What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby BalaamBoy on Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:43 am

Francoisvander or else wrote:Gourmet Turk in Bishops Stortford Saturday night. Food was a bit pricey but the wine list was fair value which made up for it. Had Baba ganoush to start followed by a mixed shish. Only 3 cubes of chicken and 3 cubes of lamb (one of which was more fat than meat). Mrs FVE had Liver to start which she raved about follwed by Adana Kofte which she thought was okay.

Food 7/10
Drinks 8/10
Decor 8/10
Singer 11/10 nice tight dress with a cracking pair of Bristol City's :)

Wow!! That's the old Boar's Head - used to be one of the only pubs that served us U18's in the day, probably because it was next door to the Old Bill and they had special 'afters' sessions there.

I checked the restaurant's website. I like the fact that they serve deserts, and not desserts; much lower in calories!
BalaamBoy

Postby prophet:marginal on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:23 pm

It was our wedding anniversary last night, so treated us both to a meal at a new Italian place called Sorella in Clapham (locals of a certain vintage will remember the restaurant that used to be on the same plot, named El Rincon Latino).

The decor was apparently that trendy concept of 'unfinished', so they'd pulled off/down what had been on the walls and left exposed brick and plaster. Not to my taste, tbh, but, in fairness, they're probably hoping for a younger crowd anyway. The rest of the people in there, on a Weds night, were your common and garden shiny Clapham/Wandsworth crowd; merrily quaffing wine and cocktails.

The early nibbles were fairly normal, and the menu was divided into antipasti, primo, secondi, some other aspect of the menu which the septics would probably call 'sides', and dolci.

Only the missus was having a drink, and she limited it to a homemade vodka and tonic, which went down a treat.

I can't remember the names of all that we had, but the best dish by far was my secondi, which was half a dozen small-ish cuts of saddleback pork, served with roasted cauliflower and an absolutely perfect ragu sauce (njuda?). Every mouthful was perfect; the meat was puzzlingly pink (given that it was pork), but perfectly cooked and the sauce took the whole dish to another level.

We swerved the dolci, as it happens, but got brought a pair of (free) lemon and seed cakelets, given that there was a coffee ordered to finish the meal. Obviously, the coffee was also perfect (according to La Proph) and, given that she's half-Italian, I let her be the judge of it.

So, for the food itself, a fair 8/10, but have to say that, when you factor in that I only drank water, and we neither had any kind of sweet, a bill edging towards £95 (service pre-added, natch) was a touch toppy.
prophet:marginal

Postby Stevey on Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:21 pm

After a couple of recommendations from you good people as I'm a bit of a neanderthal when it comes to dining out. Next month is the other half's 30th birthday, so would obviously like to do something a bit special. Not overly concerned about something too swanky, as she'd be more impressed by something a bit more quirky but happy to splash out. Only difficulty when it comes to us is that she is a vegetarian and I am pretty much exclusively a meat eater, so something with plenty of options is a plus.

Thanks in advance.
Stevey

Postby EvilC on Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:44 pm

The Little Garden, Sevenoaks. 8/10.

Egg and Asparagus thing to start, Onglet (which was tremendous) for main. Nice cocktail, nice wine and good to be able to sit outside for most of it. Good service although I had to get them to change the bill as they had added a £45 bottle of champagne that I definitely didn't order, which they did with a minimum of fuss. Inside can be noisy and for the short while we were in there it was occupied by a large group of the local MILFIA, which made it difficult to hear each other at times.
EvilC

Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...

Postby Rocketron on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:30 pm

Stevey wrote:After a couple of recommendations from you good people as I'm a bit of a neanderthal when it comes to dining out. Next month is the other half's 30th birthday, so would obviously like to do something a bit special. Not overly concerned about something too swanky, as she'd be more impressed by something a bit more quirky but happy to splash out. Only difficulty when it comes to us is that she is a vegetarian and I am pretty much exclusively a meat eater, so something with plenty of options is a plus.

Thanks in advance.

Any Greek or Turkish restaurant. Ask for a shared meze platter with the meat at one end, veggie at the other.
Rocketron

Postby Denzil on Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:17 am

Stevey wrote:After a couple of recommendations from you good people as I'm a bit of a neanderthal when it comes to dining out. Next month is the other half's 30th birthday, so would obviously like to do something a bit special. Not overly concerned about something too swanky, as she'd be more impressed by something a bit more quirky but happy to splash out. Only difficulty when it comes to us is that she is a vegetarian and I am pretty much exclusively a meat eater, so something with plenty of options is a plus.

Thanks in advance.

Stevey, am in the same boat. I tend to be more of a vegetarian these days when we cook at home. Question I have for you; what do you do for home cooking? Cook separately or have you got any decent ideas for meals that can incorporate both?
Denzil

Postby We_are_BML on Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:48 am

Thanks in advance.

The Shed at Dulwich
We_are_BML

Postby Stevey on Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:45 pm

Denzil wrote:Stevey, am in the same boat. I tend to be more of a vegetarian these days when we cook at home. Question I have for you; what do you do for home cooking? Cook separately or have you got any decent ideas for meals that can incorporate both?

We don't live together yet, so that will be another bridge to cross when we come to it. When we do cook together we will either do something separate or something fairly basic that'll suit both of us such as a pasta of some variety.
Stevey

Postby prophet:marginal on Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:12 am

Stevey

If you're not that far from Hackney...
prophet:marginal

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:10 pm

Thanks to the posters who mentioned Blacklock in here a while back. I went on Saturday and it was fantastic. Great food, great drinks, great service and atmosphere 9/10.
Cockneyboy311

Postby WHU Independent on Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:14 pm

Leadbelly, Canada Water - As a reward for helping a mate do some work, he took me to this place. It's massive: it has a bar, a place where blues bands play and a restaurant. We opted for food and got a table straight away at 9pm, which is not that usual, as it's usually banged out. I told the lovely italian waitress that I was starving, and she recommended a burger. I wasn't in the mood for that so I went for the sweet potato, aubergine and pepper layered bake with a spicy tomato and garlic sauce plus a side of BBQ'ed asparagus. My mate went for some kinda big steak burger and chips.

Well first and foremost, the service was excellent. The food come up quick and all the waitresses were really helpful and pleasant. The Vittell wheat beer went down a treat too. The food was well cooked and tasty - my mate demolished his burger and said is was "Luvverly!" Everything was really good - top bogs too! - but my portion was really tiny. I mean minuscule. If it wasn't for the beer and the massive portion of chunky asparagus I would have left there hungry.

Service: 9/10
Food - Taste wise 9/10
Food - Portion wise 2/10
Bogs 8/10.

VFM - no idea my mate paid.

I also had some mates over from the States and they took me out too! We went to Wagamama's Canary Wharf. I love it here. They have a vegan menu with a wide range of choice, innovative dishes and I have never been let down by the quality of the food. The service was also excellent and the three people I went with all loved their food - Spiced Chilli Chicken Salad, some octopus dish, Phad Thai and for me, Mixed veg chilli Rahmen. It was a top meal and everyone left happy. When my mate revealed she had a sesame seed allergy, the server got the manager over. He arrived with a raft of books and flow charts and worked out if my mate could have the Phad Thai - and she could.

Service 9/10
Food taste and portion wise 9/10
Bogs 9/10
VFM - no idea my mate paid.
WHU Independent

Postby Coops on Fri May 04, 2018 10:05 am

Byron Burger.
We got there late and were proper hank so we really went for it.
Wings to start then a bacon double cheese for 3 of us (Mrs Coops went for a smaller option).
I had the stacked fries,which I probably should have shared with somebody because they were like a meal in themselves. We all had milkshakes and sauces.
It came to just under £100 for four of us and I left there feeling like I had a pregnant women stuffed in my belly.
Burgers were spot on, decent size and very tasty. Probably the best from a chain that I have had in this country
8/10 would go again.
Coops

Postby Marky on Fri May 04, 2018 12:56 pm

Coops wrote:Byron Burger.
We got there late and were proper hank so we really went for it.
Wings to start then a bacon double cheese for 3 of us (Mrs Coops went for a smaller option).
I had the stacked fries,which I probably should have shared with somebody because they were like a meal in themselves. We all had milkshakes and sauces.
It came to just under £100 for four of us and I left there feeling like I had a pregnant women stuffed in my belly.
Burgers were spot on, decent size and very tasty. Probably the best from a chain that I have had in this country
8/10 would go again.

Actually trying to imagine the calories!!
Marky

Postby Coops on Fri May 04, 2018 1:21 pm

Marky wrote:Actually trying to imagine the calories!!

I'm actually trying not to think about the calories. :D
Coops

Postby Big George on Fri May 04, 2018 5:32 pm

We_are_BML wrote:
The Shed at Dulwich

:lol:
Big George

Postby sendô on Mon May 14, 2018 9:58 am

Alec's in Navestock Side.

Nice decor, a plethora of wannabe TOWIE wallies, nice red label Peroni, great food, slightly disconcerting prices. Worth a visit if you're into your fish and have some money to spend on food. Although they did bring us up a warm white wine, the peasants.
sendô

Postby Denzil on Mon May 14, 2018 1:41 pm

sendô wrote:Alec's in Navestock Side.

Nice decor, a plethora of wannabe TOWIE wallies, nice red label Peroni, great food, slightly disconcerting prices. Worth a visit if you're into your fish and have some money to spend on food. Although they did bring us up a warm white wine, the peasants.

Used to rate this as one of my favourite restaurants in the area, had heard it had gone right down hill though but nice to see a positive(ish) review.
Denzil

Postby sendô on Mon May 14, 2018 4:58 pm

I'd say 8/10 to be fair, my food was all very nice. The monkfish with prawns and scallops was spot on, as were the dauphinoise potatoes.
sendô

Postby Concerned of Canvey on Tue May 15, 2018 4:57 pm

sendô wrote:I'd say 8/10 to be fair, my food was all very nice. The monkfish with prawns and scallops was spot on, as were the dauphinoise potatoes.

Alec's used to be really good but i heard its gone downhill recently.

The original chef and one of the owners have now opened Felix in Billericay.

Its every bit as good as Alec's was when it first opened, almost identical menu and prices are a bit cheaper as well.

Been in there twice now and its excellent!

Highly recommended 9/10.
Concerned of Canvey

Postby Harry Hound on Tue May 15, 2018 10:18 pm

We_are_BML wrote:
The Shed at Dulwich

I hear that it got some great reviews
Harry Hound

Location: "just a came from nowhere and going straight back there!"

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug