what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:25 pm

sendô wrote:I did the Brewdog pub in Shoreditch last week. It was alright to be fair, not too wanky but also not full of bellends like a lot of "bars" around there. Beer was excellent too.

Had one in the Goose Island bar before too, which was also okay. Craft brewery pubs seem to be the rage now.

A big Brewdog pub has opened near Tower Hill recently. Not been in there.... yet.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby mushy on Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:17 pm

WHU Independent wrote:
I drink regularly in the Old Ship btw and it's a fantastic pub. It's a gay pub that is straight friendly and I know the owner John as he used to have Booty's Wine Bar in Limehouse Causeway, before it was closed down. Great beer and wine, a decent selection of ales, very reasonable prices and if you like an old fashioned drag act (as me and my mates do) it's a place well worth a visit.

I have been in there for the odd Sunday night act, am glad its still going.
What about the pub on the opposite corner? The Queen Anne maybe?
Will give the craft pub a go myself.
mushy

Postby ads78 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:58 am

I went to the Brewdog at Tower Hill on Friday night and was impressed.

Good selection of beers as you would expect. Quick to get served despite it being a busy Friday night, which was made even better by them doing table service.

Also, they do a decent burger in there too - the one that I had had black pudding in it!
ads78

Postby sendô on Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:08 pm

Trains were up the swanny the other day so I had to walk down to Piccadilly Circus. On the way I popped into the Coach & Horses just off of Bond St. A nice old little pub that on a Monday night was jam packed. They had a decent pint of seasonal ale that slid down a treat.

westham,eggyandchips wrote:A big Brewdog pub has opened near Tower Hill recently. Not been in there.... yet.

I nipped in there for one back in the summer/autumn when it was blazing hot on my way to Fenchurch St after working a Saturday. Beer was decent, and yes it was a big one so lots of space. I sat outside in the sun and melted my way through my beer.
sendô

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:20 pm

The Balywick, near Saville Gardens. Excellent. 2 courses and drinks for 5 came to about £150. I had a suet game pie that was bloody delicious. Very impressive.
DasNutNock

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:03 pm

I also had 3 pints of very good ale, and I am really struggling to maintain consciousness.
DasNutNock

Postby WestHamByTheSea on Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:35 am

Couple of weeks ago but defo worth a mention...

Pembury Tavern, Hackney.

My brother's local (Dalston end of Hackney). Went in there both before and after the Ride gig in Dalston at Hackney Arts Centre. Apparently just refurbished so can't comment on its previous (our kid always loved it before though).

Very good all-round - aided by the 'Cheers'-like atmos of all the bar staff knowing my brother by name (and I suspect reputation), but yep, a nice atmosphere, really friendly albeit irreverent staff - one of whom was a liason between the pub and the East London Brewing Company literally across the road, who tried out a couple of their latest concoctions that were 'in development' on this willing guinea pig (one of which finally has managed to combine the juice of a summer-pudding with ale - watch this space!).

There was a dazzling array of beers from the aforementioned brewery and others, but I stuck with a fantastically drinkable pilsner - quite citrusy but dry which put it pleasingly somewhere between a conventional pils and an American style IPA. 5.3% - went down like Monica Lewinsky.

Our kid recommended their pizza and he wasn't wrong; it was gorgeous - apparently they're quite celebrated for it and I'd echo that.

Khazis were a trip downstairs but pretty elegant - nice to see some art nouveau tiling in there. Which is obviously a critical point.

Near to Hackney Downs station if you're about there.

9/10. :thup:
WestHamByTheSea

Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:05 am

WestHamByTheSea wrote:Couple of weeks ago but defo worth a mention...

Pembury Tavern, Hackney.

My brother's local (Dalston end of Hackney). Went in there both before and after the Ride gig in Dalston at Hackney Arts Centre. Apparently just refurbished so can't comment on its previous (our kid always loved it before though).

Very good all-round - aided by the 'Cheers'-like atmos of all the bar staff knowing my brother by name (and I suspect reputation), but yep, a nice atmosphere, really friendly albeit irreverent staff - one of whom was a liason between the pub and the East London Brewing Company literally across the road, who tried out a couple of their latest concoctions that were 'in development' on this willing guinea pig (one of which finally has managed to combine the juice of a summer-pudding with ale - watch this space!).

There was a dazzling array of beers from the aforementioned brewery and others, but I stuck with a fantastically drinkable pilsner - quite citrusy but dry which put it pleasingly somewhere between a conventional pils and an American style IPA. 5.3% - went down like Monica Lewinsky.

Our kid recommended their pizza and he wasn't wrong; it was gorgeous - apparently they're quite celebrated for it and I'd echo that.

Khazis were a trip downstairs but pretty elegant - nice to see some art nouveau tiling in there. Which is obviously a critical point.

I played there in the 1980s with a rock covers band as a favour to a mate who's band was doing their last gig. Their bass player had stormed out of the band after a blazing row with the keyboard player who was an absolute ****, the previous week. They were terrible. Shockingly bad. My mate was on guitar and he was pretty **** as well so I should have known better and after about the third song I was thinking this can't end quick enough. The keyboard player had a mic for backing vocals and persisted in insulting random members of the audience thinking he was funny until one of them got up on stage and hit him so hard he fell into the drum kit. That was it, gig ended, I was happy, didn't even wait around for my money, just packed up my gear and left sharpish. I have never set foot in the place since then. It was an absolute hovel back then and had a reputation for being a hell-hole so it's obviously changed but it surprises me it didn't close down back then.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby LincolnshireHammer on Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:47 pm

Bricklayers in Putney was fantastic at the weekend, thanks for heads up! Will be re-visiting!
LincolnshireHammer

Postby Rio on Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:48 pm

WestHamByTheSea wrote:Couple of weeks ago but defo worth a mention...

Pembury Tavern, Hackney.

I did a crowdfunded investment in the FivePoints Brewery based over the road who are behind the revamp of the Pembury. Top notch boozer, food good, staff excellent. Well worth a visit
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Postby prophet:marginal on Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:45 pm

The Grapes, in Limehouse.

Decent pint of Guinness, but the prices were a little toppy...
prophet:marginal

Postby RichieRiv on Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:30 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:The Grapes, in Limehouse.

Owned by Gandalf and run by his niece.

Red Lion, Eldon St. With it being Blackeye Friday it was rammed, but a decent pint and some of the most efficient bar staff in the capital.
RichieRiv

Postby woodgreenspur on Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:56 pm

The Sir John Oldcastle - Clerkenwell
A spoons, but a good un. Cheap beer for the area,and decent people ,no idiots.
Was in here Saturday with a fellow poster off here and two other mates
I like this pub.Loads of interesting pictures of the area from years gone by as well and first class ale.
The building it is in use to be the fancy cheese company building.For decades no one saw people enter or leave...It was admitted about 10/12 years back that it was a secret MI5 building
8/10
woodgreenspur

Postby BalaamBoy on Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:41 pm

Any good recommendations for Russel Square / Holborn / Bloomsbury area?

I'll be in town next week, and really fancy a decent pint!

Cheers

BB
BalaamBoy

Postby BabyClaret on Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:37 pm

Lady Ottoline and Princess Louise are both good shouts.
BabyClaret

Postby prophet:marginal on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:04 pm

BalaamBoy wrote:Any good recommendations for Russel Square / Holborn / Bloomsbury area?

I'll be in town next week, and really fancy a decent pint!

Cheers

BB

You ever been to London's 'oldest pub'?

Postby sendô on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:31 pm

I thought The George Inn off Borough High Street was London's oldest pub? It's certainly one of, if not.
sendô

Postby prophet:marginal on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:49 pm

Hence the inverted commas.

Postby Junco Partner on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:45 pm

A while ago I stumbled across a great little pub on one of London's 'forgotten' squares behind Great Ormond Street. Cosy, intimate, low ceilinged, 18th century number with all the shiny mahogany and polished brass it deserves. Friendly staff, mellow vibe and some excellent ales on tap...

The Queens Larder, on Queens Square, down a wee alley off Southampton Row.

I swore I'd keep it secret to avoid the throngs...but since you'll be in the area, check it out.
Junco Partner

Location: Rude and reckless, crude and feckless, been drinking brew for breakfast

Postby WHU Independent on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:00 am

Junco Partner wrote:The Queens Larder, on Queens Square, down a wee alley off Southampton Row.

A lovely pub I go to when I go to my hospital tests in Anne's Sq.

WestHamByTheSea wrote:Pembury Tavern, Hackney.
A top pub I visited on the way to the Vegan Beer festival. Very helpful bar staff, wide range of great beer, lovely atmosphere.

The Queens Head, Limehouse, E14 It's been refurbed so went in there for a beer on a pub crawl. TBVH it's a bit soundless and generic. The welcome was less than warm and the beer decent (Amstel) and reasonably priced. Had one pint and left.

Then went to The Old Ship, Limehouse E14. Run by John, a bloke I know from Booty's Wine Bar, its a gay pub which is straight friendly. Great beer, really good wine all at a very very reasonable price. John knows how to run a bar, being in the trade most of his life. Drag acts, amazing DJ's lovely helpful bar staff and a top atmosphere - this is what a proper local should be like,

The Craft Beer Pub (formerly the Railway Tavern, Limehouse E14 - this is diametrically opposed to the Old Ship - a prime example of how a pub should not be run. Bland, no atmosphere, expensive (for the area ) drinks at £5.50 + a pint and really, really crap drinks. Three of us took a few sips from our drinks - from a round that cost nearly £18.00: two pints and a small wine - and were appalled. My lager - forget the name - tasted like someone got a large bag of hops, crushed them down into a pint glass and added some water. A foul concoction that I left. My mate had a glass of red wine, which he left and commented "I've had better wine coming out of a vinegar bottle in a pie and mash shop", whilst my other mate said his IPA type beer was "disgusting." We all left our drinks and went back to The Old Ship and stayed there all night - that's how good it is.

The Tommy Flowers, Poplar, E14 - a proper local, with great community spirit, a very warm welcome, very reasonable priced beer/wine and top bar staff. One of my favourite pubs to drink in, but if you are of an Ale nature, be prepared to drink Guinness or bottled ale, as they only have one ale on cask: Plateau.
WHU Independent

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug