar which was a tremendous late late night Dalston destination when i was hanging about in those parts about 12 years ago!

Oh mate, haven't thought about that place in years! One of the few places to get a late drink round there, which seems weird now.
EugeneSpeed

Postby Moxy on Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:34 am

The Vic Romford, popped in for a couple with me brother, nice pint of Guinness he was on Coors £5.30 which is great value and served by a pretty barmaid can’t knock this place 9/10
Moxy

Postby bunk on Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:44 am

Two Chairmen, St. James - Popped in for a swift pint of Guinness yesterday evening, having wanted to visit for quite some time. I hadn't even realised it was a Greene King until i walked past this morning and whilst i normally think they're one of the worst pub chains going, thankfully this one stepped up. It's a lot smaller than i expected but a nice atmosphere, Guinness was under a fiver which, for the area is quite unexpected. Had 16 beers on on tap... ales, IPAs, lagers and Guinness so could cater for everyone. Not world class but a solid place. 7/10.
bunk

Postby Wembley1966 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:09 pm

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Anyone drank in Peterborough? There this weekend and heard the Charters on the river is a "go to" spot.

There must be hundreds of us here that have drank in Charters! We took over 5,000 to the away match in the Championship in March 2012 and seems that most were on the boat or in the beer garden. Can't tell you what the beer was like as there was only one type left before they ran out completely an hour before the match.
"we play on the floor"
Wembley1966

Postby Junco Partner on Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:12 pm

Sheltered from the snow and ice in The Vauxhall Griffin, down a nondescript side street off Wandsworth Road this was an unexpected gem.

Some nice beers on tap for under a fiver, large TV's all over the walls playing the cricket, certainly looked good for football viewing, pool tables in an upstairs lounge, decor seemed caught between traditional pub and 'bistro' with flowers up the walls and grass on the ceiling but it seemed to work. Nice atmosphere and quick, friendly staff.

The Doombar which can sometimes be a 50/50 call in some pubs was excellent, and a nice way to kill 'dry' January.

8/10.
Junco Partner

Location: Rude and reckless, crude and feckless, been drinking brew for breakfast

Postby WHU Independent on Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:07 pm

The Bevy, Mouslecoomb, Brighton The perfect pub. A pub run by local residents for everyone. Big, airy, spacey, decent music, great bar staff and a lovely community atmosphere. Add to this a decent range of beers - I had a pint of "Foghorn" and it was delicious - just a touch of hops, with a crisp tangy after-taste. And the food. My mate went for the sausage casserole ("Amazing" according to my mate) and I had the stuffed red pepper with sweet potato chips and salad, which was perfectly cooked and spiced up nicely.

The people were friendly and they all help the community - be it gardening, the allotments, repairs, development, football teams, mental health walk -in centre, bingo and Sunday lunches plus much much more.

What's more - and some of you that go away matches may wish to note - they welcome away supporters with open arms and give free minivan trips to the match (and back if you want to go back in there) and too and from Brighton Station, if you arrange it with them.

Best pub I've been n for a long long time.

A very solid 10/10.

Witherspoons Victoria Station

One of the best spoons I've been in. Lovely comfortable but busy vibe, very nice staff, usual selection of Spoon's beers, warm throughout and comfortable. My Amstel was decent and about 3:80 a pint. Really good for a station base pub, which I usually find soulless. 8/10
WHU Independent

Postby WHU Independent on Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:52 pm

Not really a pub - but it serves beer. Fair Haven Hospice, Chalkwell, Essex.

My best mate is dying of cirrhosis of the liver and only has a few days left to live, so he's been placed in this Hospice. Here he is allowed to drink, they provide free booze for the patients and encourage friends and relatives to bring their own booze and celebrate with their mates. He's too far gone to save himself so he is going to go out drinking. I took his daughter and a few mates to see him and we stayed for 6 or so hours drinking with him. The nurses were exceptional, the standard of care exemplary and they had a good laugh with us. We told all the old stories and some ones that we haven't told because of the circumstances.

In the end we had one final drink a group hug and we left. I made a donation to this partly NHS/partly charity funded Hospice immediately I got up today.

If I ever have to go to a hospice for whatever reason, I'd like to go here. 10/10

The Island Queen, Noel Road Islington.

This is all that is wrong with hipster pubs. Lazy staff, who didn't have a scoobie and actually hid at the end of the bar, crouched down trying to be out of sight, rubbish prices (£5+ a pint most beers), dirty, untidy, didn't understand the concept of cash payments too well (kept on handing me a cash machine while I had notes in my hand) and really appalling bogs that were awash with piss, toilet papers stuffed down the side of the bog and the wall like a white blanket and smelly.

I went there to celebrate a mates birthday. I won't be back. The place gets one point for the wine, which was Merlot, at a decent price and good.

1/10
WHU Independent

Postby prophet:marginal on Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:16 pm

WHU Independent wrote:Not really a pub - but it serves beer. Fair Haven Hospice, Chalkwell, Essex.

That's an amazing story.
prophet:marginal

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug