What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby Nesticles on Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:43 am

Vince wrote:I know numb nuts, gave you a bunch of recommendations andd you didn't go to any of them, winky smiley thing.....

:lol:
Nesticles

Postby Chinners92 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:51 pm

Denzil wrote:I know it's been discussed here already, but another thumbs up for Smokestak.

I'd say we had four beers each, so all of that and the beers came to £220, so about £45 a head. A little punchy for BBQ food, considering the beers are stumpies too.

Thinking about going soon. Does that include a service charge? So frustrating when restaurants try to dictate the tip when the service is average
Chinners92

Postby southendmadhammer on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:44 am

House of Ho -
Rathbone Place in town.

Duck Pho Bun, Crispy Chicken, Smoked ribs, noodles, chicken dumplings and a couple of Singha's. £35 per head. Smart place and excellent quality.

9/10
southendmadhammer

Postby bunk on Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:32 pm

Paesano, Glasgow - Very good value for money pizza and clearly doing a thriving trade. Bottle of Messina beer was okay, nothing special. Tried to have olives and then burrata with cherry tomatoes as a starter, though everything was pretty much delivered at the same time. The olives were okay, the burrata very nice. The main pizza of fennel sausage was good too and well sized. Totalled £20 with tip. 7/10.

The Kirkmichael Arms, Kirkmichael - A bit of a detour whilst driving back up to Glasgow in the Scottish countryside and one well worth it. It was pretty quiet, it being a Thursday afternoon with the weather being awful due to that storm. Fried goats cheese to start, which was very tasty. The main of braised shoulder of lamb with root vegetables and cauliflower puree was nothing short of excellent, best main course I've had in quite some time. Credit to the chefs, it was sublime. Friendly service from the waitress too. With a pint of Guinness and a coffee to go totalled £25. Would run back if I'm ever in the area again. 9/10
bunk

Postby Big George on Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:02 pm

Franks - Great Titichfield Street W1

When I used to work as a messenger in the City/West End in the 80s every street had about half a dozen Italian cafe/sandwich bars selling rocket fuel coffee and freshly made sandwiches. This is one of the last, lovely Chicken, Bacon and Avocado ciabatta and a soft drink, £4. Goes there before it's lost to a bloody subway or something.
Big George

Postby nickkarkie on Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:41 pm

I tried out Smokestak today as I'm thinking of bringing the smoking concept to one of my takeaway outlets. It was very hit and miss for me.

Great concept with reclaimed furniture interior and all dark and industrial with central kitchen, big smoker on show. What surprised me was that no food was smoking like they do in America, they serve straight from their smokers, this was all cooked either from cold or held in a CVAP (a hot holding cabinet that has steam).

We had breaded oxcheek and pig jowl for starters. Oxcheek was quite tasty but had a weird bbq sauce with the meat in the middle. The pig jowl had a very strong taste and to me was disgusting but my friend thought it was OK.

For main we order pastrami, brisket roll, pork Ribs and beef Ribs. The pastrami was quite poor, didn't have much salt or pepper taste as it should, was quite bland and also quite dry. The brisket roll was sensational, melt in your mouth and beautifully smoked, the brioche roll so light. The pork Ribs were very good, lovely and tender and fat on them also tasty. The beef Ribs were so so, tender in parts but very chewy in a lot of it.

Sticky toffee pudding for dessert was delicious.

The toilets are so weird, all rusty old parts and pipes haha.

8/10 (mainly for the brisket roll or I would have scored it a 6)
nickkarkie

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:48 pm

nickkarkie wrote:I tried out Smokestak today as I'm thinking of bringing the smoking concept to one of my takeaway outlets. It was very hit and miss for me.

Nice to see you checking out the competition Nick. I'll be back to your place soon. My dinner was excellent last time :thup:
Cockneyboy311

Postby Chinners92 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:07 pm

The Rum Kitchen, Kingley Court, Soho

If you haven't been to Kingley Court before, check it out next time you're in the Soho/Oxford Circus area. An indoor square with lots of bars and restaurants all lit up - females love it.

First time I'd been to the Rum Kitchen which is a Jamaican restaurant. We had 2 happy hour cocktails each and shared a large jerk chicken dish, chicken wings and plantain (a more savoury banana) which was enough for 2.

The Jerk Chicken with rice and coleslaw was really good, easily the best dish, the interior was colourful and wooden. Cocktails average.

Interior, food, service and ambience all decent. Cocktails could've been better.

7/10
Chinners92

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:18 pm

Big George wrote:Franks - Great Titichfield Street W1

When I used to work as a messenger in the City/West End in the 80s every street had about half a dozen Italian cafe/sandwich bars selling rocket fuel coffee and freshly made sandwiches. This is one of the last, lovely Chicken, Bacon and Avocado ciabatta and a soft drink, £4. Goes there before it's lost to a bloody subway or something.

Just adding to this theme...

Casella, 8 Salisbury Ct, London EC4Y 8AA

Old skool Portuguese owned sandwich shop. As well as freshly made sandwiches they have great pasta dishes and five or six daily specials which include chicken kiev, chicken with mushroom sauce, meatballs, duck risotto

Also, do a very good breakfast

For what it is, 10/10. Best sandwich shop in London IMHO
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby RichieRiv on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:52 pm

They appear to be a dying breed those family run sandwich shops, especially in the square mile. My Friday treat was Figaro's just by Moorgate Station.

Now all replaced by generic chains. A real shame.
RichieRiv

Postby nickkarkie on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:22 pm

Cockneyboy311 wrote:
Nice to see you checking out the competition Nick. I'll be back to your place soon. My dinner was excellent last time :thup:

I'm always looking around for ideas and food is my passion, I like learning from others too.

I've sold the restaurant and it should officially go through in about 3 weeks I think but it will still be run the same as my front of house manager is buying it. I've been offered a shop in Loughton but I don't know if I want to move over that way so in the meantime I will be doing up my shop in Chafford Hundred and maybe adding the smoking concept to one of them.
nickkarkie

Postby Romford on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:03 pm

RichieRiv wrote:They appear to be a dying breed those family run sandwich shops, especially in the square mile. My Friday treat was Figaro's just by Moorgate Station.

Now all replaced by generic chains. A real shame.

Is Birleys still going...LOVED that place :thup:
Romford
Big X

Postby Romford on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:05 pm

nickkarkie wrote:I'm always looking around for ideas and food is my passion, I like learning from others too.

I've sold the restaurant and it should officially go through in about 3 weeks I think but it will still be run the same as my front of house manager is buying it. I've been offered a shop in Loughton but I don't know if I want to move over that way so in the meantime I will be doing up my shop in Chafford Hundred and maybe adding the smoking concept to one of them.

I wish someone would open an Argentinian Parilla in Essex :wink:
Romford
Big X

Postby nickkarkie on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:14 pm

Hi Romford, what is it that you enjoy eating from the parilla? I really fancied doing a wood burning grill that rises and falls as the do in Argentina after I saw John Torode visit a few places over there. One was called 7 Fuegos as they had 7 open fires for cooking on.
nickkarkie

Postby Mega Ron on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:28 pm

Can you open a place like Barrington's in Brentwood Nick?
Mega Ron

Postby nickkarkie on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:36 pm

I would open one in a takeaway concept or casual dining like nandos without service but I wouldn't do another restaurant as I really don't enjoy the restaurant trade. The problem is that a3/a5 premises in Brentwood are not often available, I would love to have one of the other shops on the same parade and do something like that.
nickkarkie

Postby Mega Ron on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:42 pm

That would be great.

I'm going to convince my wife to get fish and chips from your place for dinner tonight.

Post baby that's going to take some work on my part.
Mega Ron

Postby nickkarkie on Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:02 pm

Haha my wife is the opposite, never have to convince her to get food. She's lucky that she can eat more than me and not put on weight.
nickkarkie

Postby ironstu on Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:11 pm

Chinners92 wrote:The Rum Kitchen, Kingley Court, Soho

If you haven't been to Kingley Court before, check it out next time you're in the Soho/Oxford Circus area. An indoor square with lots of bars and restaurants all lit up - females love it.

First time I'd been to the Rum Kitchen which is a Jamaican restaurant. We had 2 happy hour cocktails each and shared a large jerk chicken dish, chicken wings and plantain (a more savoury banana) which was enough for 2.

The Jerk Chicken with rice and coleslaw was really good, easily the best dish, the interior was colourful and wooden. Cocktails average.

Interior, food, service and ambience all decent. Cocktails could've been better.

7/10

Couldn't agree more with the Kingly Court recommendation, went there for the first time on Wednesday night after proposing to the missus, didn't eat at The Rum Kitchen (will come on to the dinner in a sec!) but had a couple of good cocktails before heading to Cahoots. Now if you've never been to Cahoots, you need to go there, it's a 1940's themed cocktail bar which is set in the old Kingly Court underground station which was used as an air-raid shelter. Amazing service and the cocktails are among the best I've ever had, not shy on the alcohol content!

Bob Bob Ricard

Based just off of Golden Square in Soho.

Quite simply the best restaurant I've ever been to for the experience alone.

It's Russian owned and feels like you are in Moscow when inside with the decor, perfect for a big occasion or if you are planning to pop the question like I was and did before the dessert came out! I decided to go all out given what was coming and we shared Oysters for starter, tasted incredible but it was the first time I'd ever tried them so unable to compare against anything. I had Chateaubriand with truffle gravy and mash and mixed spring greens while Mrs.Ironstu (to-be) had the Crispy Pork Belly also with mash and veg. Both very very good, the crispy pork belly was impressively presented with the crackling formed in some sort of pyramid tower, the Chateaubriand perfectly cooked on the rarer side of medium-rare and the mash was to die for.

While we waited for dessert, I did the necessary and got down on one knee so it was the perfect opportunity to use the "PRESS FOR CHAMPAGNE" button which is at the side of every table and the champagne accompanied a light vodka sorbet which went down nicely. Each had one cocktail after the meal at the bar as we had to give the table back but didn't want to leave just yet.

All in all, oysters, glass of white wine, pint of lager, two mains, two desserts and two cocktails (they gave us the champagne on the house with an extra congratulatory cheesecake) came to £180.

Overall Experience 10/10

Food 8/10

Drinks 8/10

I'm not a wine drinker but the wine list is pretty impressive by all accounts. Would recommend highly for a big occasion/date or if you're a bit more well to do than I am, any night of the week!
ironstu

Postby Tenbury on Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:08 pm

Have to express an interest here,it used to be owned/run by my kids' Nonno (now by their Uncle Gianpaulo).

If you fancy a half-decent Italian in W1 try Casa Becci in Paddington St. Don't know how expensive it is(I never pay) but the food is good,and it's not some poxy chain,but a genuine, family run, old-style Italian joint,complete with requisite old Italian bloke who shuffles around grunting to himself(Nonno).
Tenbury

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug