What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby Denzil on Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:58 pm

Nesticles wrote:Quite a big statement, but yesterday I had the best bit of grub I've had in London in bloody years

Blacklock. Soho
http://theblacklock.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

7 of us. We went for the 'all in'. A small portion of starters, followed by some beautifully cooked meats. An assortment of different cuts of Beef, Lamb and Pork. All served on top of a lovely flatbread which had soaked up all the resting juices from the meats. With a side of beef dripping chips (the best chips I have ever had).

Washed down with a few pints of their own home brew draught beer which was really nice and easy to drink

£35 each per head. Would highly recommend, will certainly be going back again in the near future.

They've recently opened one up on Philpot Lane near Fenchurch Street which I've been to twice. Had the All in once and ordered some bigger cuts off of the chalk board the next time I went (Barnsley and Prime Rib). Service is probably the best in the city and they do fiver cocktails which always works!

9/10
Denzil

Postby Francoisvander or else on Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:03 pm

Galvin at Windows, Hilton Park Lane. Absolutely superb the best £300 ever spent on a meal (well it was our 25 the wedding anniversary). The chef is from Korea so lots of Britishness yes with subtle asian flavours. Wine was pricey and £10 for a bottle of bear but we did get a free cake to help us celebrate :lol:
Francoisvander or else

Postby Centre Half on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:24 am

Nesticles wrote:Quite a big statement, but yesterday I had the best bit of grub I've had in London in bloody years

Blacklock. Soho
http://theblacklock.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

7 of us. We went for the 'all in'. A small portion of starters, followed by some beautifully cooked meats. An assortment of different cuts of Beef, Lamb and Pork. All served on top of a lovely flatbread which had soaked up all the resting juices from the meats. With a side of beef dripping chips (the best chips I have ever had).

Washed down with a few pints of their own home brew draught beer which was really nice and easy to drink

£35 each per head. Would highly recommend, will certainly be going back again in the near future.

Yeah Blacklock is brilliant.

Also think the all in is exceptionally good value for what you get and where it is in London.

When me as the mrs went we both had the 'all in', she had two of the £5 cocktails and I had a couple of the beers and it came to just over half of what our total bill for Temper was

Made Temper look bang average in my opinion
Centre Half

Postby Centre Half on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:31 am

Wood Oven, South Woodford 9/10

What's not to like £28 quid for the Wood Oven special to share.

Chicken Wings
Lamb Ribs
Lamb Chops
Lamb Kofta
Chicken Shish
Chillis and tonnes of rice and salad

Fantastic flavours on all the meat from the charcoal grill, bring your own Booze as well
Centre Half

Postby Big George on Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:37 pm

Grand Trunk Road, South Woodford.

Posh curry from the chef and manager that used to run Tamrind in Mayfair.

Just brilliant food, the dhal itself was worth he visit. Prices were bit toppy, especially on the drinks but a fantastic night out on my doorstep.
Big George

Postby WoodfordJnr on Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:45 pm

Blacklock. Soho
http://theblacklock.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Going to give this a go in a couple of weeks,

Heard a lot of good things about this ..

Went Roka canary wharf brunch again this saturday. 8/10 ... dont remember the actual food but unlimited wine went down like a dream
WoodfordJnr

Postby Big George on Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:12 pm

WoodfordJnr wrote:
Going to give this a go in a couple of weeks,

Heard a lot of good things about this ..

Went Roka canary wharf brunch again this saturday. 8/10 ... dont remember the actual food but unlimited wine went down like a dream

Blacklock is very good, perfect place for a mates night, food and experience is better at Temper but cost twice the £££
Big George

Postby fjthegrey on Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:40 pm

Got an 8:30 reservation at Dorsia.

I intend to have the Sea Urchin Ceviche.
fjthegrey

Postby bunk on Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:34 pm

Got a little hungry during a wander on Sunday, trying to get over a hanogver.

Persepolis, Peckham - Essentially a Persian corner shop, cafe and takeaway. Have wanted to see what it's like for a while, so grabbed a quick bite to assess the food. Got myself a wrap, filled with egg, olives, salad and spices. It was very tasty I must say; fresh, flavoursome, the perfect meal to start the day really. Next time will actually have a lunch there to get through a bit more of the menu. 7.5/10.

FM Mangal, Camberwell - Apparently one of the best Turkish restuarants in South London, walked over from Persepolis as i was still pretty hungry. Seeing as i'd eaten probably less than an hour before, i chose the £5 lunch deal, a yaprak doner (i think). Essentially a marinated lamb steak kebab with vegetables in a wrap. Sober kebabs normally fill me with a sense of shame but this was very tasty. Like Persepolis, will have to actually have a sit down meal there to really experience it. Good to see the place living up to it's reputation. 7.5/10.
bunk

Postby WoodfordJnr on Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:04 am

Big George wrote:Blacklock is very good, perfect place for a mates night, food and experience is better at Temper but cost twice the £££

Just checked out Temper, looks lovely, will definitely give this a try over the coming months.

Have just seen they are opening a City venue ? This would be perfect.
WoodfordJnr

Postby Centre Half on Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:13 am

WoodfordJnr wrote:
Just checked out Temper, looks lovely, will definitely give this a try over the coming months.

Have just seen they are opening a City venue ? This would be perfect.

As I said in my post earlier, I actually prefer Blacklock to Temper food wise as well.

I thought the meat was a lot more flavoursome and the flat breads the meat is served on is also better than Temper.

I think the novelty of Temper is being able to sit around the smoke pit but I definitely won't be rushing back whereas I'm looking forward to heading blacklock again at some point

I do like my meaty restaurants though, want to head to Tandoor Chop House next, heard it's toppy so it might have to be pay day treat!
Centre Half

Postby WoodfordJnr on Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:18 am

WoodfordJnr

Postby bunk on Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:14 pm

Roosters, Peckham - A sort of halfway point in amongst a thirsty Thursday. The staff were friendly enough but the interior certainly could do with a refurb. The Tower Burger Meal was ordered; a chicken burger with cheese and a hash brown, chips and a drink. 4 hot wings were also added.

The chips were cooked to order, the hot wings pretty small but tasty. The burger i must say was decent, one of the best low-end chicken shop ones i've had in long time. Washed down with an orange Mirinda, which to be fair was room temperature. It's **** food, but it was tasty and for £5, made me happy. 7/10.
bunk

Postby prophet:marginal on Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:05 pm

bunk wrote:Got a little hungry during a wander on Sunday, trying to get over a hanogver.

Persepolis, Peckham - Essentially a Persian corner shop, cafe and takeaway. Have wanted to see what it's like for a while, so grabbed a quick bite to assess the food. Got myself a wrap, filled with egg, olives, salad and spices. It was very tasty I must say; fresh, flavoursome, the perfect meal to start the day really. Next time will actually have a lunch there to get through a bit more of the menu. 7.5/10.

FM Mangal, Camberwell - Apparently one of the best Turkish restuarants in South London, walked over from Persepolis as i was still pretty hungry. Seeing as i'd eaten probably less than an hour before, i chose the £5 lunch deal, a yaprak doner (i think). Essentially a marinated lamb steak kebab with vegetables in a wrap. Sober kebabs normally fill me with a sense of shame but this was very tasty. Like Persepolis, will have to actually have a sit down meal there to really experience it. Good to see the place living up to it's reputation. 7.5/10.

If ever in Camberwell gain, Bunk, treat yourself to a visit to Falafel across the road from FM Mangal (a little closer down towards The Green). Cheap as chips and very good quality stuff.

However, I can't sign off without remarking on your two stop shop, though.

The (northern) Mrs p:m has an appropriate expression: You fat bap!
prophet:marginal

Postby bunk on Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:03 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:If ever in Camberwell gain, Bunk, treat yourself to a visit to Falafel across the road from FM Mangal (a little closer down towards The Green). Cheap as chips and very good quality stuff.

However, I can't sign off without remarking on your two stop shop, though.

The (northern) Mrs p:m has an appropriate expression: You fat bap!

I live in Elephant and Castle so sort of walking distance of there, I'll have to wander down that way again to visit the place. As for the fat bap remark, I'm in some form of agreement, I think I'm genuinly a fat b*stard at heart. I'm lucky in that I can eat a lot and not really put on weight, one of those annoying ****ers. Truthfully I've got the mind of little tubby child heading to Maccies. Anyway tonight...

Shoryu Ramen, Regent Street - Little Japanese place serving broth sort of stuff. Absolutely pouring it down outside so was nice to get into a bit of dry. 2 bottles of Hitachino Nest were quite nice, something like 7.3%, which after having a few sips I was suprised by, it wasn't the best beer in the world but it was alright and didn't taste necessarily 'strong'. A shared started consisted of chicken karaage, prawn tempura and some cold brocolli. Both the chicken and prawns were lovely, the brocolli was cold and unnecessary.

The main of Kotteri Hakata Tonkotsu, was pretty average. I'm not the biggest fan of soups, broths, phos'. The eggs were nice, the odd hints of spring onion with the sauce also tasteful. But in general, it just felt a bit bland. I loaded it up with soy and chilli sauce to get some more flavour but to no avail. It was forever to my palate, pretty average and bland. 6.5/10.
bunk

Postby BalaamBoy on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:47 am

SatBains Restaurant with Rooms, Nottingham

I chose the seven course meal at £95 rather than the ten course at £110, as I didn’t wish to appear greedy. The menu changes with alarming frequency, so all I have is my memory, and the rather terse notes made on my iPhone at the time.

The first course was Pumpkin Soup – just a ladel of creamy sweet soup in an earthenware bowl, well-seasoned, and with what I thought was cheese or parmesan as a thickening agent. This was served with the house sourdough and black treacle bread with cultured butter, which was absolutely wonderful.

Next there was an additional course, served upon request as a result of Sat’s winning performance in the Great British Menu. Duck Egg 62 (so called because it is cooked at 62°C – which as we know from Harold McGee is the temperature at which the egg cooks, the white will set, but the yoke will always remain runny) which was served with peas pancetta and an ice cream of pea and mint. I’m not a big fan of mint, but this was subtle enough to provide freshness and cooling, without tasting like sweets or toothpaste. It was a fabulous mixture of hot and cold, and quite frankly it would have been churlish to reject the waiter’s suggestion to try it.

Next came the official second course, seared scallop, served on a salty blackened charcoal mayonnaise, with onions and a dash of green oil, possibly spinach or moss. It was superb, summed up rather effectively by my note on my phone at the time – wow!!

Third course, and I’m just warming up now, was helped by a generous glass of rather fresh and sharp chilled Spanish white wine. This time I received another bowl containing chicken muesli (fried, crispy chicken skin), apricot puree, beans, and what I described at the time as something cold and creamy. Sat’s signature is starting to emerge -2-3 ingredients max, and a juxtaposition of hot and cold, or sweet and salty, or sharp and umami.

Fourth course, aged pepper steak tartare, with smoked carrots, a mushroom ketchup, a light potato lattice and some smoked mayonnaise. So bang goes my 2-3 ingredient premise.

Fifth was turnip tagliatelle, served with a pesto made at the table by my waitress using the basil and chervil from the garden, gooseberry pickle and olive oil. This was ever so slightly salty, but an excellent combination which merely prompted me to indulge in a second glass of that Spanish white.

Sixth one up, and still not flagging in the slightest, in fact I’m getting into my stride. This one was ostensibly the main course, although in all cases the portions are elegantly proportioned (small) so one is never over-faced. Duck breast marinated in soy sauce and five spice, and chocolate reduction, served with quince jelly, duck faggot, pickled beetroot and walnut. My phone notes now appeared to have been reduced to merely sounds, in this case ‘mmmmm’.

Seventh course (or eighth if you include the egg) was a rather bizarre ‘cross-over’ dish of savoury miso-caramel fudge with passionfruit, served with lime ice cream cubes wrapped in fennel candy floss; bizarre in mixture only, wonderful in taste.

Ninth course (I’m counting the egg), was also somewhat challenging as it contained a mystery ingredient, which diners were encouraged to guess. It was an aerated chocolate with cherries. I thought the taste of the chocolate was pungent, with a chili-like heat and a smokey, phenolic, sweet woody and amber aftertaste. I didn’t guess that the mystery ingredient was tobacco – one of the ladies on the table alongside me did, however, and was quite pleased with herself.

Desert was the tenth dish served, remembering of course that I had only paid for the seven course taster memo! Aptly named as NOT Tarte Tatin, this was caramelized apple, served with caramel, ice cream and a granite of grenadine – bloody lovely it was too.

Lastly, I enjoyed a selection of chocolates, presented as flat, or slightly textured sheets, and coffee.

What can I say? Probably the best meal I have ever eaten.

Marks out of ten? Any less then eleven would be criminal.
BalaamBoy

Postby Phil S on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:25 pm

Was in here on Friday night

enjoyed it, good food and well priced

8/10

http://www.mudmee.co.uk/
Phil S

Postby LincolnshireHammer on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:54 am

Anyone been to Gaucho in Broadgate? What's it like? Got a team lunch here on Monday.
LincolnshireHammer

Postby Estuary on Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:06 pm

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Anyone been to Gaucho in Broadgate? What's it like? Got a team lunch here on Monday.

Not that location, but I have been to the O2 restaurant for pre-show dinner a few times, not sure the a la carte menu is available lunch times. But I liked it, great steak, one of our party is a chef and commented on the quality of the meat, a jolly decent wine list, it is pricey but if your firm is paying, hey ho!!
Estuary

Postby bubbles1966 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:19 pm

Ibleo in Chingford the other day.

Pleasant enough - a couple of sizeable pizzas at £8.50 each with Moretti and large red wine. Under £30, pre-service.

Not bad at all. 6.5/10
bubbles1966

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug