What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby thamesmeadhammer on Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:59 pm

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:If we're getting that technical, Estuary, then it's not a Full English as Hash Browns were involved.

It then just becomes a cooked breakfast, which opens the rule to any beverage choice really. :)

DL,

You running out of Woolwich for SELKENT?
brother in law used to work out of there till they pushed him out the door but my nephews still work there as engineers.

PS I know the cafe you went to, ain't been there for ages, prefer Mem's on the King's Highway in Plumstead BUT I'll pop into the Woolwich cafe soon.
thamesmeadhammer

Location: Walking in God's Grace, Sunny North Thamesmead, BML Row G 151

Postby sendô on Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:12 pm

No beans or black pud therefore not a proper full english in my book.
sendô

Postby vietnammer on Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:49 pm

sendô wrote:No beans or black pud therefore not a proper full english in my book.

And you, Sir, didn't mention bubble, to your eternal shame.

Is Peter's Cafe on North St./ A12 still there? Was a regular brekky stop of a Saturday.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:06 pm

No potato products on a full English at all, Viet, no matter how great bubble is.

Sendo knows.
rare as rockinghorse shat

Postby -DL- on Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:08 pm

thamesmeadhammer wrote:DL,

You running out of Woolwich for SELKENT?
brother in law used to work out of there till they pushed him out the door but my nephews still work there as engineers.

PS I know the cafe you went to, ain't been there for ages, prefer Mem's on the King's Highway in Plumstead BUT I'll pop into the Woolwich cafe soon.

Almost. Plumstead for Stagecoach London FKA Selkent. I'm going to be pounding Thamesmead in a couple of days as it happens, covering for my pal on the 472.
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby RichieRiv on Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:58 pm

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:No potato products on a full English at all, Viet, no matter how great bubble is..

If I am having a full monty actually for brekkie then you're right, no bubble. But if I am having it for lunch, then I think it's acceptable to have cremated B&S.

Personally I would elbow the holy ghost and opt for a fried slice.
RichieRiv

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:38 pm

Or both :)
rare as rockinghorse shat

Postby Rocket on Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:25 am

Yesterday - Prezzo, Trafalgar Square. Nice food - we all had different main courses and desserts and all were happy. Service was a bit hit and miss - the food all came in a timely fashion, but we had to ask three times before the complex order of tap water arrived - and I felt that the waitress was a bit too keen to take our order, before we'd had a proper opportunity to sit down and look at the menus. There was an issue with one of my mates' dessert orders - he'd asked for three scoops of sorbet but only two arrived - which seemed to be resolved fairly easily. Another mate has a gluten intolerance, and there seemed to be fairly little on the menu that he could have, so they get marked down for that. Our bill came to £90 for four mains, four desserts and a bottle of wine, which is reasonable, but I was expecting it to be a bit cheaper - my mate had some sort of money off voucher, but it didn't transpire until after the meal that half of the things we'd ordered weren't included in the deal.

7/10.
Rocket

Postby wizzo_66 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:12 pm

Not today but if anyone hasn't tried the Laughing Gravy in Southwark, it's a cracking little restaurant and very reasonable for the standard of food.

Highly recommend, been back 3 or 4 times.

Had a very good Sunday lunch in Heirloom, Crouchend for a family bash.
wizzo_66

Postby thamesmeadhammer on Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:47 pm

[/quote]Almost. Plumstead for Stagecoach London FKA Selkent. I'm going to be pounding Thamesmead in a couple of days as it happens, covering for my pal on the 472.[/quote]

As my name says, I'll look out for you in Thamesmead! :D

Japanese Canteen today -Bento Box & Prawn dumplings washed down with a bottle of water. Was okish, had better, bored with food options in Aldgate, nothing takes my fancy anymore.
Taking a client to Aqua @ The Shard next week - has anyone been?
thamesmeadhammer

Location: Walking in God's Grace, Sunny North Thamesmead, BML Row G 151

Postby -DL- on Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:57 pm

Some shitty old chicken shop in Hare Street Woolwich. Had a 3 piece meal with chips for 3 and a half quid. Food was ok (6/10 so far as chicken goes) but the place was skank. 1/10. Awaiting a dose of the shits with baited breath...
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby Rocketron on Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:13 pm

I expect your passengers are too. :lol:
Rocketron

Postby bunk on Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:13 pm

La Méduse, Paris - Popped in for a drink with the aim of having something other than the standard lagers that are on offer in 90% of French bars and happily found a lovely Demory Paris to drink.

Couldn't be bothered to leave and to be honest it was a very nice bar so thought get dinner here too, steak tartar and a portion of sardines. I'm not a big fish person by a long shot but they were okay, which to a person who enjoys fish probably meant it was very good. The tartar was excellent, though the portion was a liltle small.

€42 in total, not the cheapest and to be honest I could probably have eaten a Maccies after, but an enjoyable 2 hours in there. 7.5/10.
bunk

Postby Claretdave on Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:37 pm

Union St Cafe, Southwark

Very nice Italian. A great calamari starter, followed by a seafood taglatelli and pistachio pannacotta.

8/10
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild

Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Postby RichieRiv on Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:40 am

Haywards in Bell Common near Epping.

Limited set menu, but they only have one sitting per day so there is no rush. Plenty of amuse bouche between courses which is a nice touch.

8/10

(it's also next door to The Forest Gate Pub which is handy).
RichieRiv

Postby Arnold Layne on Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:18 am

Havet , Bromley.

Great big kalamari & tartare sauce 10/10
Doner meat with chili sauce and garlic sauce , spicy bulgur and a Mediterranean salad 9/10
Washed down with a brace of efes 7/10
Arnold Layne

Postby WHU Independent on Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:17 pm

The Poplar Cafe, Poplar High Street, Poplar E14.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... gland.html

This is a top cafe, and is in my top 3 of all time best cafes.

It has everything a cafe should have: great food, well cooked, large portions, an extensive menu, friendly helpful staff that will adapt any meal to suit your tastes, a selection of newspapers to read, a TV with the sound turned off and subtitles, plus free refills of tea and coffee after your initial purchase.

I had Spanish omelette and salad and it was perfect. Light and fluffy on the inside, crispy on the outside - the salad was proper salad too, not a garnish.

My dad has sausage, beans, bacon double egg and chips - and he couldn't finish his as it was so filling - and that's a first for my old man!

The only negative are the bogs: small and dingy but very clean.

9/10.
WHU Independent

Postby bunk on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:39 am

Flat Iron, Soho - An hour and a half wait for a table at this steakhouse meant a few drinks in the pubs nearby, happily the food was when we got in was very, very good. I've often found ordering a rare steak in the UK means it's never actually rare, almost like they don't really believe you want it, happily this place cooked it to pretty much perfection. The sides of chips, creamed spinach and aubergine were excellent and the house red was tasty.

Throw in that we had 50% discount as the waitress had spilt steak juice over my brothers T-shirt, for £15 this was a really good meal. Food and drinks probably 8.5/10, but for £15, i'll give it a 9/10. Would go back tomorrow.
bunk

Postby Wembley1966 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:03 pm

RichieRiv wrote:Haywards in Bell Common near Epping.
(it's also next door to The Forest Gate Pub which is handy).

Forest Gate is a good pub - always have a couple of Admans beers available. I remember being there when they were building the M25 a hundred yards away - they put it straight through the middle of Epping Foresters cricket ground. They did cover it all over and reinstate the cricket pitch on top in the same place afterwards.
Wembley1966

Postby Claretdave on Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:46 pm

Hawksmoor, Guildhall. Shared a 900g Porterhouse medium rare.

Best steak in London. 10/10.
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild

Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug