What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby nickkarkie on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:01 pm

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Aspera Turkish restaurant, London rd. Benfleet

Had garlic mushrooms in mozzarella follwed by a mixed grill of all things shish.

Bit noisy, but it was full and a saturday night, but the food was lovely.
9/10 :thup:

They are getting rave reviews, food and cocktails look superb and they look after their customers. I think the owner used to work for Sheesh
nickkarkie

Postby Concerned of Canvey on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:04 pm

nickkarkie wrote:They are getting rave reviews, food and cocktails look superb and they look after their customers. I think the owner used to work for Sheesh

Yep you are correct.

Been to both and IMO Aspera is better than Sheesh, friendly staff, great food and not expensive.

I have the chicken livers and caramelised red onion starter, followed by the mixed grill, Highly recommended ! 9/10
Concerned of Canvey

Postby Nesticles on Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:18 pm

Nesticles wrote:I'm off to Ally Pally for a gig tomorrow night gents

Any recommendation for a spot to grab some grub and a few beers before please?

Few tube stops away would be fine. Was thinking about checking out Black Axe Mangal in Highbury and Islington.

MikeNewell'sOldBoys wrote:If you like Korean/Japanese food try and book a table at Dotori right next to Finsbury Park. Usually comes out at about £20 a head with 1 alcoholic drink and too much food to eat. Always full though so you need to book or go very early.
EDIT. Just realised I'm a little late with advice!

Thanks for the tip, will try that one out next time I am up there again.

Ended up going to Black Axe Mangal

Really enjoyed it. Small inside (probably doesn't hold more than 20 people). Got there about 6:30, was quiet then but by 7:30 was getting very busy with people waiting to get in. Small menu, portions aren't the biggest but the food is bloody lovely. Friendly staff, rock music in the background.

Between two we shared:

Buffalo Ricotta and Tomato flatbread
Ribs with thin strips of crackling
Buttermilk chicken wings. The batter these were coated in was amazing

Few cans of Cisk lager and Mrs had a few of their mixers which were lovely. Total was £60. Felt a touch expensive but I didn't really begrudge paying it as the food was brilliant and it was a quality little spot to eat in.

http://www.blackaxemangal.com/
Nesticles

Postby RichieRiv on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:08 am

City Social - Tower 42 (NatWest tower for old farts like me).

Very much one for a special occasion as it's pretty lumpy, but seriously one of the best meals out I've had in a long time.

Usually these restaurants with a view (which was pretty spectacular, even from the toilets) charge a premium yet the food leaves you disappointed. But I'd happily pay the prices they charge without the view.

Cornish Crab, followed by saddle of rabbit and then finished off with a rhubarb souffle - which was top notch.

A very good 9/10.
RichieRiv

Postby ironstu on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:00 pm

Smiths (Wapping) - There's one in Ongar as well

9/10

Lovely view of Tower Bridge and The Shard. Food to match the view, had a surf and turf which was a sirloin steak with some lobster. Dauphinoise potatoes are a must as a side, they are amazing. Steak was good but the seafood is the way to go here. Missus had lovely tiger prawns which were the biggest I've ever seen.
ironstu

Previous

Return to The Snug