What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby Nesticles on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:46 pm

Cockneyboy311 wrote:Will be taking 'er indoors' to this establishment on the back of your recommendation and the other posters who mentioned it. Cheers!

You won't regret it, it's excellent

I went with my Mrs on Sunday for the roast. The only time we could get was 12pm as the Sunday Roast gets booked up weeks in advance

We went for the all in, a huge platter of Roast Lamb, Pork and Beef. Veggies, Roast Potatoes, huge Yorkshire Puds, crackling, and a lovely dish of gravy they happily keep topped up for you. We had additional sides of Horseradish and Mint (£1 each) and a side of Cauliflower Cheese which was declicious

I had a few of their homebrew beers and the Mrs had a few cocktails

The bill was about £65 which inc a tip, the staff are excellent

A solid 9 out of 10. I can't wait to go back.
Last edited by Nesticles on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nesticles

Postby HighWycombeHammer on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:22 am

On Sunday I visited the Boot at Bledlow Ridge for a family birthday. This used to be a pub in a small community which went bust about 10 years ago. About 5 years ago the locals bought it and opened it up again as a country pub restaurant. good homely food. I had whitebait, pork belly with all the trimmings and sticky toffee pudding all washed down with 3 pints of Guiness.

Happy days.

8/10
HighWycombeHammer

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:17 pm

After reading on here the other week about Blacklock - i booked it for the end of january as part of the wifes birthday celebrations and im really pleased that i did

It was the wifes birthday and they gave us prosseco upon arrival - the food was excellent as was the service - mrs asked them how to cook one of the sides and they told us - shes gonna try at home soon

they then brought out the rhubarb cheesecake with a candle in it - which was also delicious

love the place and cant wait to go again
psychoscoredthelot

Postby EastBrisHammer on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:33 pm

Shame the Blacklock isn't my kind of food although the roast dinners sound good.
EastBrisHammer

Postby Denzil on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:19 pm

Went to an upmarket fine dining Michelin starred Indian last night. What what what.

Tandoori Cod - Superb
Rack of Lamb to share - superbly superb. Melt in the mouth good.
Chocolate fondant with Caramel and Peanut butter ice cream - one of the most well put together desserts I've ever eaten.

All washed down with a bottle of claret

I was lucky enough to be on a work evening so wasn't net account, otherwise I wouldn't be in there for dinner unless it was a special occasion!

No poppadoms though, so can they really call it an Indian?

9.5/10.

Edit: would help if I told you the name of the place! The Cinnamon Club
Denzil

Postby WHU Independent on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:55 pm

Eastway Brasserie at Hotel Andaz, Liverpool Street.

Got taken in here by an old mate for a breakfast business meeting. It's really well decorated and turned out, but you can see ( at 11 am) it has a real business meeting vibe. It's a place business people go for breakfast and early meetings, I suspect, given the amount of suits, business literature on the table and briefcases that abounded.

There was a limited menu for me, but as soon as I mentioned that I was a vegan, there were a lot of suggestions -They even made sure there was no eggs in the hash browns - and I ended up with a fry up.: beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, hash browns and fried bread. That plus 3 cups of really decent coffee and a pink grapefruit juice - all very nice, topped off by really helpful service.

The bogs were fantastic, but about a minutes walk away upstairs in the hotel. I lucked up as the hotel was being used as some kind of model make-up session and there were about 30 or so really cracking women wandering about, some in their skimpies :)

All -in all a very pleasant morning (my friend loved her meat based full English btw) and a very pleasant place to have breakfast. I can't comment on the prices as the bill was paid for me.

Solid 7.5/10
WHU Independent

Postby Denzil on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:20 pm

WHU Independent wrote:Eastway Brasserie at Hotel Andaz, Liverpool Street.

Got taken in here by an old mate for a breakfast business meeting. It's really well decorated and turned out, but you can see ( at 11 am) it has a real business meeting vibe. It's a place business people go for breakfast and early meetings, I suspect, given the amount of suits, business literature on the table and briefcases that abounded.

There was a limited menu for me, but as soon as I mentioned that I was a vegan, there were a lot of suggestions -They even made sure there was no eggs in the hash browns - and I ended up with a fry up.: beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, hash browns and fried bread. That plus 3 cups of really decent coffee and a pink grapefruit juice - all very nice, topped off by really helpful service.

The bogs were fantastic, but about a minutes walk away upstairs in the hotel. I lucked up as the hotel was being used as some kind of model make-up session and there were about 30 or so really cracking women wandering about, some in their skimpies :)

All -in all a very pleasant morning (my friend loved her meat based full English btw) and a very pleasant place to have breakfast. I can't comment on the prices as the bill was paid for me.

Solid 7.5/10

Isnt that gaff a brass house? Allegedly
Denzil

Postby WHU Independent on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:26 pm

Denzil wrote:snt that gaff a brass house? Allegedly

TBH it looked all above board. There were lots of people with massive - think table tennis table -sized- make up kits, people had name tags and ID badges and it had door women checking who came in and out. Women were being made up and it looked as if seminars were being given on make up techniques. There were also ranges of clothes (think catwalk stuff) and women were changing into them. I felt like I was behind the scenes at a catwalk rather than in a brothel - though I understand (having been not been to either a brothel or the back of a cat walk tbvh) the two can be quite similar at times.
WHU Independent

Postby Coops on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:07 pm

I am looking for the best burger in London.
Any recommendation
Coops

Postby BalaamBoy on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:12 pm

Best burger I've had recently was in Foxlow in Smithfield
BalaamBoy

Postby BalaamBoy on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:13 pm

Give the chains a swerve, although I hear good things about Honest Burgers
BalaamBoy

Postby Denzil on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:28 pm

Honest Burger is very very good. Plus they do bacon gravy :thup:

I've heard a lot of people rave about Bleeker Burger but I've yet to go. Someone told me they had a Hawksmoore burger the other day which they said was superb but I'd struggle to go there and not order steak.

My top three I've had in London are 1) The Dead Hippie burger at Meat Mission, Hoxton 2) Honest Burger, Liverpool Street 3) Stokey Bears, Stoke Newington
Denzil

Postby Coops on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:47 pm

Cheers for the tips.
Has anybody been to Byron burger? A friend was raving about it so I was going to give it a go.
Coops

Postby Mayday on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:00 pm

I reckon I've done all the 'best' burgers in London.
My top five are:

1. Goodman's
2. Hawksmoor
3. Elliot's cafe
4. Joe Allen
5. Patty & Bun

Honest burgers and Byron are not much different to Five guys or something. Better than Burger King but not a patch on the best places.
Mayday

Postby Coops on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:36 pm

Mayday wrote:I reckon I've done all the 'best' burgers in London.
My top five are:

1. Goodman's
2. Hawksmoor
3. Elliot's cafe
4. Joe Allen
5. Patty & Bun

Honest burgers and Byron are not much different to Five guys or something. Better than Burger King but not a patch on the best places.

I haven't tried any of them. This needs to change.
Coops

Postby York Ham(mer) on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:38 pm

Had breakfast at the Ivy in York. Interesting. The crowds still go to Bettys though.
York Ham(mer)

Postby Centre Half on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Blacklock Soho for the Roast 9/10

I've sung the praises of this place plenty on here before, and my first experience of their roast didn't disappoint either.

Me and the missus went for the 'all in', a mountain of food- beef, pork, lamb, pork ribs piled on top of the trimmings. Bone marrow gravy was up there with the best I've ever tasted

We weren't drinking as we had a very heavy Saturday night but from my prior visits their home brew beer is very good.

Booked myself in for the Temper roast in early April, if it's anywhere close to as good it will be a great meal!
Centre Half

Postby Nesticles on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:57 am

Centre Half wrote:Booked myself in for the Temper roast in early April, if it's anywhere close to as good it will be a great meal!

The roast at Temper is decent. A very different setup to Blacklock but still very good.
Nesticles

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:35 pm

Coops wrote:I am looking for the best burger in London.
Any recommendation

meat liquor is very good - onion rings the size of tyres
psychoscoredthelot

Postby ironstu on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:58 pm

Coops wrote:Cheers for the tips.
Has anybody been to Byron burger? A friend was raving about it so I was going to give it a go.

Probably not up there with some if the options that others have mentioned but they do a cracking burger.

Pretty much the only chain restaurant I'll eat in. Buffalo Wings and a Byron Burger, superb.
ironstu

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug