What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby Coops on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:48 pm

Denzil wrote:Bogaz in Chelmsford.

Turkish I guess following the sheesh model which seems to be the new 'in' cuisine. Very good atmosphere, we sat upstairs which looked better than down but both buzzing. They do turn the lights off and pump out music for someone's birthday, four whilst we were there, which becomes a bit annoying as you're tucking into your lamb chops.

Food was nice, I've had better chops but they were good enough. Food was a bit on the lumpy side with mains priced at around a score, plus extra for sides. Starters about £8. It was what I'd consider London prices which knocks a point off the score for me. All in I'd give it a 7/10. Will go back, would order a different main though.

We have a Bogaz in Rayleigh. I have only had a takeaway, I think it is decent but very overpriced for what it is. Funnily enough I think that you could get the same but much cheaper in London.
Coops

Postby HighWycombeHammer on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:32 pm

The old Bengal in Beaconsfield. Large Indian in a developed house. Friendly staff in a relaxed atmosphere. Good choice of food at a reasonable cost. There was 14 off us at a mates birthday bash.
Poppadum's
Prawn Puree
Chicken Phall
Kingfisher

7/10
HighWycombeHammer

Postby Nesticles on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:48 pm

HighWycombeHammer wrote:The old Bengal in Beaconsfield. Large Indian in a developed house. Friendly staff in a relaxed atmosphere. Good choice of food at a reasonable cost. There was 14 off us at a mates birthday bash.
Poppadum's
Prawn Puree
Chicken Phall
Kingfisher

7/10

Will need to check that out :thup:
Nesticles

Postby HighWycombeHammer on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:57 am

Will need to check that out :thup:[/quote]

Are you local then?
HighWycombeHammer

Postby view from the shires on Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:45 pm

The Pony & Trap - Chew Magna.

Just superb - can't fault it! 10/10.

Value for money, incredible food and the friendliest staff of any restaurant I have been to.
view from the shires

Postby Nesticles on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:46 pm

HighWycombeHammer wrote:Are you local then?

Uxbridge

Go to Beaconsfield now and again for food. We ate at The Swan pub a few weeks ago. Food was lovely, nice wings and good quality burgers. Some decent beers on tap too.
Nesticles

Postby HighWycombeHammer on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:41 pm

Go to Beaconsfield now and again for food. We ate at The Swan pub a few weeks ago. Food was lovely, nice wings and good quality burgers. Some decent beers on tap too.[/quote]

Next time if you have not been there save up and go to the Crazy Bear in the old town. Total class and totally expensive but worth a good night out for food and drink or sitting by the pool in the summer. Win the lottery and stay the night..
HighWycombeHammer

Postby Algarve Hammer on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:51 pm

Masala Mantra, Fonte de Boliqueime, Algarve, Portugal.

Now I appreciate this is not very helpful to most of you as a recommendation, but it was so good I felt I had to mention it.

This is most definitely not your average Indian restaurant.

The very accomplished chef Narayan, comes to your table and asks you your preference, vegan, vegetarian or your preferred meat, he then checks if you have any dislikes and what sort of spice level you like.
Having the information he needs he will then suggest a menu for you and discuss any tweaks you may prefer. Everything is cooked from scratch so the food takes a little while to arrive but the atmosphere is relaxed and the front of house staff, one of whom is the chef's wife are very friendly and attentive.

We had a lamb kebab starter to share, Mrs AH had a lamb main and I had a chicken dish, we were told what they were called but I'm afraid I've forgotten, steamed rice and a chef's special naan to compliment.

Absolutely superb, we will most definitely return.

9/10 (Only because I never give 10).
Algarve Hammer

Postby Nesticles on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:17 pm

HighWycombeHammer wrote:Next time if you have not been there save up and go to the Crazy Bear in the old town. Total class and totally expensive but worth a good night out for food and drink or sitting by the pool in the summer. Win the lottery and stay the night..

I've done a few drinks and the Sunday roast at the Crazy Bear which was excellent, and not too overly expensive

I saw you mentioned it on this thread, but if I am going to be spending that sort of money anytime soon it would be for a trip to Tom Kerridge's Hand and Flowers gaff
Nesticles

Postby Nesticles on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:21 pm

I'm off to Blacklock in Soho this Sunday for their roast. Can't wait

I've never had the roast there, but the rest of the food is superb. Some of the best grub I have eaten in London for many years.
Nesticles

Postby Centre Half on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:32 pm

Nesticles wrote:I'm off to Blacklock in Soho this Sunday for their roast. Can't wait

I've never had the roast there, but the rest of the food is superb. Some of the best grub I have eaten in London for many years.

I'm going the following Sunday! Let me know how it is, agree about the rest of their grub I think it's outstanding. And as I think I said on this thread earlier I really think the 'all in' is terrific value

Off to Hoppers on Saturday with my mum for her 50th, also superb!
Centre Half

Postby Concerned of Canvey on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:46 pm

Went to The Ned a couple of Sundays ago for their Sunday Lunch buffet.

Excellent choice of food, Oysters, Lobster, Prawns, choice of Roast meats, Jazz Band playing all lunch time and wonderful surroundings. £44 pp plus drinks and service.

Highly recommended 8.5/10
Concerned of Canvey

Postby Denzil on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:15 pm

Just got back from blacklock myself - 3 cuts off the board between 4. Can't move.
Denzil

Postby Rocketron on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:45 pm

Denzil wrote:Just got back from blacklock myself - 3 cuts off the board between 4. Can't move.

English translation required please.
Rocketron

Postby Denzil on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:23 am

Haha, sorry mate & understandable you had absolutely no idea what I was banging on about.

Three cuts of meat off of the blackboard between four of us; Barnsley Chop, Prime Rib, two smoked bacon chops & Toma-pork, with sides on top of starters. I think we worked out that we ordered 2.8kg of meat. Off piste rather than the chop platter they do.

I was in a severe meat coma yesterday and even my typing fingers were on the brink of exhaustion. I'd have used even fewer syllables if possible.

Been about five times now (always City one) and it gets a minimum of 8.5/10 every time.
Denzil

Postby Nesticles on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:32 am

I think it's really good, and considering the location and quality of the food the price is very reasonable

The quality of the the meats, beef dripping chips and their own home brew lager :thup:
Nesticles

Postby EastBrisHammer on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:10 am

view from the shires wrote:The Pony & Trap - Chew Magna.

Just superb - can't fault it! 10/10.

Value for money, incredible food and the friendliest staff of any restaurant I have been to.

Looks expensive to me. But from your comments I presume it was worth every penny?
EastBrisHammer

Postby HighWycombeHammer on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:08 am

Shaka Zula - Camden

The wife and I were there on Saturday night. Just by the lock. A huge place on 2 floors. Top floor was the bar and downstairs via the elevator was the restaurant. We were table 111. It had wooden statues all over place. Very busy a lively and later in the night the DJ comes on.

I had the Zeebra steak and my wife had the beer steak. Very nice evening and different from most places. Service was good. All waiters and waitresses were mid twenties and all were smiling which makes a nice change.

Definately worth a visit as the theme of the South African ethos works.

9/10
HighWycombeHammer

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:32 pm

Nesticles wrote:I think it's really good, and considering the location and quality of the food the price is very reasonable

The quality of the the meats, beef dripping chips and their own home brew lager :thup:

Will be taking 'er indoors' to this establishment on the back of your recommendation and the other posters who mentioned it. Cheers!
Cockneyboy311

Postby Centre Half on Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:37 pm

Going to Randys wing bar (Hackney wick side of olympic park) for the all you can eat wings tonight!

How many to put away for a decent performance?
Centre Half

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug