What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby nickkarkie on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:01 pm

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Aspera Turkish restaurant, London rd. Benfleet

Had garlic mushrooms in mozzarella follwed by a mixed grill of all things shish.

Bit noisy, but it was full and a saturday night, but the food was lovely.
9/10 :thup:

They are getting rave reviews, food and cocktails look superb and they look after their customers. I think the owner used to work for Sheesh
nickkarkie

Postby Concerned of Canvey on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:04 pm

nickkarkie wrote:They are getting rave reviews, food and cocktails look superb and they look after their customers. I think the owner used to work for Sheesh

Yep you are correct.

Been to both and IMO Aspera is better than Sheesh, friendly staff, great food and not expensive.

I have the chicken livers and caramelised red onion starter, followed by the mixed grill, Highly recommended ! 9/10
Concerned of Canvey

Postby Nesticles on Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:18 pm

Nesticles wrote:I'm off to Ally Pally for a gig tomorrow night gents

Any recommendation for a spot to grab some grub and a few beers before please?

Few tube stops away would be fine. Was thinking about checking out Black Axe Mangal in Highbury and Islington.

MikeNewell'sOldBoys wrote:If you like Korean/Japanese food try and book a table at Dotori right next to Finsbury Park. Usually comes out at about £20 a head with 1 alcoholic drink and too much food to eat. Always full though so you need to book or go very early.
EDIT. Just realised I'm a little late with advice!

Thanks for the tip, will try that one out next time I am up there again.

Ended up going to Black Axe Mangal

Really enjoyed it. Small inside (probably doesn't hold more than 20 people). Got there about 6:30, was quiet then but by 7:30 was getting very busy with people waiting to get in. Small menu, portions aren't the biggest but the food is bloody lovely. Friendly staff, rock music in the background.

Between two we shared:

Buffalo Ricotta and Tomato flatbread
Ribs with thin strips of crackling
Buttermilk chicken wings. The batter these were coated in was amazing

Few cans of Cisk lager and Mrs had a few of their mixers which were lovely. Total was £60. Felt a touch expensive but I didn't really begrudge paying it as the food was brilliant and it was a quality little spot to eat in.

http://www.blackaxemangal.com/
Nesticles

Postby RichieRiv on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:08 am

City Social - Tower 42 (NatWest tower for old farts like me).

Very much one for a special occasion as it's pretty lumpy, but seriously one of the best meals out I've had in a long time.

Usually these restaurants with a view (which was pretty spectacular, even from the toilets) charge a premium yet the food leaves you disappointed. But I'd happily pay the prices they charge without the view.

Cornish Crab, followed by saddle of rabbit and then finished off with a rhubarb souffle - which was top notch.

A very good 9/10.
RichieRiv

Postby ironstu on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:00 pm

Smiths (Wapping) - There's one in Ongar as well

9/10

Lovely view of Tower Bridge and The Shard. Food to match the view, had a surf and turf which was a sirloin steak with some lobster. Dauphinoise potatoes are a must as a side, they are amazing. Steak was good but the seafood is the way to go here. Missus had lovely tiger prawns which were the biggest I've ever seen.
ironstu

Postby ironstu on Tue May 02, 2017 5:22 pm

Another vote for Aspera in Benfleet. Definitely stand out over the other millions of Turkish restaurants popping up all over the place, good quality food, good atmosphere, good service. Recommend it to anyone. I had the little filo pastry parcels stuffed with feta and spinach for starter (can't remember the turkish name for it) and mixed grill which never fails in a Turkish restaurant. Missus had the lamb beyti which was basically minced lamb in a wrap covered in the most gorgeous sauce it was spot on!
ironstu

Postby EugeneSpeed on Tue May 02, 2017 5:27 pm

Nesticles wrote:Ended up going to Black Axe Mangal

Really enjoyed it. Small inside (probably doesn't hold more than 20 people). Got there about 6:30, was quiet then but by 7:30 was getting very busy with people waiting to get in. Small menu, portions aren't the biggest but the food is bloody lovely. Friendly staff, rock music in the background.

Been wanting to go there for ages, but the fact you can't book puts me off as I live too far away now. Looks so good though.

Alexandra Palace really lacking in places to eat pre-gig. We'd always end up at one the Turkish places on Green Lanes.
EugeneSpeed

Postby bunk on Tue May 02, 2017 5:47 pm

Slickity Jim's, Vancouver - Easily one of the best breakfasts I've had in years. Poached eggs with melted feta cheese topping avacado on an English muffin, along with salsa and potatoes. It was sensational. Service could have been a little quicker, though it was heaving and had a half an hour waiting list. The cup of coffee was average to be honest, despite Canadians raving about the quality of their stuff, the beer Gypsy Tears Ruby Ale was pretty nice. For the breakfast alone, 9/10.
bunk

Postby Denzil on Fri May 05, 2017 2:33 pm

Went to Gunpowder yesterday lunch time near Spitalfield Market. It's essentially a Pakistani, cafe food styled tapas boutique type restaurant, I guess. Been a few times now and love it. Lamb chops are the best in London IMO and I have tried a lot of the famous Lamb Chop places (although they want to be for £7.50 a chop!) If you go in the evening be prepared for a potential long wait, they will text you when your table is ready so you can go to a boozer but you can wait up to two hours! It's pretty small in there, seats about 30.

8.5/10

Am off to Canto Corvino tonight near Liv St, anyone been? Heard good things.
Denzil

Postby DasNutNock on Fri May 05, 2017 4:20 pm

Denzil wrote:a Pakistani, cafe food styled tapas boutique type restaurant

DasNutNock

Postby fjthegrey on Fri May 05, 2017 4:32 pm

They saw a gap in the market there.

I just checked out their menu. I want to go.
fjthegrey

Postby White Goodman on Sat May 06, 2017 11:48 am

Haywards in Epping last night.

Have to say 10 out of 10 for me, although they took a while bringing out our main course , could not fault the food. Easily as good as the high end restaurants in London, which surprised me. Bit of a hidden gem really.

Well worth a visit and they do a bed and breakfast type deal with the little pub next door , which includes your meal at the restaurant for those of you that don't want to have to drive home afterwards
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Location: Currently educating John Higgins on the UK Bribery Act

Postby RichieRiv on Sun May 07, 2017 12:27 pm

The Grazing Sheep, Neptune Quay, Inbredswitch.

Good food, good service, nice view over the marina. Nice place to while away a Saturday afternoon.
RichieRiv

Postby Lee_WHU on Sun May 07, 2017 7:41 pm

fjthegrey wrote:They saw a gap in the market there.

I just checked out their menu. I want to go.

And now so have I. Wouldn't know what to start with off that menu, I'd spend a bloody fortune.
Lee_WHU

Postby southendmadhammer on Mon May 08, 2017 9:39 am

Denzil wrote:Went to Gunpowder yesterday lunch time near Spitalfield Market. It's essentially a Pakistani, cafe food styled tapas boutique type restaurant, I guess. Been a few times now and love it. Lamb chops are the best in London IMO and I have tried a lot of the famous Lamb Chop places (although they want to be for £7.50 a chop!) If you go in the evening be prepared for a potential long wait, they will text you when your table is ready so you can go to a boozer but you can wait up to two hours! It's pretty small in there, seats about 30.

8.5/10

Am off to Canto Corvino tonight near Liv St, anyone been? Heard good things.

This is owned by a client of mine, who's just opened another place called Madame D's on Commercial Street. Both absolutely excellent.
southendmadhammer

Postby whuben on Mon May 08, 2017 10:12 am

I was in Brighton the weekend, had some very nice meals

The Coalhouse
Dinner Friday night, steak restaurant and very nice too. Staff were very good and attentive

Giggling Squid
Went here Saturday night, amazing Thai food probably the best Thai iv ever had. Only a small restaurant and they were turning people away all night long. They are opening one in brentwood so will definalty be going there when it opens

Riddle and Finns
Sunday lunch. Great seafood restaurant right on the beach, food was amazing but the service was diabolical, even got 15% off the bill because it was so bad. Cant fault the food though

Whilst i was there saw quite a few fellow hammers which was nice
whuben

Postby bunk on Mon May 08, 2017 10:16 am

Another vote for Gunpowder, a bit pricier but well worth the money imo. The lamb chops, good lord they're great. Beer selection could be improved though, but small criticism there. Will have to visit Madame D's.

Brasserie Zédel, Soho - Essentially a Parisian styled brasserie in a giant underground art deco former theatre. A starter salad of poached egg, lardons and lettuce now seems like it should have been ordered at breakfast and not 9 pm, but it was quite tasty. The main, a simple rib eye steak and fries with garlic butter was very nice and actually cooked rare, which is what was ordered. I often find that steaks in the UK in general are often bordering on medium rare, which is pretty annoying. A desert of chocolate mousse went down well, finishing with coffee. I think the food was pretty much on par with a slightly above average Parisian resturant, which is still pretty good in my book. The setting is also interesting for a visit. 7/10.
bunk

Postby MooreHurst on Mon May 08, 2017 11:05 am

White Goodman wrote:Haywards in Epping last night.

Have to say 10 out of 10 for me, although they took a while bringing out our main course , could not fault the food. Easily as good as the high end restaurants in London, which surprised me. Bit of a hidden gem really.

Well worth a visit and they do a bed and breakfast type deal with the little pub next door , which includes your meal at the restaurant for those of you that don't want to have to drive home afterwards

I have been here also and this is indeed a quality restaurant. A little gem and the owners, the husband the chef and the wife doing front of house are a superb team.
MooreHurst

Postby hawkins_hammer on Mon May 08, 2017 11:17 am

Big fan of Zedel's and the American bar inside.

Went to the Narrow last week and they were out of fish and chips! Really good burger and chips instead mind. Can't beat the view though. 8/10
hawkins_hammer

Postby EvilC on Mon May 08, 2017 12:23 pm

whuben wrote:Giggling Squid
Went here Saturday night, amazing Thai food probably the best Thai iv ever had. Only a small restaurant and they were turning people away all night long. They are opening one in brentwood so will definalty be going there when it opens

There is one near me, it's good and always busy.
EvilC

Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug