What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby bunk on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:34 pm

Firebrand Pizza, Marylebone - Visit on Friday night amongst the horrendous weather. Started with a selection of starters, a mozzarella and basil salad, parmigiana and bruschetta. Each was pretty damn tasty, the seasoning a particular highlight, espeically with the mozzarella.

The main was a pizza of nduja, salami, mushrooms. This was quite nice but not as memorable as the starters, decent but by no means exceptional. With drinks including a beer, a bottle of red and a double espresso it came to £33 each, including service. A pretty reliable place to eat I'd say, not an unreasonable price and nice service too. 7/10.
bunk

Postby FreeWheeling on Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:55 pm

La Riviere near Boulogne sur mer, France
Outstanding food and service at medium prices, we did not want too much so mains and seconds only at around £30 main and £12 -£15 seconds
Mrs had a fish dish which she said could not be better
Mine was fillet beef in a beef and strong red wine jus, shallots, duchess apples, carrots, tarragon
and was bang on

Mrs went for a dessert of a pear pie and cream and ice cream
I went for the cheese board, yet again bang on, with a nice glass of recommended red

10/10

I have to add this place has few rooms above the restaurant, one of which we stayed in
The continental breakfast was served by the chef
thick proper cut ham that melted in the mouth, with cheeses and a basket of assorted breads (one portion was enough for two people)
eggs , however you wanted to order them
basket of brioche etc
toasts with jams
cereals
bowls of fruit salad
bowl of other uncut fruit
£10 a pop
FreeWheeling

Postby chigwells finest on Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:15 pm

Lunch at Hanbury Manor , not one of their better days
chigwells finest

Postby Nolovelost on Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:21 pm

Giggling Squid in Henley. Avoid at all costs. Filthy.
Nolovelost

Postby York Ham(mer) on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:28 pm

Had a wonderful meal at Le Cochon Aveugle here in York. It's an avant garde French restaurant that gives you a blind tasting menu paired with wine. Fabulous! By golly, it's expensive but worth it, in my opinion, for the (three hour) experience. Need to book weeks in advance. There's a couple of write-ups by Marina O'Loughlin (Guardian) and Michael Deacon (Telegraph). The food certainly had me grinning like an eejit.
York Ham(mer)

Postby bubbles1966 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:38 pm

On Sunday, the Rose and Crown in Woodford Green for some pub grub. 40 notes for 4. Okay. 6/10. Can't put my finger on it, but I don't like the pub.

Monday, £48 for 3 mains and soft/small drinks at Pivaz in Chatsworth Road, Hackney. "Turkish" serving a very nice Moussaka (Greek). Nice in every way . 8/10.
bubbles1966

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:30 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:Ibleo in Chingford the other day.

Pleasant enough - a couple of sizeable pizzas at £8.50 each with Moretti and large red wine. Under £30, pre-service.

Not bad at all. 6.5/10

A very very strange gaff IMHO.
Food is ok, but the place is just plain odd
Always seems to be empty whlist La Baita and L'Artista always pretty busy
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Big George on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:10 am

bubbles1966 wrote:On Sunday, the Rose and Crown in Woodford Green for some pub grub. 40 notes for 4. Okay. 6/10. Can't put my finger on it, but I don't like the pub.

Used to be a grim boozer, has had amakeover to chase the prosecco and high heels markets. It doesn't work.

The Spivs has got a new menu up which might be worth a go
Big George

Postby BalaamBoy on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:17 am

There used to be an excellent Italian in Wanstead called 'the Gottico'. Is it still there? (This was 30 years ago - I'm guessing not).
BalaamBoy

Postby chigwells finest on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:05 am

BalaamBoy wrote:There used to be an excellent Italian in Wanstead called 'the Gottico'. Is it still there? (This was 30 years ago - I'm guessing not).

nope long gone, lots of ' family italian restaurants ' have gone , to be replaced by generic ' prezzo's etc
chigwells finest

Postby bubbles1966 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:11 am

bubbles1966 wrote:Ibleo in Chingford the other day.

Pleasant enough - a couple of sizeable pizzas at £8.50 each with Moretti and large red wine. Under £30, pre-service.

Not bad at all. 6.5/10

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:A very very strange gaff IMHO.
Food is ok, but the place is just plain odd
Always seems to be empty whlist La Baita and L'Artista always pretty busy

It is certainly in a slightly peculiar place and is bit of an odd shape. Mrs Bubbs' daughter and husband swear by the Thai place there - Pad Pong? I've only been once and the place was absolutely heaving.
bubbles1966

Postby Denzil on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:44 am

COYA - near Bank. 7.5/10

Peruvian fusion I guess you call it. Went here for lunch on Friday, nice settings dimly lit and fairly relaxed atmosphere which is nice for the City. Service was impeccable with the waiter talking us through every dish we wanted to discuss and with a wide knowledge of the cuisine.

Here's the menu http://www.coyarestaurant.com/uploads/m ... .07.17.pdf,

We ordered from the left side which is sharing plates as there were five of us. The cerviche was outstanding, all the tuna dishes were up there with the best sushi (which is effectively is) I've had. Few bottles of red and a Pisco sour, which was a delicious cocktail. Apparently a Peruvian specialty. That was very nice.

All in all, food and experience I'd give it a 9/10. The bill came in at 550 though (I was lucky enough to be on a client lunch) which I don't think it warranted really, which knocks it down to a 7.5 for me. I did think we went a bit long on the food though, could have probably taken a oner off the bill. They also do Guacamole at the start which they make at the table for you which was a pretty cool touch
Denzil

Postby bubbles1966 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:52 pm

Went to Kaspars at the Savoy at the weekend. 5/10.
bubbles1966

Postby Big George on Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:45 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:Went to Kaspars at the Savoy at the weekend. 5/10.

Seafood place? Love the look of the menu but no one has a good word to say about it
Big George

Postby prophet:marginal on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:58 pm

If you're ever Xabia way (Spanish coast, on the cusp of Valencia / Alicante regions), and love a steak, pre-book El Gaucho before you go. We went to Xabia last year and have returned today, from, well, a return trip. We couldn't get in last time, so we made an effort to pre-book it this time around.

And, it was worth the wait.

The kind of place that brings those little treats between courses, I went in for slow-roasted tomato, filled with spiced mince and mozzarella for starter and then the oxtail off the specials list, whilst all around me A4 slabs of steak were being served and eagerly torn into. A mate had his rare, which to me was a bit of steak given half an hour on a sun lounger, but he loved it. I love oxtail, but this was definitely the best I've ever had.

Wine list easily understood and otherwise explained by a welcoming and friendly staff. Went for a 26 euro bottle of red, which I imagine would cost double that, even in a far inferior gaff in England.

167 euros for the 6 of us, including aforementioned bottle and lagers, before the main course, and soft drinks for 3.

8.5/10, or better, basically, given the value for money bump it deserves.

Seriously, if you're holidaying there or nearby, and love your steak, get down on it.
prophet:marginal

Postby Coops on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:06 am

Bodean's BBQ Restaurant in Soho.
It was recommended by my nephew and it didn't disappoint. If you like smoked meat then you will love it.
We went for The Boss Hog Platter, which is a mountain of different meats.
They also do a decent selection of bottled craft ales.

There is an upstairs, which is more of a fast food joint. But we booked a booth downstairs, which is much more comfortable but also something that you probably need to book ahead for as it was rammed even on a wet Tuesday night.
Coops

Postby Tenbury on Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:13 am

chigwells finest wrote:

nope long gone, lots of ' family italian restaurants ' have gone , to be replaced by generic ' prezzo's etc

Try Casa Becci in Paddington St. (Used to run by the kids' mother's dad,currently her younger brother is out front,but old Remo still shuffles around and grunts a bit). True family run,forget pizza,eat real Italian.

On a different note it was my 13 year old's birthday this week.She's obsessed with all things Japanese,and we ended going into Waggamama's in Hereford.Apart from the fact that the food very poor,both in it's sourcing and cooking,the portions would have left the guinea pigs hungry.
Stacked out with middle class poseurs who would really have preferred to return to their local Harvester.

0 / 10.
Tenbury

Postby mushy on Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:41 pm

Big George wrote:
Used to be a grim boozer, has had amakeover to chase the prosecco and high heels markets. It doesn't work.

The Spivs has got a new menu up which might be worth a go

Used to play in the Rose and Crown darts team many moons ago, always been an odd pub both for shape and clientele, never felt all that comfortable.
Got a birthday bash coming soon upstairs in Spivs, you say the restaurant is now open?
mushy

Postby whuben on Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:57 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:If you're ever Xabia way (Spanish coast, on the cusp of Valencia / Alicante regions), and love a steak, pre-book El Gaucho before you go. We went to Xabia last year and have returned today, from, well, a return trip. We couldn't get in last time, so we made an effort to pre-book it this time around.

And, it was worth the wait.

The kind of place that brings those little treats between courses, I went in for slow-roasted tomato, filled with spiced mince and mozzarella for starter and then the oxtail off the specials list, whilst all around me A4 slabs of steak were being served and eagerly torn into. A mate had his rare, which to me was a bit of steak given half an hour on a sun lounger, but he loved it. I love oxtail, but this was definitely the best I've ever had.

Wine list easily understood and otherwise explained by a welcoming and friendly staff. Went for a 26 euro bottle of red, which I imagine would cost double that, even in a far inferior gaff in England.

167 euros for the 6 of us, including aforementioned bottle and lagers, before the main course, and sof
t drinks for 3.

8.5/10, or better, basically, given the value for money bump it deserves.

Seriously, if you're holidaying there or nearby, and love your steak, get down on it.

My mum and dad live there. I know exactly where it is but have never been for some reason will give it a go when I'm over there at christmas
whuben

Postby Big George on Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:30 am

mushy wrote:Used to play in the Rose and Crown darts team many moons ago, always been an odd pub both for shape and clientele, never felt all that comfortable.
Got a birthday bash coming soon upstairs in Spivs, you say the restaurant is now open?

Not sure, been away. They said at the start of the month it was 'soon'
Big George

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug