What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby djclipz on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:04 am

sendô wrote:It takes a special talent to **** up Bolognese, Carbonara and a pizza.

There is a lot of people with 'special talent'.

The 1 chain I enjoy is Jamie's Italian, inflated prices... yes but you regularly get free food or money off with the card scheme so for lunch it's not a bad option. Plus I like Gennaro Contaldo.

DasNutNock wrote:We also now have a Cote

Always average.
djclipz

Postby WoodfordJnr on Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:11 pm

Il Bordello in Wapping 10/10 ... food was unreal and wasn't expensive .. Proper Italian.
WoodfordJnr

Postby webby the iron on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:51 pm

To be fair I don't mind Prezzo or Pizza Express- consistent and I always enjoy it. Must qualify that though and say I only really go there using a Tastecard. On the occasions I go there when you can't use it I do feel like I've overpaid.
webby the iron

Postby Romford on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:06 pm

WoodfordJnr wrote:Il Bordello in Wapping 10/10 ... food was unreal and wasn't expensive .. Proper Italian.

Had a few good reports about this gaff
Romford
Big X

Postby Arch Dandy on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:48 am

Due Fratelli in Hornchurch, bang average as it was last time I went, one meal went back and it's expensive.

Zizzis is better, 5/10.
Arch Dandy

Postby whuben on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:53 am

WoodfordJnr wrote:Il Bordello in Wapping 10/10 ... food was unreal and wasn't expensive .. Proper Italian.

Love this gaff. Always a decent night out in there
whuben

Postby whuben on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:55 am

Arch Dandy wrote:Due Fratelli in Hornchurch, bang average as it was last time I went, one meal went back and it's expensive.

Zizzis is better, 5/10.

Used to be decent a few years back but the last 2 visits ive had here were very average to say the least. Wont be going back there in a hurry.

Tarrentinos is better IMHO
whuben

Postby sendô on Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:39 am

Changed owners I believe. Used to be good but has gone down hill.

Last time I went there I asked for Lasagne and they brought up a calzone.
sendô

Postby WoodfordJnr on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:04 am

Romford wrote:Had a few good reports about this gaff

Really recommend it mate its the b*llocks
WoodfordJnr

Postby Concerned of Canvey on Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:13 pm

Romford wrote:Had a few good reports about this gaff

Thirded, Il Bordello is a really good authentic Italian. Highly recommended.
Concerned of Canvey

Postby Denzil on Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:31 pm

Il Bordello is the one! Best Italian round.

However, be prepared to a) not eat for days after. Portions are huge (why i like it even more). b) stink of garlic for days after.
Denzil

Postby The Big Show on Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:29 pm

Il Bordello is my favourite restaurant ever. The crab ravioli is stunning. Surrounded by great boozers. Even sat next to James Tomkins in there once. Tables are very close together so don't reveal your inner most secrets. Been going for years, some of the waiters have been working there for the best part of 15 years. 11/10
The Big Show

Postby RichieRiv on Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:13 pm

Most black cabbies will tell you it's the best Italian in London.
RichieRiv

Postby WHU Independent on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:23 pm

Sorry to disagree but Il Bordello, although a top place to eat, is IMHO not my no1.

The tables are wayyy to close together and you are squeezed in like sardines, it's really loud, you can't have a decent conversation and you certainly can't have a flirty/personal chat. I dislike rubbing elbows with a stranger and hearing anything and everything they have to say. I also find the service is a bit hit and miss and the food there is to oily for my tastes - I've had the trotts soon after leaving this place on my last two visits.

You may want to travel down to Limehouse and visit it's sister restaurant (owned by the same guy as Il Bordello) called La Figa (italian slang for the C@@t) which has much better seating, larger portions and not so oily food. Service is top notch too.

That said, my No 1 italian is Amerigo Verspucci in Canary Wharf. It's just perfect - top service, amazing food, and you can order off menu or adapt any meal on the menu to suit your needs. Phenomenal value for money too, if you keep off the booze.
WHU Independent

Postby Nesticles on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:53 pm

I'm off to Ally Pally for a gig tomorrow night gents

Any recommendation for a spot to grab some grub and a few beers before please? Few tube stops away would be fine. Was thinking about checking out Black Axe Mangal in Highbury and Islington.
Nesticles

Postby MikeNewell'sOldBoys on Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:44 pm

If you like Korean/Japanese food try and book a table at Dotori right next to Finsbury Park. Usually comes out at about £20 a head with 1 alcoholic drink and too much food to eat. Always full though so you need to book or go very early.

There's also Gokyuzu down Green Lanes (closest station Harringay Rail Station). It's the best Turkish restaurant down the most Turkish area in London. Free fresh bread, dips, salad and huge portion mains. Can eat well for around £12-15

EDIT. Just realised I'm a little late with advice!
MikeNewell'sOldBoys

Postby vietnammer on Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:26 pm

QashQai (Persian) Sheffield. Actually been here dozens of times. Very basic decor 'unflash' and friendly. All attention is on the grub, which is superb.

10/10
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby simon1982 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:28 pm

WHU Independent wrote:Sorry to disagree but Il Bordello, although a top place to eat, is IMHO not my no1.

The tables are wayyy to close together and you are squeezed in like sardines, it's really loud, you can't have a decent conversation and you certainly can't have a flirty/personal chat. I dislike rubbing elbows with a stranger and hearing anything and everything they have to say. I also find the service is a bit hit and miss and the food there is to oily for my tastes - I've had the trotts soon after leaving this place on my last two visits.

You may want to travel down to Limehouse and visit it's sister restaurant (owned by the same guy as Il Bordello) called La Figa (italian slang for the C@@t) which has much better seating, larger portions and not so oily food. Service is top notch too.

That said, my No 1 italian is Amerigo Verspucci in Canary Wharf. It's just perfect - top service, amazing food, and you can order off menu or adapt any meal on the menu to suit your needs. Phenomenal value for money too, if you keep off the booze.

Was in la figa last Saturday, always have a good meal at a very reasonable price. Il bordello is also good but like others have said the tables are way to close. My wife slipped and fell over in there a few years back taking several tables with her. Funny!
simon1982

Postby chigwells finest on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:04 pm

The Big Show wrote:Il Bordello is my favourite restaurant ever. The crab ravioli is stunning. Surrounded by great boozers. Even sat next to James Tomkins in there once. Tables are very close together so don't reveal your inner most secrets. Been going for years, some of the waiters have been working there for the best part of 15 years. 11/10

they're still wearing the same waistcoats too , the food is still great , but it needs a revamp as its looking a bit dated imo
chigwells finest

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:38 pm

Aspera Turkish restaurant, London rd. Benfleet

Had garlic mushrooms in mozzarella follwed by a mixed grill of all things shish.

Bit noisy, but it was full and a saturday night, but the food was lovely.
9/10 :thup:
westham,eggyandchips

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug