what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby WHU Independent on Tue May 01, 2018 6:09 pm

mushy wrote:As ever top class reviews from Mr Independent -and everyone else for that matter.

Am sat here puzzling as to how come I have never been in The Beehive in Bow.
I even had to google where it is.


Thanks Mushy. Go in the Beehive - it's a top pub. For the Love of god, don't go in the Angel of Bow (AKA The Liqueur Inn), it dreadful and VERY expensive!
User avatar
WHU Independent
 
Posts: 3803
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:35 pm

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby LincolnshireHammer on Wed May 02, 2018 9:37 am

WHU Independent wrote:Yup - it's made one, Can't remember the name, so I'll have to go back and check! Thanks!

Do let us know!
User avatar
LincolnshireHammer
 
Posts: 6095
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:18 pm
Location: N1 | Block 113

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Wed May 02, 2018 9:59 am

WHU Independent wrote:Yup - it's made one, Can't remember the name, so I'll have to go back and check! Thanks!


LincolnshireHammer wrote:Do let us know!


It'll be this stuff ...

https://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/p ... india-ale/
User avatar
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
 
Posts: 13397
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:29 am
Location: The oil drum in the Garden of England

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby WHU Independent on Wed May 02, 2018 8:46 pm

LincolnshireHammer wrote:It'll be this stuff ...

https://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/p ... india-ale/


Thank you GCRO - bang on the money! Lovely stuff it is too.
User avatar
WHU Independent
 
Posts: 3803
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:35 pm

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Wed May 02, 2018 9:39 pm

No probs.

India Pale Ale seems to have taken on two variations - the traditional nice smooth, slightly hoppy drink which is how IPA was meant to taste when years ago it was produced for the British soldiers serving in India. The other is the extremely hoppy and citrus flavoured American style IPA which seems to have become trendy lately. The recent connotation is what IPA would have tasted in Victorian times as it left the brewery and the Yanks seem to have leapt on this flavour and produced their own flavour IPA. The emphasis is on freshness with this style of IPA and will taste quite sharp and bitter which an abundance of hops in beer will taste like in any ale.

The more traditional style of IPA (such as Greene King) which has a darker colour and mellower taste is the flavour IPA took on when it reached India from England. As it took around six months to reach India it would mature in the barrels it was transported in and as the journey took so long, a lot of hops (which are a preservative) as well as alcohol (also a preservative) were added to the recipe. By the time it has reached India, it has mellowed and matured in the barrels which produced a nice smooth flavour. It was also quite strong too. When soldiers came back from India they wanted to drink the ale they’d drunk in India, so, it was decided to produce the stuff over here.

The oldest consistent recipe for IPA is Burton IPA which has remained unchanged since Victorian times and uses Kent hops (recognised as some of the best in the world) and the famed Burton water which is used by and replicated by many breweries and is recognised throughout the world as the best water for brewing (due to it high natural sulphate content which gives it it’s slightly bitter flavour).

Ironically, IPA should definitely not be drunk with India food, as they both contain irritant and bitter flavours which react together to produce intensely bitter flavours.
User avatar
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
 
Posts: 13397
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:29 am
Location: The oil drum in the Garden of England

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby The Collector on Wed May 02, 2018 11:24 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:No probs.

India Pale Ale seems to have taken on two variations - the traditional nice smooth, slightly hoppy drink which is how IPA was meant to taste when years ago it was produced for the British soldiers serving in India. The other is the extremely hoppy and citrus flavoured American style IPA which seems to have become trendy lately. The recent connotation is what IPA would have tasted in Victorian times as it left the brewery and the Yanks seem to have leapt on this flavour and produced their own flavour IPA. The emphasis is on freshness with this style of IPA and will taste quite sharp and bitter which an abundance of hops in beer will taste like in any ale.

The more traditional style of IPA (such as Greene King) which has a darker colour and mellower taste is the flavour IPA took on when it reached India from England. As it took around six months to reach India it would mature in the barrels it was transported in and as the journey took so long, a lot of hops (which are a preservative) as well as alcohol (also a preservative) were added to the recipe. By the time it has reached India, it has mellowed and matured in the barrels which produced a nice smooth flavour. It was also quite strong too. When soldiers came back from India they wanted to drink the ale they’d drunk in India, so, it was decided to produce the stuff over here.

The oldest consistent recipe for IPA is Burton IPA which has remained unchanged since Victorian times and uses Kent hops (recognised as some of the best in the world) and the famed Burton water which is used by and replicated by many breweries and is recognised throughout the world as the best water for brewing (due to it high natural sulphate content which gives it it’s slightly bitter flavour).

Ironically, IPA should definitely not be drunk with India food, as they both contain irritant and bitter flavours which react together to produce intensely bitter flavours.


Thanks for this. One of my earliest drinking memories is having a half of Charrington’s IPA while sitting around the corner by the pool tables in the Wakefield with my older cousins, pre match.

Whenever I went into a pub I would always ask for IPA because I didn’t know what else to order.
User avatar
The Collector
 
Posts: 4836
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:59 pm
Location: Location, Location

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby EugeneSpeed on Wed May 02, 2018 11:57 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:No probs.

India Pale Ale seems to have taken on two variations...


Nice break down! Love reading about the history of beer. You ever read any of Pete Brown's books/blog posts? Interesting guy.

Me and my old man often discuss the old- and new-school IPA styles. I like both, and think it's great we have a choice. English 3-4% IPA for an all day session, crazy US 9% IPA if i'm sat at home having just one. My Dad can't get his head round it though. Although we both agree that Greene King IPA is boring as f**k.
User avatar
EugeneSpeed
 
Posts: 2710
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 10:26 pm
Location: Wimbledon

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Thu May 03, 2018 9:25 am

EugeneSpeed wrote:Nice break down! Love reading about the history of beer. You ever read any of Pete Brown's books/blog posts? Interesting guy.


No I haven't but will check it out. I've turned into a bit of a beer nerd as I too love reading about the history of beer. Sad I know but it fascinates me.

Me and my old man often discuss the old- and new-school IPA styles. I like both, and think it's great we have a choice. English 3-4% IPA for an all day session, crazy US 9% IPA if i'm sat at home having just one. My Dad can't get his head round it though. Although we both agree that Greene King IPA is boring as f**k.


Yeah Greene King is the probably the most generic English IPA available at the moment and although drinkable is, as you say, very boring. I'm really not a fan of the American style, although I've tried to like it, the high hop content plays havoc with my acid reflux for some reason and, as you say, some of them are insanely strong. I also find that many of the new style IPAs taste the same due to the amount of hops in there which just swamp any other attempt at flavour.
User avatar
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
 
Posts: 13397
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:29 am
Location: The oil drum in the Garden of England

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby mushy on Thu May 03, 2018 1:53 pm

The Collector wrote:
Thanks for this. One of my earliest drinking memories is having a half of Charrington’s IPA while sitting around the corner by the pool tables in the Wakefield with my older cousins, pre match.

Whenever I went into a pub I would always ask for IPA because I didn’t know what else to order.


Here you go Mr Collector -
http://protzonbeer.co.uk/features/2015/12/16/cockney-classic-ipa-recreated-in-burton
mushy
 
Posts: 12284
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:17 pm
Location: Kumb Poster of the year 2009

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby WHU Independent on Sat May 05, 2018 10:22 pm

The Tommy Flowers, Aberfeldy Street E14.

Brand new community pub opened up and it's lovely. Well decorated, no music, comfy chairs, reasonable prices - Guinness £3.80 a pint, and a decent pint to boot. Great bar staff and ambience - they even have a piano which rattles out a few tunes when people play it. It's like having a beer in someone's front room. top bogs too and small area out back if you need a quieter chat. Also has a top range of whisky. Added bonus it's 30 meters from my house :) 9/10
User avatar
WHU Independent
 
Posts: 3803
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:35 pm

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby Samba on Sat May 05, 2018 11:19 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:No I haven't but will check it out. I've turned into a bit of a beer nerd as I too love reading about the history of beer. Sad I know but it fascinates me.
Yeah Greene King is the probably the most generic English IPA available at the moment and although drinkable is, as you say, very boring. I'm really not a fan of the American style, although I've tried to like it, the high hop content plays havoc with my acid reflux for some reason and, as you say, some of them are insanely strong. I also find that many of the new style IPAs taste the same due to the amount of hops in there which just swamp any other attempt at flavour.

What do you think of Wychwood brews, GC?
User avatar
Samba
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:36 pm

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby -DL- on Sat May 05, 2018 11:49 pm

The Minories.

Had a standard fayre full English breakfast, which in all honesty was a bit crap.

However, the 20% discount I got because I drive a bus made it more palatable. As did the really rather tasty bird behind the counter that took my order, as did the really rather tasty bird that brought it to me.

The coffee was alright too.
User avatar
-DL-
Match thread guru
 
Posts: 18149
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:43 am
Location: Biting my tongue so hard it's starting to bleed.

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Sun May 06, 2018 6:30 pm

Samba wrote:What do you think of Wychwood brews, GC?


The ones I've tried have been hit and miss. Hob Goblin is reasonably drinkable but I've had so many bad pints of it that I've got a sort of phobia too it. It doesn't taste good when it goes (does any beer?) but I had a superb pint up in Manchester a while back and the pubs that I've tried (most locally) that sell it, just don't come up to standard. The Gold, I've only had once and remembered it as being quite nice. Not tried their IPA.

Bottled Wychwood is usually quite good, but it's not my first choice if I'm buying bottled ales. The shop round the corner sells it and if it's a choice of anything Shepherd Neame and Wychwood, I'll always choose Hobgoblin.
User avatar
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
 
Posts: 13397
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:29 am
Location: The oil drum in the Garden of England

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby DasNutNock on Sun May 06, 2018 6:52 pm

My local, the best pub in Britain. Narrow selection of overpriced drinks, pretty terrible food, and grotty old clientele. Perfect.
User avatar
DasNutNock
 
Posts: 6777
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:41 pm
Location: R Tape loading error, 0:1

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby The Collector on Sun May 06, 2018 8:41 pm

User avatar
The Collector
 
Posts: 4836
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:59 pm
Location: Location, Location

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Fri May 11, 2018 7:42 am

The Grafton, Kentish Town

Nipped in for a pint and a bite to eat on the way to see Blossoms.

Lovely pint of Lagunitas IPA and a burger coming to £19 :shock: Which is a bit pricey IMO.

Nice pub though, and playing some decent music.

7/10
User avatar
westham,eggyandchips
 
Posts: 12515
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: Taking a walk with Anita Fifa...

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby mushy on Fri May 11, 2018 11:29 am

-DL- wrote:The Minories.

Had a standard fayre full English breakfast, which in all honesty was a bit crap.

.

There is a Spoons just around the corner from there, I reckon their breakfasts and coffee are better.
mushy
 
Posts: 12284
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:17 pm
Location: Kumb Poster of the year 2009

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby woodgreenspur on Fri May 11, 2018 12:02 pm

westham,eggyandchips wrote:The Grafton, Kentish Town

Nipped in for a pint and a bite to eat on the way to see Blossoms.

Lovely pint of Lagunitas IPA and a burger coming to £19 :shock: Which is a bit pricey IMO.

Nice pub though, and playing some decent music.

7/10

I use to promote gigs in a pub up the road from there and that was my sanctuary for 45 minutes/hour of peace before the madness and stress of the night a head.
Always great ale in there.
It is pricey,i give you that though.
Has a sort of 'too old for Camden town,but still like a night out type crowd'
7/10
woodgreenspur
 
Posts: 2859
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:29 pm
Location: Wood green, London

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby prophet:marginal on Fri May 11, 2018 4:13 pm

-DL- wrote:The Minories.

Had a standard fayre full English breakfast, which in all honesty was a bit crap.

.

mushy wrote:There is a Spoons just around the corner from there, I reckon their breakfasts and coffee are better.


There's a boozer on the same side of the street as the opening for the bus station, on that road. Name now escapes me. Must be close to where Alan Brazil works. He's often in there, on a sesh. Last time I saw him, he was battered.
User avatar
prophet:marginal
 
Posts: 25944
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:54 pm
Location: Everybody's Malcontent Nowadays

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby mushy on Fri May 11, 2018 5:03 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:
There's a boozer on the same side of the street as the opening for the bus station, on that road. Name now escapes me. Must be close to where Alan Brazil works. He's often in there, on a sesh. Last time I saw him, he was battered.

Is there a bus station at the Aldgate end still?
Last time I was there it was closed.
Alan Brazil works at Hatfields which is in Southwark, just off Stamford street, having said that I get the impression he knows every pub in a ten mile radius.
He always looks like he is about to explode.
mushy
 
Posts: 12284
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:17 pm
Location: Kumb Poster of the year 2009

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests