what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

The Craft Beer Co. Clerkenwell

Not a bad pub at all. Some really decent ales on tap, the Rothaus weissbier on tap was really nice (if a bit expensive). Bogs were clean and the clientele was the usual Clerkenwell posh crowd.

8/10
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

WiganCentral, eerrrrr Wigan

Tidy ale bar, airy, great selection of beers including a seemingly never ending stream from the local Prospect Brewey. All very reasonably priced. Staff were very nice indeed, which always helps

9/10
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

WHU Independent wrote:Bethnal Green Working Man's Club, Bethnal Green E2.

Cheap (£3.00 a pint) quality beer, great staff, top atmosphere and reasonable bogs 9/10

Brewhouse and Kitchen, The Angel.

I walked in this bar at 5:00 PM this evening. This is how it went down:

Me: "HI - have you any vegan beer for sale please?"
Bartender: "Yes several." Names them, including Gamma Ray.
Me: "How much is a pint of Gamma Ray please?"
Bartender: "Err £6:15."
Me "Hahahahahaha - No. Goodbye."

Walks out of pub in disgust.

0/10

Heads to Bethnal Green Working Man's club. See above.
What vegan beers do you get in the BGWMC ?
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Rocketron wrote:What vegan beers do you get in the BGWMC ?
Off the top of my head - Guinness, Heineken, Carlsberg, various Brewdog beers that are ok for me and the brewers that are on site ( 3 Sods) also do occasional vegan ales. I ask them when I am there to check if they are ok for me.

I've got Barnivore - http://www.barnivore.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - on my phone so that helps.
Last edited by WHU Independent on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

The Scottish Stores, Caledonian Road, KIngs Cross. I like this boozer. Comfortable, warm , great service, friendly locals and great beer. I had a pint of Maharajah Pale Ale, which was excellent, if a bit pricey at just over a £5. The beer had a Pale ale taste, mixed with a very slight hoppy after-flavour. Top bar staff too 9/10

The Queens Head, Acton Street, Kings Cross. I didn't like this place from the moment I set foot in it. Full of hipsters with their big beards, Nazi hair styles and black skinny jeans with no socks. I was going to go for a pint of beer that sounded like Mexicana but when I asked the price, I politely refused. I wasn't going to pay £9.00 a pint for a beer! I had a Beefeater gin and tonic for a more reasonable price of £4.00. My mates had a pint of Blackjack double bluff at an acceptable £4.20 a pint. They didn't like it that much.

My mate bought a round and he got caught though. He fancied a pint of Northern Monk and got stung £9.00 for the privilege. He said it was average at best.

The pub was overly loud (the high ceiling and big glass windows don't help) and tried too hard to be an old fashioned boozer ( big mirrors, no carpet, shabby chic settees etc.) Not my cup of tea. 5/10

The Fitzroy Tavern Charlotte street W1. Ended up here as we wanted a place to chat. Went upstairs to one of the smaller rooms and it was perfect. Had a pint of Sam Smith's Organic Lager and it was lovely! Pub was lively, without being loud, warn. comfortable, even if it has a bit of the MFI feel about it. Bar staff were great and all Sam, Smth's beer are vegan, so happy days. Very acceptable prices to - around £4.00 a pint. My mates had the Cherry ale and said it was the best pint they had all night. I'd come back again. 8/10
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Vegan beer..... A new one on me. :?
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

And £9 pints are a new one on me!
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Vegan beer..... A new one on me. :?
I could be wrong here but Vegan beer doesn’t contain the gelatine extract of a fish's swim bladder which makes it clear and bright looking. This supposedly makes it more appealing on the eye. It stops it from being cloudy and also helps it settle quicker. A downside is that it’s claimed to take away a lot of the flavour. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. I drink cloudy, unfiltered wheat beer so this isn't present in it.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:The Craft Beer Co. Clerkenwell

Not a bad pub at all. Some really decent ales on tap, the Rothaus weissbier on tap was really nice (if a bit expensive). Bogs were clean and the clientele was the usual Clerkenwell posh crowd.

8/10
That the one on Hatton garden? Do they still have the Cockney sing songs .Think it use to be called the Clock.
sandbanks

Post by sandbanks »

One other thing on Vegan beers. As previously mentioned vegan beers don't contain the 'finings' from fish intestines used to filter the beer to make it appear clear and 'bright' (there is a vegan-friendly version of finings that some breweries are trialling at the moment).

The other thing to be careful of are the brewers who are looking to brew a low abv beer but need to give the mouthfeel some body which they can do by using lactose. So beware, as certain breweries that in the past that may have produced solely vegan-friendly brews may have a couple in their range that aren't.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

woodgreenspur wrote:That the one on Hatton garden? Do they still have the Cockney sing songs .Think it use to be called the Clock.
Yeah that's the one. No Cockney sing songs, just trendy hooray Henrys by the looks of things.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
Yeah that's the one. No Cockney sing songs, just trendy hooray Henrys by the looks of things.
It use to be a proper pub.And a good one at that
Dover KUMB fan
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by Dover KUMB fan »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Vegan beer..... A new one on me. :?
Went to Forest Green Rovers a couple of years ago. It;'s all they sell in their bar (Thanks to their tree hugging chairman)
To be fair, it was a decent pint.
Dover KUMB fan
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by Dover KUMB fan »

WHU Independent wrote:The Scottish Stores, Caledonian Road, KIngs Cross. I like this boozer. Comfortable, warm , great service, friendly locals and great beer. I had a pint of Maharajah Pale Ale, which was excellent, if a bit pricey at just over a £5. The beer had a Pale ale taste, mixed with a very slight hoppy after-flavour. Top bar staff too 9/10
I always go in there if I'm in the area. Proper friendly locals pub with decent beer.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

woodgreenspur wrote:It use to be a proper pub.And a good one at that
I know, I was in there with you when The Ashes was on in 2005.
Pentonville
Has liked: 41 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by Pentonville »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:The Craft Beer Co. Clerkenwell

8/10
I assume you are talking about the Craft Beer Co pub on Leather Lane. Like all Craft Brew Co pubs this has an excellent range of Cask and Keg beers. The pub itself is restored and has an incredibly interesting mirrored ceiling with the signs of the Zodiac. During the week office workers and hipsters, but always a smattering of locals, at weekends the odd tourist wanders in from the nearby hotels. I'll also give it 8/10 for the quality and range of beer and the interior, but loses marks for lack of proper pub ambiance

But also check out the other nearby Craft Beer Co pub on White Lion Street (400 yds from Angel tube) - This is my regular pub. Great rotating selection of cask and keg beers (though my preference is for draught). Easily the best beer cask range in Islington (believe me , I have done much research on the subject). Some office workers but hardly any hipsters during the week, more usually a wide range of Islingtonians young and old. Old time piano playing on tuesdays. Definitely recommended, especially if we are playing Arsenal ( a quick bus ride up upper st). The pub is in a great position away from the maddening crowd that is Upper Street, especially at weekends, good knowledgable bar staff. Usually good music i.e rock, soul playing not too loudly in the background. Excellent home made burgers (bit pricey but filling). Will give it 9/10.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

woodgreenspur wrote:It use to be a proper pub.And a good one at that
To be fair to them, it's a lot busier now it's 'not a proper pub anymore'.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Pentonville wrote:But also check out the other nearby Craft Beer Co pub on White Lion Street (400 yds from Angel tube) - This is my regular pub. Great rotating selection of cask and keg beers (though my preference is for draught). Easily the best beer cask range in Islington (believe me , I have done much research on the subject). Some office workers but hardly any hipsters during the week, more usually a wide range of Islingtonians young and old. Old time piano playing on tuesdays. Definitely recommended, especially if we are playing Arsenal ( a quick bus ride up upper st). The pub is in a great position away from the maddening crowd that is Upper Street, especially at weekends, good knowledgable bar staff. Usually good music i.e rock, soul playing not too loudly in the background. Excellent home made burgers (bit pricey but filling). Will give it 9/10.
I'm sold. That's next on the list when I'm in the area next.

Cheers mate!
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

WHU Independent wrote:The Scottish Stores, Caledonian Road, KIngs Cross. I like this boozer. Comfortable, warm , great service, friendly locals and great beer. I had a pint of Maharajah Pale Ale, which was excellent, if a bit pricey at just over a £5. The beer had a Pale ale taste, mixed with a very slight hoppy after-flavour. Top bar staff too 9/10
I used to go in here many years ago - can't remember what the beer was like but the strippers were very rough - long before we allowed the Eastern Europeans to come over and work!
Etonhammer
Location: Laid on the floor seeing 'Jesus saves' painted by an atheist nutter
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Etonhammer »

Wembley1966 wrote: I used to go in here many years ago - can't remember what the beer was like but the strippers were very rough - long before we allowed the Eastern Europeans to come over and work!
Was that The Flying Scotsman.......that I never went into