What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby Knighter10WHU on Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:29 pm

Coops wrote:Cheers for the tips.
Has anybody been to Byron burger? A friend was raving about it so I was going to give it a go.

Big fan of Byron Burger, its the best of the chain burger joints in my opinion. Five Guys is very good for what it is (glorified McDonalds) but annoyingly overpriced which is a shame because the food is decent there.
Knighter10WHU

Postby Centre Half on Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:59 pm

I personally like Honest Burger, haven't been to Byron though to compare.

I thought Bleecker at spitalfieds was outstanding but it's not a restuarant, if you are lucky you can grab a seat in the market however

Looking forward to trying Burger and Beyond on Friday night- they've got a little gaff set up in Camden's daughter/
Centre Half

Postby Toulouse_Iron on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:22 pm

Byron Burgers are in the poo. Up to 20 restaurants to close in a restructuring plan due to huge debts. The risk is that they will cut corners looking to cut costs.....
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form

Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on

Postby chigwells finest on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:52 am

Toulouse_Iron wrote:Byron Burgers are in the poo. Up to 20 restaurants to close in a restructuring plan due to huge debts. The risk is that they will cut corners looking to cut costs.....

over expanded , the rents on their properties must be eye watering
chigwells finest

Postby WHU Independent on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:30 am

Wahaca, Covent Garden. 5 Beers, 1 vodka and coke, 3 starters 1 main, 4 side dishes for less than £60 (including a decent tip) between three of us - yes please. Yet again Wahaca lives up to its high standard ( to me anyhow :) ) for fresh food, great service and a lovely atmosphere. The have a dedicated vegan menu too!

My Carnist mates said that their meat was "beautifully cooked, perfectly spiced and seriously tender" and would deffo visit again (it was their first time.). My winter veg enchiladas were spot on, with the portions just right, leaving plenty of room for my tender stem Broccoli with spicy verde salsa.

Another great visit to a nice place to eat. 9/10
WHU Independent

Postby Denzil on Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:11 am

Yep, big fan of Wahaca
Denzil

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:49 pm

i like wahaca too but havent eaten there since the food poisoning incident
psychoscoredthelot

Postby chigwells finest on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:26 pm

went to the fat turk in warley brentwood last weekend . enjoyed the food very busy .
chigwells finest

Postby Coops on Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:31 am

Had an odd one in Meat Liquor, Brixton last night.
First off the upstairs was shut, the downstairs was tiny and full, so we were offered a table outside, which I declined. We were told it would be about 20 minutes wait, which I said was fine we would have a drink at the bar. But the people didn't leave for ages.

So eventually we were seated, me and Coops the younger had the Dead Hippie Burger, Mrs Coops went for a Halloumi and mushroom burger (as she isn't a big meat eater). Ours were all good (if a bit smaller than I was hoping for) but Mrs Coops's didn't have any mushroom in it.
Now she isn't one to complain (apart from to me) but I said we are paying £8 for a cheese roll and it needs to be right. So I called the waitress and sent it back. Within 5 minutes back comes an under cooked halloumi and mushroom burger, but this time it has been ridiculously over seasoned. I had a bite and couldn't believe how salty it was.
So I spoke up again, almost apologetically. The waitress offered to get us another and we wouldn't be charged for it, but the Mrs had gone right off of the idea by then, besides the rest of us had finished our meals. So we declined and asked for the bill instead.

The waitress went away and came back 5 minutes later telling us that due to our wait and our unsatisfactory meal she would comp the whole bill. So we never got charged for any of our food or drinks. Which saved me at least £60/70 but then Mrs Coops never did get her cheese roll.

So bit of a bad experience, but I can't fault how well he serving staff dealt with it. I'm a bit richer, Mrs Coops is a bit thinner and I still had a decent burger. I'm claiming that as a win.
Coops

Postby Denzil on Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:08 pm

Haha perfect ending Coops. I went to Meat Mission in Hoxton for lunch last week, the dead hippies are superb! Although I was fat and got a dead trippie (triple patty).

We got stuck into a few of their Game Over cocktails (limited to two per person). Four each later, we were pretty much asked to leave as we were being too loud...at 4pm. Good going.

I personally think everything they do is nice in there food wise. Monkey fingers, chilli cheese fries, dead hippie. Usually my go-to.
Denzil

Postby Coops on Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:05 am

Denzil wrote:Haha perfect ending Coops. I went to Meat Mission in Hoxton for lunch last week, the dead hippies are superb! Although I was fat and got a dead trippie (triple patty).

We got stuck into a few of their Game Over cocktails (limited to two per person). Four each later, we were pretty much asked to leave as we were being too loud...at 4pm. Good going.

I personally think everything they do is nice in there food wise. Monkey fingers, chilli cheese fries, dead hippie. Usually my go-to.

I would definitely go for the trippie next time. As for the actual food it was as good as any chain burger I have had. I agree about the chilli cheese fries, they were great. I didn't have one of the cocktails, maybe I should if I go back again.
Coops

Postby Denzil on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:11 am

The Coal Shed, Tower Bridge. Another restaurant I found on Time Out which delivers yet again.

A Steak & Seafood restaurant at the foot of the saarf side of Tower Bridge. Tucked round an alley way it is very unassuming but inside feels inviting, not too poncey and the staff are all down to earth and knowledgeable about their food and wine. They have a restaurant in Brighton which has apparently been a huge success, so have now recently opened a London location.

Everything on the menu I could eat. In fact, I plan to go back and work my was through it. https://www.coalshed-restaurantlondon.c ... enu=510397" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There were three of us and we just went tapas style: Smoked Lamb Croquettes (superb), half a dozen oysters, smoked short rib (even better) and bream ceviche to start. Could not fault any of it and would happily order that again.

For main we shared the smoked goat on a recommendation and it is up there with the best smoked or BBQ'd meat I have eaten in London. Given London has really upped it's meaty game in recent years this is a huge pat on the back. It comes with a few middle eastern style sides which accompanied it well and was on a flatbread bed, which soaked up all over the juices and could have actually been my favourite part of the whole meal. There were three fellas next to us about to order as the goat came out and they took one look and ordered it right away.

We also got the whole fish to share, which in hindsight was probably not required but also exceptionally cooked (monkfish). Washed down with a few near perfect bloody mary's before and a bottle Gavi Di Gavi (not into my wine as much as the other two but apparently was a lovely drop).

Will definitely go back and on first servings I put it ahead of Blacklock and Smokestak - albeit slightly different styled restaurants for those two. I would be keen to try the steak next time to see how it stacks up to the likes of Goodmans and Hawksmoor which I think are two of my favourite steak restaurants.

I'm rambling now but basically, just go and try it. And order the goat.

9.5/10
Denzil

Postby Estuary on Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:57 pm

The Roast - Borough Market.
Great location, lovely room, we had a great table with a view across to St Pauls and great service, I had salmon followed by roast belly of pork and cheese to finish. All of which was first class. The we had two bottles of jeroboam's of Malbec between seven of us, and got out for £83 a head including tip.
7/10, would be a 8/10 but for the lumpy bill.
Estuary

Postby prophet:marginal on Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:38 pm

Proportionately, how much of that bill went on the booze?

Is a jeroboam a double bottle, or bigger than that?
prophet:marginal

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:54 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:Proportionately, how much of that bill went on the booze?

Is a jeroboam a double bottle, or bigger than that?

Magnum's a double. Jeroboam's usually 4, sometimes 6, times a standard 750ml bottle.
DasNutNock

Postby WHU Independent on Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:34 am

Tutti's, Lamb Conduits Street, EC4

Popped in here with my sister for a snack. The food was decent enough - Mushroom roll for me (think sausage roll, but filled with mushrooms) and mixed salad + 1 cappuccino, a Berry Merry smoothie (blackberry, blueberry, banana and cranberry juice) and a spinach quiche, two mix salads and latte for her.

My mushroom roll was really salty - I mean REALLY salty - and I had to leave some of it. Gave me a raging thirst for the rest of the night. The salads were really nice, and some thought had been given in creating them as they were very unusual. My cappuccino was blood lovely though. My sister said her food was acceptable and left some.

However the service was woeful. Dreadful in fact. The food was just shoved on out table without comment,randomly, with no enquiries as to whose was whos. The food came up quick but the drinks took an age.The staff really had a "I don't give a **** attitude" and the whole place was run with a real Laissez-faire style. The final straw was when I went to pay (£21.60 in total) and held my hand out for the change, the woman on the till put the money on the counter and not into my outstretched waiting hand - and it was obvious from the look on her face that this was done deliberately.

Needless to say I didn't proffer a tip.

Food 6/10
Coffee 9/0
Service 0/10

Due the the third score, I'll never go back again.
WHU Independent

Postby chigwells finest on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:17 pm

another :thup: for The Ned , excellent sunday lunch today , beautiful buliding , great place to eat
chigwells finest

Postby Francoisvander or else on Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:50 pm

Gourmet Turk in Bishops Stortford Saturday night. Food was a bit pricey but the wine list was fair value which made up for it. Had Baba ganoush to start followed by a mixed shish. Only 3 cubes of chicken and 3 cubes of lamb (one of which was more fat than meat). Mrs FVE had Liver to start which she raved about follwed by Adana Kofte which she thought was okay.

Food 7/10
Drinks 8/10
Decor 8/10
Singer 11/10 nice tight dress with a cracking pair of Bristol City's :)
Francoisvander or else

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:41 pm

The Bush Inn - Somehwere in cornwall (close to kilkhampton - 5-10 mins drive anyway)

best sunday roast ive had in a pub and those cornwall folk are not good with sums (ended up cheaper than we expected )

10/10
psychoscoredthelot

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:44 pm

Chicetti - Piccadilly Circus

Italian tapas

absolutely lovely grub

service is great - its always heaving in there so might want to book in advance

Crab ravioli
taglatelle bolognese (although the boar one is even better)
Sausage and spinach flatbreads
courgette frittiti
bruschetta to start
2x panacottas
1 bottle of water

£30 a head

10/10
psychoscoredthelot

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug