What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby nickkarkie on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:41 pm

Mega Ron wrote:Chelo is closed isn't it?

I think so. Lots of new places opening up in Brentwood. Turkish restaurant at blockbuster site. Giggling squid, Bill's American restaurant next door to Barclays and a Costa coffee there. The Baytree centre is always having a big overhaul soon.
nickkarkie

Postby Mega Ron on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:54 pm

Hopefully some of them will be decent.

My wife and I will be making use of babysitters a lot more often once this little one gets into a decent routine.
Mega Ron

Postby nickkarkie on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:57 pm

I don't really get time to eat out much as I'm always working but I've now got 4 months off and will have to start trying out decent places
nickkarkie

Postby Big George on Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:24 pm

nickkarkie wrote:I don't really get time to eat out much as I'm always working but I've now got 4 months off and will have to start trying out decent places

I don't know how independent restaurants make any money out of it.

We have the most perfect neighbourhood Italian in South Woodford, Nino's is nearly always half empty except for weekend evenings and sunday lunch, meanwhile crappy chains nearby like Zizzi and Prezzo are rammed out from 5 in the evening, every evening

We even had a well reviewed high end restaurant "The Woodford" open which was a pretty serious place to eat. You had to book weeks in advance and was very, very good. Lasted just over a year.

It seems like you're doing well Nick but you are competing against the lousy taste of great British public
Big George

Postby nickkarkie on Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:48 pm

People go to the chains in the week George because they do lots of offers like 2 for 1 on tastecard etc, they certainly are not that busy in Rayleigh or Brentwood, most of the time they are empty. We usually average around £1000 a night on a weeknight and then on Friday you don't do much until 7pm and then you take around £3000 (turning away around 40 people from 7-9pm) from virtually 1 sitting, Saturday usually around £5k (turning away 80-100 people from 7-9pm) and Sundays have been great since we launched roast dinners and are averaging around £2.5k but the Sunday just gone we did 194 covers for £3.7k. So if I ever did a restaurant again (which I doubt) I would probably make sure it had a lot more seats to make all the money at the weekend, we are missing out on around 150 covers every week at £22 average per head.

The takeaways are much busier than the restaurant Monday to Friday but the restaurant overtakes them on Saturday and Sunday (we close on Sundays in takeaway)

I think with a lot of independent restaurants their food can be hit and miss whereas chains go for more consistency. There has definitely been a shift in the last few years and people are definitely eating out more at the independent restaurants.
nickkarkie

Postby Big George on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:25 pm

nickkarkie wrote:People go to the chains in the week George because they do lots of offers like 2 for 1 on tastecard etc, they certainly are not that busy in Rayleigh or Brentwood, most of the time they are empty. We usually average around £1000 a night on a weeknight and then on Friday you don't do much until 7pm and then you take around £3000 (turning away around 40 people from 7-9pm) from virtually 1 sitting, Saturday usually around £5k (turning away 80-100 people from 7-9pm) and Sundays have been great since we launched roast dinners and are averaging around £2.5k but the Sunday just gone we did 194 covers for £3.7k. So if I ever did a restaurant again (which I doubt) I would probably make sure it had a lot more seats to make all the money at the weekend, we are missing out on around 150 covers every week at £22 average per head.

The takeaways are much busier than the restaurant Monday to Friday but the restaurant overtakes them on Saturday and Sunday (we close on Sundays in takeaway)

I think with a lot of independent restaurants their food can be hit and miss whereas chains go for more consistency. There has definitely been a shift in the last few years and people are definitely eating out more at the independent restaurants.

Good to hear.
Big George

Postby bunk on Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:19 pm

On the subject of takeaways...

CheeMC, Elephant & Castle - Korean restaurant / takeaway that is known for it's fried chicken. The chicken I've never been sold on, espeically for the price (think it's £18.50 for 10 pieces). Today for lunch however it redeemed itself with the beef dolsot bibimbab. Essentially beef and vegetables topping rice, with a fried egg thrown in for good measure. The beef was flavoured very nicely, the vegetables tasty and the egg making it that little bit better. It could have done with some more sauce for the rice, but overall a very tasty lunch for £6.90. 7/10.
bunk

Postby Denzil on Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:14 pm

Have our monthly curry club next month, looking for some decent curry houses East London way. Done Empress and Tayyabs on the last two. Decent food and loudish is the vibe we want. Basically not an expensive upmarket gaff. Talk to me?
Denzil

Postby dal on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:31 pm

off to Broadway in the cotswolds for a couple of nights, any recommendations? thanks in advance
dal

Postby BSB1 on Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:27 am

RichieRiv wrote:They appear to be a dying breed those family run sandwich shops, especially in the square mile. My Friday treat was Figaro's just by Moorgate Station.

Now all replaced by generic chains. A real shame.

Romford wrote:Is Birleys still going...LOVED that place :thup:

Blimey, I remember Birleys.

There used to be loads of decent places up around there. Sandwich Plus was one. One of the best was Scotts which was between Fenchurch St and Leadenhall. Did the best sausage and egg sarnies ever.

I've been doing a tour of old eateries around town on various business meetings. Simpsons, Sweetings, Old Bank of England, Rules. You can forget how good simple grub can be.
BSB1

Postby whuben on Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:58 am

Bel-Sit, Woodford last night

Simply but very effective, does what it says on the tin sort of gaff

Service very good

9/10
whuben

Postby Hammer1972 on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:22 pm

dal wrote:off to Broadway in the cotswolds for a couple of nights, any recommendations? thanks in advance

We were there over new year. Didn't eat anywhere too fancy but had some lovely fish & Chips from here:

http://russellsfishandchips.co.uk/

and a decent pub meal in this place:

http://www.crownandtrumpet.co.uk/home
Hammer1972

Postby bunk on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:40 am

The Larrik, Marylebone - A sort of gastropub I guess. Was very busy and took a while to get a table though the pint, the name I've forgotten, was very good. A shared starter of salt and pepper squid was pretty tasty, along with a sort of chilly dip. The main of baby back ribs wasn't so nice, it seemed to have lingered in the kitchen for a while, along with the chips. With a bottle of the house red, which to be fair was very nice, totalled £33 with service. Good drinks, starter and service, let down by the main. 6/10.
bunk

Postby sendô on Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:10 pm

Went to Petrus in Belgravia last week. Very expensive but worth every penny. The food was excellent and the service top notch. They gave us numerous little appetizers between courses and, although the main course was small, I was full up by the time I left the restaurant (we did have 4 separate desserts mind).
sendô

Postby EvilC on Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:39 pm

Birley's coffee is outstanding.
EvilC

Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:21 pm

nickkarkie wrote:I think with a lot of independent restaurants their food can be hit and miss whereas chains go for more consistency.

Consistently crap, IMO. The "Italian" chains are a complete mystery to me. Simple food (pizza, pasta, grills etc) done really badly. That they get away with selling 2 cardboard "pizzas", a sliced tomato, and a bottle of nasty house red for £47 says a lot about the Brit public.
DasNutNock

Postby djclipz on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:32 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Consistently crap, IMO. The "Italian" chains are a complete mystery to me. Simple food (pizza, pasta, grills etc) done really badly. That they get away with selling 2 cardboard "pizzas", a sliced tomato, and a bottle of nasty house red for £47 says a lot about the Brit public.

Which is your worst?

I am pretty much down to 1 chain that I am generally happy with whenever I go, always good for a spot of lunch.
djclipz

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:38 pm

We have pizza express and prezzo here. Can't tell them apart TBH. Pizzas are bland in both, I prefer making my own. We also now have a Cote, which isn't much cop either. There's a few independent pubs that do better food of that type. The independent restaurants are all far better than the chains - curry, Thai etc - although the independent Italian place is pretty crap.

I just don't know why people waste their money on substandard food. I get that dining out is an "experience" for many, but why accept bland food at inflated prices? I bet Nick's places all piss on the local chains - he needs to be excellent to survive, unlike the chains which can get away with average and poor food & service.
DasNutNock

Postby mushy on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:24 pm

DasNutNock wrote:
I just don't know why people waste their money on substandard food. I get that dining out is an "experience" for many, but why accept bland food at inflated prices? I bet Nick's places all piss on the local chains - he needs to be excellent to survive, unlike the chains which can get away with average and poor food & service.

I get the impression that a lot of people go to places like Prezzo for a 'real Italian experience'.
They are about as authentic as all those plastic paddy pubs. Wouldnt surprise me if there wasnt a Turkish version just around the corner (perhaps there already is).
Still I cant look too far down my nose at the likes of Prezzos etc, my kids seem to like them, and as such every once in a while I have to suffer them.
'ooohh I think I'll try the calzone' ......................... yawn.
mushy

Postby sendô on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:46 am

DasNutNock wrote:We have pizza express and prezzo here.

Pizza Express is ok, child friendly, but ultimately I always seem to end up spending £60 when I go there, which is piss poor for what is a bang average pizza chain.

Prezzo, Wildwood, all the others are ****. Italian food is piss easy to make, the ingredients are basic and the food should be rich and full of flavour. It takes a special talent to **** up Bolognese, Carbonara and a pizza.
sendô

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug