What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby Denzil on Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:00 am

Centre Half wrote:Best asian restaurant (Korean/ Thai/ Chinese) for a quickish bite to eat near Liverpool Street ?

Thai - Rosa's or Som Saa
Vietnamese - Pho
Chinese - My Old Place
Denzil

Postby view from the shires on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:30 pm

MooreHurst wrote:Hinds Head - Bray for a Sunday roast
They class it has a pub but it isn't, its a restaurant.

It has a Michelin star and is one of Heston's places in Bray, so you expect it to be top notch. Can't fault it at all, went for 3 courses.
Starter - Pea & Ham Soup, with scotch egg, absolute perfect.
Main - Roast Dinner, Angus beer, potatoes, red cabbage, Yorkshire, veg. Everything was nailed on perfect.
Dessert - Cross between a bread and butter pudding and crumble, it nailed two traditional Sunday roast desserts in one. Top notch.
Had a nice bottle of Rioja (£44), I had a stout and a after dinner cocktail (Rum Old fashioned), Mrs had two cocktails. Total bill £198 including service charge.

Thought it was a superb really, they have a nice upstairs seating area, the hunting room, to enjoy a drink, service is good while not being formal and all over the top. The one thing I think would have been good is to have a proper bar, with Ales on. Everything is bottled. But as I say its a pub turned into a restaurant now. But you can enjoy a nice pint down the road in the Crown.
So 9/10

The wife and I went a few months ago on menu change day. Safe to say we won't ever be going back there again. We are still at a loss how they managed to serve canon of lamb grey instead of pink. The only edible course was the crab on toast............and I could have done that myself. There were a lot of people complaining during out visit and the only happy people were the once who went off menu.

We have had far better food at The Pony & Trap (Josh Eggleton) in Chew Magna and the Hand and Flowers (Tom Kerridge) in Marlow.
view from the shires

Postby RichieRiv on Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:25 am

Cecconi's on Burlington Gardens. Old school Italian with excellent service and pretty good food.

Had octopus to start and then veal milanese. All wash down with reasonable red. Quite toppy, but it was our wedding anniversary.
RichieRiv

Postby bubbles1966 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:05 pm

London Yacht last night.

Very nice 9/10.

Good food, good service, fabulous views, plenty to drink. Pint of lager for under a fiver in a restaurant.
bubbles1966

Postby Denzil on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:40 am

Off to Temper tomorrow. It's completely split down the middle at work with some giving it a 9 and others a 5. Keen to try it myself. Anyone been on here and have any recommendations?
Denzil

Postby Denzil on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:55 am

Banana Tree - Chelmsford.

New 'Asian Fusion' restaurant next door to Turtle Bay for those that know the area. It's a chain so I am always a little apprehensive (living in Victoria Park must've rubbed off on me, bloody hippies).

Anyway, went there Friday evening and my expectations were met. The bar area felt like it hadnt been finished and we had to wait 20 mins for our table because it was busy in there, being 8pm. Waited a good 15 minutes for our drinks and the little table waiting buzzer went off before we even received them. I was hungover from the night before but putting a brave face on for the mrs because I didnt want to get those rolled eyes and "our one night out and you're hungover and grumpy" lecture, so I put up with it but inside I was not happy. Here we go I thought.

Now into the restaurant and how it all changed for the better...We sat down and the lady that served us was very helpful, a nice little Asian lady who talked us through each dish and helped the Mrs out as she's a veggie (I know, I know). We shared starters; veggie spring rolls and caramelised aubergine. Her choice. Both were unbelievably good. I was shocked at how much I enjoyed them. Prawn crackers were also exceptional. Fresh and crunchy (I always think you can tell how good your Thai/Chinese meal is going to be from the quality of the prawn crackers at the start, likewise with Poppadoms in an Indian).

For my main I had the house special Laksa. Wasnt sure which meat to go with so the waitress suggested I go for all the meats. Great idea love. In hindsight it was probably overkill but in the moment and all that. Now this was spectacular, fresh, full of flavour and a very healthy portion. When I was in Chiang Mai I had a dish called Khao Soi at a little roadside stall cooked up by a little old Thai lady in a large vat attached to her scooter and have been searching for somewhere in London that makes something similar which I hadn't been able to until now, but this is the closest thing to it. Well impressed.

I take it all back about chains, this one does it well. Improve the service and initial ambience and you've got yourself a top restaurant here. Starter each, main each, prawn crackers at the start one beer and a couple of soft drinks for a bulls-eye, can't grumble with that. We both felt very well fed after.

8/10
Last edited by Denzil on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Denzil

Postby Centre Half on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:14 am

Denzil wrote:Off to Temper tomorrow. It's completely split down the middle at work with some giving it a 9 and others a 5. Keen to try it myself. Anyone been on here and have any recommendations?

Not really a gaff to order for yourself, plates of the meats are small so just get everything and have a bit of all of it.

I liked it but wasn't completely bowled over, as I said on this thread previously I think blacklock is better and substantially cheaper
Centre Half

Postby Big George on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:51 am

Denzil wrote:Off to Temper tomorrow. It's completely split down the middle at work with some giving it a 9 and others a 5. Keen to try it myself. Anyone been on here and have any recommendations?

Been twice and loved it both times. Great atmosphere and the food is done really well, a little bit toppy compared to other places but I think its worth it. Beef dripping tacos and the goat were right up my street but I didn't have a bad dish there.

I'm def in the 9 camp
Big George

Postby Denzil on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:53 am

Yep, the goat is what I've heard a few times now so will definitely order that.

As for Blacklock, if it even comes close to that place it's a winner already!
Denzil

Postby Big George on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:38 am

Denzil wrote:Yep, the goat is what I've heard a few times now so will definitely order that.

As for Blacklock, if it even comes close to that place it's a winner already!

Its like an upmarket Blacklock, less chops, more subtlety, better drinks too.
Big George

Postby Nesticles on Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:24 pm

Any recommendations for Hammersmith gents?

Off to the Apollo tonight, this thread has always been good to me with recommendations :thup:
Nesticles

Postby Centre Half on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:53 am

Any good Gastro Pub recommendations for food Saturday lunch time?

In east london preferably
Centre Half

Postby EastBrisHammer on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:11 am

McDonald's, Longwell Green, Bristol.

Spotless drive thru, pleasant staff and cheap. No Big Tasty so 2 marks deducted.

8/10
EastBrisHammer

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:13 pm

Centre Half wrote:Any good Gastro Pub recommendations for food Saturday lunch time?

The Castle, Walthamstow
Red Lion, Leytonstone
Scolt Head, De Beauvoir
Morgan Arms, Mile End
Kenton, Victoria Park area

First thing is choose an area. Once you have done that, there will probably be about half a dozen decent foodie pubs within a mile radius
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Denzil on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:39 pm

Centre Half wrote:Any good Gastro Pub recommendations for food Saturday lunch time?

The Empress - South Hackney :thup:
Denzil

Postby Centre Half on Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:06 pm

Centre Half wrote:Best asian restaurant (Korean/ Thai/ Chinese) for a quickish bite to eat near Liverpool Street ?

Ended up in on the bab, just off old street,

Good bibimbap although it was served within a fraction a section so I'm pretty sure it was prepared before

Korean fried chicken very tasty but small pieces. Kind of hand a hanking for a big fat piece that i could gnaw round the bone with

7/10 but Lime Orange in Victoria pisses all over it
Centre Half

Postby Denzil on Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:51 pm

Temper was nice. Nothing mind-blowing but decent enough. Service very good. Shared the squid & samphire pakora and the minced beef and tatties which were done well, then had the dry goat for main.

Solid 7/10. Keen to try more of the menu next time in a larger group.
Denzil

Postby Coops on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:08 am

SuperStar BBQ - 4 Central St Giles Piazza, London
Don't be put off by the name, it is actually really good. I have never been to a Korean BBQ before, it is a real fun experience. The food comes to your table raw and you cook it yourself as you go.
There were 4 of us and we really went for it with the food, we ordered just nearly every meat on the menu and had a few sides etc too. Plenty of food and we each had a couple of beers each and it came to £120 for the four of us.
Coops

Postby fmgod on Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:35 pm

Not a dig at you but £120 to cook your own food?
fmgod

Postby RichieRiv on Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:52 pm

30 quid a head in London? Where do I sign up.
RichieRiv

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug