what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby WHU Independent on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:11 am

prophet:marginal wrote:That's an amazing story.

It's an amazing place P:M! I also forgot to mention that it is officially "Closed on a Sunday, but the staff had no qualms about letting us all in - with a shed load of beer. They came round and gave him is pain medication, came in with a huge plate of fresh cream cakes (that had been donated by a local bakery that hour) for all of us to eat, and really, really cared for him. Apparently when we went he got up to get a glass of water about 1 AM in the morning and the nurse went "Hi there. Do you want a beer - there's some Becks in the fridge. Oh and we were donated some wine too?" He walked back with Becks in one pocket and a small bottle of red in the other.

In addition, he's suffering from massive water retention and looks 9 months pregnant - he has no functioning liver/gall bladder or Pancreas any more - and they brought it this top notch kit that drained 28 pints of fluid out of him. He said it was much better than the kit they have at Southend Hospital (which he calls "the Butchers") and he was very pleased with how they dealt with the who draining thing.

He's going out the way he wants and I have to respect that as much as I am not overly happy about it. If he quit drinking he could have 1-3 years a while ago, not he's got a matter of days. It's his choice.
WHU Independent

Postby sendô on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:56 am

Fair play to him then.

How much was he drinking to get cirrhosis of the liver ffs.
sendô

Postby WHU Independent on Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:46 pm

sendô wrote:Fair play to him then.

How much was he drinking to get cirrhosis of the liver ffs.

Sendo: On average, baring in mind he first started drinking since he was 12, I'd say between 8-10 pints a night all his life since till his age now, which is 62.

That said, I've seen him polish off 32 bottles (the larges one not the 33 cl ones)of beer plus a bottle of wine and shorts (brandy) in one sitting. I've only seen him not drink about 4 days of my life and that was when he was really ill.

When he lived in the USA he would do two half racks of beer a night. At a weekend that plus a couple of bottles of wine and maybe brandy. When we went out, the day had to be planned round him having a drink at one point. I remember being in a car with him, sitting in a massive traffic jam on a freeway and he started getting reall growly and agressive to me and his wife who, was driving. "Oh" she said, "It's beer oclock and you can't get your hands on one, can you?" She divorced him in the end, due to his drinking and his behaviour when drunk. Another time, we found a lovely restruant in Seattle and he refused point blank to go in. We wondered why and then realised it was a "dry" eaterie.

He's lost mates, family and wives through his drinking but luckily I've managed to reunite him with his daughter, some of his old mates and an ex wife now he has days left to live. He never saw his drinking as a problem, he just "liked a drink." He'd them give an example of another mate of mine that drinks more than him and ask "why me and not him?" The reason is my other mate takes at least a month off drinking every year, eats well, has a hard manual job and doesn't do any drugs - and better genes I imagine.

That said he's facing his demise like a man tbh and is going out the way he wants. He told me that he is glad in a way coz "being 80, infirm sitting in front of the TV with a pipe and slippers would kill me more that my illness is."

and he should be dead by the weekend.
WHU Independent

Postby Moxy on Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:51 pm

You sound like a real friend WHU, hope he passes away as peacefully and pain free as possible.
Moxy

Postby Chicken Run Supreme on Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:55 pm

Maybe I've been out of pubs too long now but FFS £7.75 for a pint of Heineken and a packet of crisps at bar in Stansted airport!!??? That's a bit rich.

4/10, it was a nice pint and that dragged the score up a fair bit.
Chicken Run Supreme

Postby sendô on Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:37 pm

WHU Independent wrote:Sendo: On average, baring in mind he first started drinking since he was 12, I'd say between 8-10 pints a night all his life since till his age now, which is 62.

Bloody hell. He's done well to live as long as he has.
sendô

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:17 pm

sendô wrote:Bloody hell. He's done well to live as long as he has.

I was thinking the same thing. I've known people drink as much but die from other related illnesses (usually heart attacks or cancer)
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby WHU Independent on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:09 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:I was thinking the same thing. I've known people drink as much but die from other related illnesses (usually heart attacks or cancer)

And here is the irony.

His mum died of cancer.
His dad died of cancer.
Two of his other living relatives have terminal cancer.

He doesn't have it whatsoever, but he;'s dying of drinking too much.
WHU Independent

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:20 am

WHU Independent wrote:
And here is the irony.

His mum died of cancer.
His dad died of cancer.
Two of his other living relatives have terminal cancer.

He doesn't have it whatsoever, but he;'s dying of drinking too much.

:shock:

Unreal, although you'd be surprised how they can now determine if you're liable to get certain forms of cancer. My missus had breast cancer and they determined from her family tree and whether her relatives had certain types of cancer, if my missus' kids were likely to have breast cancer. It's all to do with certain genes and doctors can now predict with some accuracy who'll get it in the family and take preventative measures to ensure it's treated very early on.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Previous

Return to The Snug