What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby the pink palermo on Mon May 29, 2017 7:19 am

The Lemon Grass , Brentwood

A Thai food place on Brentwood High St , nosh was very good , service a little slow between courses .£50 a head including drinks .

7/10
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby nickkarkie on Mon May 29, 2017 9:25 am

Aspera Benfleet.

By far the best Lamb shish and Adana Kofte that I have eaten in my life, tender and full of flavour. The secret to the lamb shish is that they use the lamb neck which has amazing marbling so has that beautiful taste of lamb fat simmering in the background without being fatty at all. The Baklava was also superb, very unique, not too sweet and syrupy and also not too much filo/phyllo pastry, wrapped in pastry instead of layer upon layer. Very friendly staff and attw to be service

9/10
nickkarkie

Postby bunk on Wed May 31, 2017 4:38 pm

La Fine Mousse, Paris - Both a bar and a restaurant, the bar is pretty good if you want some craft beer in the city, certainly not cheap (€5 for half a pint) but it's very tasty. Anyhow, popped into the restaurant around 10 pm to grab some dinner to learn that their beef main was finished, leaving only the fish to have. Not the best start as i'm not the biggest fan of fish so i thought i'd go for the 2 starters. The first, a buffalo mozzarella salad with radish beetroot, pickles, grapefruit amongst others. The description doesn't do it justice at all, it was very, very good. A firm 9/10. The quality of the mozzerella was fantastic.

The second starter was a veal tartar, along with hazelnuts and sheeps yogurt. Again, another wonderful dish, definintely a twist on the 'traditional' tartar but one of the best I've ever had. This was finished off with a plate of French blue cheese, once more excellent quality and actually served at the right temperature, ever so slightly gooey. That there was no meat main course didn't start things well for La Fine Mousse, but the quality of the cooking was simply brilliant. Service was very nice too, as was the beer. 8.5/10.
bunk

Postby prophet:marginal on Wed May 31, 2017 7:40 pm

Went to Barbecoa, a Jamie restaurant, at One New Change, at the weekend, for the daughter's birthday meal. Everything about the meal, from the drinks list, to the salad garnishes accompanying the main courses, was well thought out and nicely presented. Everyone finished every part of their meal and, even though I don't really have a sweet tooth, my creme brulee pudding totally stole the show. It came with this butterscotch mousse that had 'crumbs' of meringue in it, flavoured somehow by satsuma (and probably cointreau). Excellent service, too.

Would recommend. 8.5/10.
prophet:marginal

Postby RichieRiv on Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:12 pm

Kervan Saray in Gidea Park. Went there last night with friends and their kids. Really good food and very reasonable price wise. Ok the decor is a bit dated, but I really enjoy it. I won't be eating grilled meats for a while thought, proper protein overload.

9/10
RichieRiv

Postby whuben on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:49 am

RichieRiv wrote:Kervan Saray in Gidea Park. Went there last night with friends and their kids. Really good food and very reasonable price wise. Ok the decor is a bit dated, but I really enjoy it. I won't be eating grilled meats for a while thought, proper protein overload.

9/10

My local Turkish. Certainly one of the better ones out there
whuben

Postby MooreHurst on Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:45 pm

Felix - Billericay - Fish & Grill Restaurant

New place opened in Billericay High St, went with the Mrs and a couple of friends

Started off with a cocktail, got to be honest the whisky sours were poor. The girls seemed to enjoy theirs.
Everything from there on was on a upward curve.

I have a stick beef salad to start, very nice indeed. Others had King prawns done in chill, garlic etc. Seemed very nice also.

Main was Monkfish, Scallops, Prawns done in a Bearnaise sauce. Had some sides on the table of green beans, fat chips, saute potatoes done with bacon.
Couple of other dishes on the table was Cod done in Miso and also a Halibut dish. Everyone enjoyed their dishes. Mine was very good, Monkfish did seem a little on the small side but was a fair portion with all the other bits and 3 courses. I just usually expect it to be a bit more meaty.

After we shared some desserts, Eaton Mess and Fudge pudding, all awesome.

The drinks were flowing to be fair so was not going to be cheap, a bottle of nice wine had, cocktails, coffees etc. Also me and my mate did seem to go through allot of Johnny Walker Whisky at the end. Bill was about £165 a couple including 10% service charge. But they actually split the bill out to see what you had on food and drink and the drink came too £160. Opps!

Service was brilliant, atmosphere great and nicely decked out. Very nice place to have on my doorstep. Only problem is getting a reservation, they are getting booked out on a Friday to Saturday until end of summer already.

There's a few tweaks they need to do to get it up to superb, which you can tell they want to do and will be able to do. I would give it a 8.5 out of 10.
MooreHurst

Postby chigwells finest on Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:11 pm

Masons in |Ingrave road Brentwood saturday night , very nice

Veyso (?) collier row last night , excellent
chigwells finest

Postby bubbles1966 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:48 pm

Bella Naples in South Woodford yesterday evening.

Kind of place I wouldn't go especially out of the way for, but if I was going past I'd be happy to drop in.

Not bad at all, family feel to it. £52 for two three courses and a bit of alcohol - wine/beer.

6/10-7/10.
bubbles1966

Postby Big George on Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:57 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:Bella Naples in South Woodford yesterday evening.

Kind of place I wouldn't go especially out of the way for, but if I was going past I'd be happy to drop in.

Not bad at all, family feel to it. £52 for two three courses and a bit of alcohol - wine/beer.

6/10-7/10.

I like Bella Naples, excellent pizza
Big George

Postby Big George on Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:17 pm

Annual list of 100 best restaurants in the U.K.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ium=social
Big George

Postby bunk on Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:50 pm

Tongue & Brisket, Soho - Visit for lunch today, went for the meal deal but in reality i should have just stuck with the standard sandwich. The chips weren't great, pretty bland and tasteless and didn't really have a place by the sandwich. Lesson learnt.

The sandwich itself was good, the meat nice and juicy, the pickled cucumber and mustard adding some lovely flavour, the bread nice and fresh. The let down was the size of it, it could have been a little larger. In total £8 for the meal, next time will just stick with the sandwich. 6/10.
bunk

Postby Burningaham on Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:58 am

Boom & brass in Budapest.

Hungarian meat skewer was excellent. 8.5/10
Burningaham

Postby bubbles1966 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:54 pm

Butler's Retreat, Chingford

Spot of light lunch yesterday. Very nice place to sit outside on a sunny day on the edge of the forest.

HRH had Kent Lamb Kebabs, which she liked. I had a chicken burger that was spoiled a bit by an 'artisan' bun - too much like a brick doorstep smothered in flour. Fentiman's for alcohol/soft drink.

Would go again, but choose differently from the menu.
bubbles1966

Postby Big George on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:21 pm

Kennington Tandoori on Kennington Road after the cricket yesterday. A real pleasant surprise, well above the usual curry house standards. Delicate but spicy fish curry and a top notch dhal. a strong 8.5
Big George

Postby prophet:marginal on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:07 am

Madame D - Commercial Street E1

New Nepalese curry place, where the early arrival queues for a table.

Well worth doing so. Only a short menu of sharing plates, but the quality was fantastic.

Had Himalayan chicken, 'homemade' chilli crackers, with dips, paneer in a double chilli sauce, perfect rice and a couple of veggie dishes.

Polished off with a pint or two of pale ale.

Just shy of £60 for the pair of us together. Great service and even better food.

8.5/10.

Postby E7Iron on Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:36 am

Vince wrote:Pampas Steakhouse - Argentinian style cuisine in Alpharetta, GA.
Been here a few times, ZAGAT which a guide to all the top restaurants voted it the best Steakhouse in the States in 2014.
Starters had Beef Carpaccio with some great parmesan,capers, lemon,olive oil and arugula.
Main course had a rack of lamb, garlic mashed potatoes, creamy spinach and some wild mushrooms.
Rest of the people we were with had a mixture of steaks, mainly filets. Their specialty is the 'Brick' 14oz center cut filet.
Couple we was with our well into their wine and brought a couple of bottles of red's, both different, from a winery called Saxum in Paso Robles, CA. Never heard of it before, but they were superb.
Great food and drink. 9/10.

I'm in Atlanta quite a bit with our head office being up near Dunwoody opposite the Perimeter Mall. Have you tried the McKendrick's Steak House? US Coworkers bang on about it just wondering if it's any good.
E7Iron

Postby Denzil on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:32 am

prophet:marginal wrote:Madame D - Commercial Street E1

New Nepalese curry place, where the early arrival queues for a table.

Well worth doing so. Only a short menu of sharing plates, but the quality was fantastic.

Had Himalayan chicken, 'homemade' chilli crackers, with dips, paneer in a double chilli sauce, perfect rice and a couple of veggie dishes.

Polished off with a pint or two of pale ale.

Just shy of £60 for the pair of us together. Great service and even better food.

8.5/10.

This is the new restaurant from the owners of Gunpowder, which is an exceptional restaurant. Very keen to try this place out. Am I right in saying it's evenings only?
Denzil

Postby prophet:marginal on Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:58 pm

Yes, Denzil, tables from 1800.

If you stood outside Gunpowder, you can see the new place across the road to your right.

I've not been in the first place, but am already planning a return to Madame D! Top stuff, from the crackers onwards.

Postby Nesticles on Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:21 pm

Quite a big statement, but yesterday I had the best bit of grub I've had in London in bloody years

Blacklock. Soho
http://theblacklock.com/

7 of us. We went for the 'all in'. A small portion of starters, followed by some beautifully cooked meats. An assortment of different cuts of Beef, Lamb and Pork. All served on top of a lovely flatbread which had soaked up all the resting juices from the meats. With a side of beef dripping chips (the best chips I have ever had).

Washed down with a few pints of their own home brew draught beer which was really nice and easy to drink

£35 each per head. Would highly recommend, will certainly be going back again in the near future.
Nesticles

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug