What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby Centre Half on Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:13 am

Anyone know any decent restaurants round London Bridge/ Bermondsey way for tonight that aren’t too badly priced?

Tried to get into Café Croute but no tables available.
Centre Half

Postby wizzo_66 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:51 pm

Centre Half wrote:Anyone know any decent restaurants round London Bridge/ Bermondsey way for tonight that aren’t too badly priced?

Tried to get into Café Croute but no tables available.

I posted about The Laughing Gravy if you can get in?

Southwark though. One further stop on the Jubilee.
wizzo_66

Postby ageing hammer on Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:18 pm

The Crate.....oh wait................... :D
ageing hammer

Postby Claretdave on Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:19 am

Archipelago, Fitzrovia

A most interesting restaurant serving interesting meats from around the world, including python, kangaroo and alpaca. Not for everyone, but very good.

9/10
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild

Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Postby WHU Independent on Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:15 pm

The Poplar Cafe, Poplar High Street, Poplar, E14

Double egg, beans, chips and griddled mushrooms, a bucket of tea and a free refill, about £5 ish - the portions were so big I couldn't finish it, and I was hungry! Wonderful!
WHU Independent

Postby bubbles1966 on Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:09 pm

Bit of breakfast in Village Deli in Loughton this morning. £13 for BLT Baguette/Salmon and Poached Egg on Toast/Tea and Americano. Reasonable on all scores.

Spot of lunch in Prezzo, Buckhurst Hill. £66 + tip for three courses each, plus a white wine spritzer and 2.5 pints of draught Peroni. Again, all very reasonable. A reliable gaff for a decent bit of food, good service, nice environment.

7/10 for both.
bubbles1966

Location: It's December.....time to forget the serious things...merry Xmas all

Postby trick88 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:50 am

Bouborn Smokehouse - Leamington Spa

Saw mixed reviews online but i thought it was very decent. Had a rack of ribs which were huge and not smothered in BBQ sauce which every restaurant seems to do these days which i liked. 2 for 1 cocktails which the lady liked and enjoyed a few pints of Yardbird. Service excellent too.

9/10
trick88

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:04 pm

Claretdave wrote:Archipelago, Fitzrovia

A most interesting restaurant serving interesting meats from around the world, including python, kangaroo and alpaca. Not for everyone, but very good.

9/10

the owner wanted to sell that place a couple of years ago - its got quite mad decor hasnt it
psychoscoredthelot

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:06 pm

went to Hawksmoor @ spitalfields

thought it was pretty crap to be honest £34 for a rib eye fillet and ive had better from Aldi for less than a £5 !!!
psychoscoredthelot

Postby bubbles1966 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:38 pm

psychoscoredthelot wrote:went to Hawksmoor @ spitalfields

thought it was pretty crap to be honest £34 for a rib eye fillet and ive had better from Aldi for less than a £5 !!!

Went there two/three years ago for a Sunday lunch and agree. It's a grossly over rated place. Nothing to write home about at all.
bubbles1966

Location: It's December.....time to forget the serious things...merry Xmas all

Postby nickkarkie on Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:14 pm

psychoscoredthelot wrote:went to Hawksmoor @ spitalfields

I went to Hawksmoor Guildhall about 2 months ago and I thought the steak was crap. Fillet was 35 quid, ribeye 28 and the rump was the best of the lot and was 18 quid and that is with no sides or sauce

When you compare that we sell 8oz aged Angus fillet for 21.90 with fries and sauce then they really are conning people.
nickkarkie

Postby Claretdave on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:05 pm

I have been to Hawksmoor several times (Guildhall and Seven Dials) and found it outstanding. Then again I usually share a Porterhouse.

Certainly the best steak I have had in London, ahead of Mash, the Goodmans and the marvellous Bull Steak Expert.

Psycho, Bubbles and Nickkarkie = people who would rather sleep with Jordan over Heidi Klum.
Claretdave

Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Postby Estuary on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:29 pm

Hawksmore, I much preferred the Air Street restaurant to Seven Dials, but neither was a patch on Goodmans, Maddox St and that isn't as good as the Canary Wharf restaurant.
Estuary

Postby Udonhammer on Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:16 am

Good lord . Some of tou guys must be completely minted or mental. At the prices you pay for a meal out you could eat some top nosh at my place for a whole week..allbeit
In chiang mai . I would love to try whiskey at 2200 a shot ...would it really be better than one at 10 quid a shot pop
Udonhammer

Postby nickkarkie on Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:16 am

Claretdave wrote:I have been to Hawksmoor several times (Guildhall and Seven Dials) and found it outstanding. Then again I usually share a Porterhouse.

Certainly the best steak I have had in London, ahead of Mash, the Goodmans and the marvellous Bull Steak Expert.

Psycho, Bubbles and Nickkarkie = people who would rather sleep with Jordan over Heidi Klum.

I don't agree, their meat was average, it was Jordan with normal makeup on and trying to look classy rather than being Heidi Klum.

The best steak I have had by a country mile was served outside Marbella football stadium, cooked on an open charcoal grill by a guy that looked like he was 80 years old, it was amazing, melt in your mouth, charred flavour and perfectly salted. Hawksmoor fillet steak was so bland and because they slice it before it comes to the table it was cold. You should never preslice any steak, let it rest and then serve it whole. Definitely style over substance.
nickkarkie

Postby Claretdave on Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:37 am

nickkarkie wrote:
I don't agree, their meat was average, it was Jordan with normal makeup on and trying to look classy rather than being Heidi Klum.

The best steak I have had by a country mile was served outside Marbella football stadium, cooked on an open charcoal grill by a guy that looked like he was 80 years old, it was amazing, melt in your mouth, charred flavour and perfectly salted. Hawksmoor fillet steak was so bland and because they slice it before it comes to the table it was cold. You should never preslice any steak, let it rest and then serve it whole. Definitely style over substance.

Fair play. Have you tried a Hawksmoor Porterhouse medium rare?

PS - my brother was over your way a month or so ago. I suggested you place, which he loved and left you a 5* review on Tripadvisor. I will definitely pay a visit when over your way.
Claretdave

Postby the pink palermo on Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:48 am

I think Nick has called it right on the Hawksmoor steak - it's cold when it gets to you .Way overpriced .

On ClaretDaves recommendation on here though , yesterday I tried an Honest Burger place , I'm not sure I'd call it a restaurant , but if it's good enough for Dave ...

Honest Burgers , South Kensington

I cheeseburger with rosemary seasoned fries and a diet coke £10.50 .

The burger was excellent - burger of the year - the fries massively over seasoned .Service was good, although the tables were cramped .

In reality it's twice the price of McDonalds but 20 times better . 7/10 .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Big George on Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:48 am

Claretdave wrote:I have been to Hawksmoor several times (Guildhall and Seven Dials) and found it outstanding. Then again I usually share a Porterhouse.

I'm afraid I agree with the Hawksmoor deniers, I think you should be able to judge a steak restaurant by its ribeye, mine was poor and cold. In addition I ordered a bone marrow side which arrived with the consistency of a dog chew. When questioned the waiter said "that's how we do it here"

The Stilton hollandaise though was fab.

Its a shame because the bar underneath the Spitalfields branch is one of my favourite spots in London.
Big George

Postby nickkarkie on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:07 am

Claretdave wrote:
Fair play. Have you tried a Hawksmoor Porterhouse medium rare?

PS - my brother was over your way a month or so ago. I suggested you place, which he loved and left you a 5* review on Tripadvisor. I will definitely pay a visit when over your way.

Well porterhouse is just fillet steak with sirloin attached, I didn't try their sirloin but honestly the fillet was stone cold and bland (obviously steak is cooked to around 48c and rests and rises in temp to 54c for medium rare whereas other foods are 73c+ but theirs was more around 30c as they probably cook them too early, if they are going to do that then they need to put them in a 55c oven to hold and definitely not slice them) as was their ribeye, the rump was really tasty and almost as tender as the fillet.

Thanks for recommending us to your brother, that's very kind of you. I always feel pressure cooking for people who I know so I'm glad you didn't tell me haha.
nickkarkie

Postby RichieRiv on Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:28 am

The Hawksmoor Sunday roast is great value for money at 20 quid - the bone marrow gravy is lovely.

But their steaks - all a bit meh if you ask me. People have become very snobby when it comes to Steak restaurants. I went to Smith and Wollensky a few months back, which is a lot more formal than either Goodmans or Hawksmoor and great decor, but was it £ for Ib the best steak I've eaten? No. I'd rather go to L'Entrecôte.

The week before last Mrs RR took me to Yauatcha City for my birthday. Posh Chinese, but with Dim Sum which was lovely. Cocktails weren't bad either. Nothing like whiling away your afternoon in the city.
RichieRiv

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug