What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby orbital on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:04 am

Harry Hound wrote:
Nice pic of the view at the duck and waffle, I guess most on here have heard of Mia Khalifa 8-)

Not too familiar with her, however might have to view one of her 'Movies' now!
orbital

Postby WHU Independent on Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:59 pm

WHU Independent wrote:Wahacca. Canary Wharf.

Wahaca seems like a pretty good place to go for a variety of vegan/non-vegan options. Any other similar recommendations for a place with good variety ideally close to Central London?

Yes mate. The Temple of Seitan have just opened up a new joint at Old Street (I may be paying it a visit tonight!), The Gallery Cafe, Old Ford Road Bethnal Green is decent if a bit pricey as is The Cherry which is in Globe Road, just down from the Florists Pub. Wahaca have branches in central London as well, I've done the one at Covent Garden and it's very decent.

You've also got Mildred s near Kings Cross and Soho, Mana at Primrose hill and Covent Garden is a haven for vegan/veggies with The Wild Food Cafe, plus loads more and Dosa near Goodge Street is excellent if you want good and unusual Indan food.
WHU Independent

Postby WHU Independent on Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:41 pm

The Poplar Cafe, Poplar High Street, Poplar E14.

One of the best cafe's I've been in. I used to be a regular (at least 5 days a week) but now I go there once and a while. Today was for Father's Day with the old man and my sister. He had a lamb roast and there was so much lamb, about 8 big slices plus loads plus roasties, two batter puds and veg. He said the lamb was perfect and it pained him to leave some as there was just too much. My sis had a lasagne, salad and chips, which again was a massive portion. She said it was lovely. I had a vegan fry up, which really filled a hole after being on the beer the night before and not eating anything. There was so much had to leave some, which is unusual for me 9/10
WHU Independent

Postby sendô on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:55 am

fmgod wrote:Can anyone suggest a sort of British restaurant in the sort of Smiths Wapping vibe, it's a gift for my father, so nothing too trendy and loud or ideas like foams and emulsions, etc just good normal food

Yes, Smiths of Ongar.
sendô

Postby fmgod on Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:14 pm

Yeah going to book that next time, I want to give them a gift, the reviews aren't as good as the Wapping one but still pretty decent.
fmgod

Postby Estuary on Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:40 pm

fmgod wrote:Yeah going to book that next time, I want to give them a gift, the reviews aren't as good as the Wapping one but still pretty decent.

I was there the weekend before last, your folks wont be disappointed.
Estuary

Postby djclipz on Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:26 pm

Harry Hound wrote:Image

Nice pic of the view at the duck and waffle, I guess most on here have heard of Mia Khalifa 8-)

Good to see no kind of dress code in the Duck & Waffle...
djclipz

Postby fmgod on Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:14 pm

Wonder what form of payment they took.

Cheers Estuary :thup:
fmgod

Postby Concerned of Canvey on Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:49 pm

The Ned once again for the Sunday Buffet in Millie's after watching England game in a pub just off Cheapside.

Think its about £45, good quality mainly seafood starters,Lobster/Prawns/Oyster, etc., choice of 3 roasts or all there if you can manage it.

Excellent band playing throughout, very nice way to spend a warm Sunday. 8.5/10
Concerned of Canvey

Postby Denzil on Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:23 pm

Dim T - Tower Bridge 2/10

My review below rather than writing on here. My review on here is "Almost annoyed I had to pay for this"

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d807601-Reviews-Dim_T_London_Bridge-London_England.html
Denzil

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:49 pm

Going to some Worral Thompson place in Windsor, that I'm sure will be sh*t. But some bigwigs are over from 'murica, so I have to make an effort and go. At least I'm not paying and is mercifully early, so I should still be home by 9 or so. I'll post my review later.
DasNutNock

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:00 pm

Yup, it was ****.
DasNutNock

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:40 pm

Just spent the last 30 minutes pissing out of my arse. Cheers, Anthony, you cheese-thieving c*nt.
DasNutNock

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:28 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Just spent the last 30 minutes pissing out of my arse. Cheers, Anthony, you cheese-thieving c*nt.

:lol:
Cockneyboy311

Postby chigwells finest on Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:48 pm

="sendô"]
fmgod wrote:Can anyone suggest a sort of British restaurant in the sort of Smiths Wapping vibe, it's a gift for my father, so nothing too trendy and loud or ideas like foams and emulsions, etc just good normal food

Yes, Smiths of Ongar.[/quot

didnt like the Ongar restaurant , mainly for the clientele
chigwells finest

Postby Denzil on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:28 am

Wright Brothers, Borough Market for lunch yesterday for five of us

Various styles of oysters, mackerel pate, posh rollmops & pint of prawns to start. Brill, Skate, Cod & whitebait with new potatoes and greens to share for main. All very fresh, very nice and a busy but inviting restaurant with an open kitchen. Nice bottle of white to wash it down. Service excellent.

8/10
Denzil

Postby ironstu on Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:27 pm

The Fat Turk, Brentwood.

Decent grub but is basically overpriced Turkish food. The food is better at less glamorous Turkish restaurants such as Menad in Billericay, Aspera in Benfleet, Bogaz in Rayleigh. The Fat Turk is better a special occasion, nice bar area upstairs but if you're looking for a reasonably priced feed, stay away.

6.5/10
ironstu

Postby WHU Independent on Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:40 pm

Husk, Commercial Rd, Limehouse E14 - A creative open space, which sells lovely coffee and food, if slightly overpriced. Almond milk Latte and avocado toast about £7.00 total, but they were both very good.

Aberfeldy Cafe, Aberfeldy Street, Poplar E14 A simple, no nonsense Cafe, basic menu, mainly fry up's. Chips, Fried Tomes, Beans and mushrooms plus a cup of tea for a £5 - with big portions to boot. It's also a WHU cafe with some shirts and other paraphernalia on display. Worth a visit if you are in the manor.
WHU Independent

Postby FreeWheeling on Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:55 pm

Jenny's Cafe, Salisbury
Went for the Chef's Special Breakfast
had better in an Army cookhouse

3/10
FreeWheeling

Postby WHU Independent on Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:28 pm

I was on the beer sat night and woke up late PM hungry. Only dirty food would do so I decided to visit Mooshies, a vegan burger bar @104 Brick Lane, Aldgate E1.

My first impressions weren't good. A crap ordering/seating system - wait 5 mins to be seated, get lobbed a menu and then get told that when I had made my mind up I had to go to the end of the place to order at the bar. Just why? - and then the said menu has only four options of burger on it. I opted for the Jackfruit burger, - burger, pickles, coleslaw, toms etc - French fries and a cream soda. £13.50 which I thought was steep.

I was dead thirsty so I opened and started to drink the cream soda. Now I haven't had cream soda for years and I was really looking forward to drinking it. I took one gulp and was nearly sick. It tasted like someone had taken a pink pvc raincoat, melted all the plastic off and bottled it. It also smelled of plastic. I would go so far as say it was in the top 5 worst drinks I've ever experienced.

After a bit of a wait, the burger and chips turned up. The burger was big, the bun was really lovely, not one of these white, overly flowery, tasteless buns you get in burger chain, but a whole meal, cooked bun with a glaze on the top that had a lovely taste of its own.

I've never had Jackfruit before - that's why I ordered it! - and it was very decent. Not the "just like meat" fruit it was supposed to be, but succulent, slightly spicy with a pleasant after taste and it went well with the home made 'slaw, which I must add was up there in the top 3 'slaws I've ever had. They obviously had vegan mayo and Tom sauce which was tops as the French fries were cooked to perfection - just how I like them, dark, crispy with a soft centre.

The place has a laid back, almost Caribbean vibe, with drawings on the wall depicting scenes of palm trees and lush forests. The music was excellent mainly consisting of 70/80's reggae - think Jimmy Cliff, Bob Marley, John Holt, Peter Tosh etc - and that gave the place a nice ambience. The waitresses were polite, very helpful and friendly, but they has trouble understanding English and were a tad slow and somewhat ineffectual. They sell booze and wine but no tea or coffee which was a shame as I can kill a cup of tea after a burger. Oh and they have 1st class air conditioning - it was the dogs.

All in all a mixed bag. Reasonable food, over priced, friendly but slow service, great music and atmosphere and you can watch the world go by Brick Lane as you eat. I'd go back but not regularly - and not after I have found out Piadena Genuine is reopening as Anthony's Vegan Italian Kitchen in Bethnal Green Road very soon!
WHU Independent

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug