What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby WHU Independent on Fri May 18, 2018 9:13 pm

Wahacca. Canary Wharf. More excellent food from a great place. Service was top notch as usual and my Veggie enchiladas, pan seared broccoli, guacamole and salsa were lovely. £60 for 3 people including 1 tequila, 2 soft drinks and food for three people. Bargain. My only criticism - we were given a seat near some concealed serving door and it was really off putting. I was going to ask to e re seated but my dining companions didn't want to make a fuss.

The Premises, Hackney Road: I've been going here on and off for years. It's a compact, intimate place run by lovely people. My vegan mezze was top draw. Lovely wine and beer too. My mates had ribs and said they were cooked to perfection. I'll be back again soon.
WHU Independent

Postby Big George on Mon May 21, 2018 9:04 am

Coops wrote:Bodean's BBQ Restaurant in Soho.
It was recommended by my nephew and it didn't disappoint. If you like smoked meat then you will love it.
We went for The Boss Hog Platter, which is a mountain of different meats.
They also do a decent selection of bottled craft ales.

There is an upstairs, which is more of a fast food joint. But we booked a booth downstairs, which is much more comfortable but also something that you probably need to book ahead for as it was rammed even on a wet Tuesday night.

Grace Dent on Bodeans, spot on, never had a good meal there.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ant-review

The clientele are duped tourists and potential incel freedom fighters bulking up on protein. My labrador would not have eaten Bodean’s cremated babyback ribs, and that stupid hound will wolf down fox poo with vivid glee. Does Bodean’s care about this? Or will it rumble on until it’s turfed out of the market, when it will be everyone else’s fault, including you and naughty me?
Big George

Postby ironstu on Mon May 21, 2018 12:53 pm

If you want a proper BBQ restaurant, Zelman Meats in Soho. Outstanding Brisket and Beef Short Ribs.

Even let me in the kitchen to have a look at the smoker and chat with the chef about his techniques, fasicnating.
ironstu

Postby the pink palermo on Mon May 21, 2018 1:23 pm

sendô wrote:I'd say 8/10 to be fair, my food was all very nice. The monkfish with prawns and scallops was spot on, as were the dauphinoise potatoes.

The place changed hands for an enormous, and I mean enormous sum of money.

I'd be amazed if the investor that bought it ever gets his money back.

Not as good as it used to be, quite expensive and the attention to detail has slipped.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby EastBrisHammer on Mon May 21, 2018 1:33 pm

Can I say I really don't understand the fascination with ribs. Looking at the recommendations here and the bbq thread make feel a bit ill. I know it's a personal preference on my part but what is it that makes ribs so good for you lot?
EastBrisHammer

Postby Denzil on Tue May 22, 2018 1:56 pm

Friend of mine went Alec's recently, sent the food back twice as it was over-cooked (steak). Said he got both mains off the bill but wouldn't go back.

Think I'll swerve it from now.
Denzil

Postby Coops on Wed May 23, 2018 2:55 pm

EastBrisHammer wrote:Can I say I really don't understand the fascination with ribs. Looking at the recommendations here and the bbq thread make feel a bit ill. I know it's a personal preference on my part but what is it that makes ribs so good for you lot?

Meat and sauce.
Coops

Postby spod on Sat May 26, 2018 2:23 am

Today I went to Arthur's on Kingsland Road for the last time.
It opened in 1935 and shut this afternoon. I was in there when they hung the net curtains up.
I'm actually really sad about it. Took my girls in there when they were babies and the staff always remembered them. Never found another place like it. Proper community cafe, with all kinds sharing tables and getting on.
Don't like to think where the old men who used to go there every day will meet up now. Maybe nowhere.
Arthur, who was the second Arthur to own and run it, died a couple of months ago.
He was the genuine article. Used to get up at dawn to hand cut the chips, but he wouldn't serve them at breakfast time. He just didn't think you should have chips for breakfast. Always wore a clean, white coat and knew everyone in there.
Everyone was shocked when they read the will and he'd insisted the place should be sold. No one really knows why, but the waitress we spoke to today reckons it might be because he didn't think anyone else could run it like him. His grandson seems gutted about the whole thing. Everyone did, today. Place was packed out.
Very, very sad day for the neighbourhood.
spod

Postby only1post on Mon May 28, 2018 4:48 pm

Not sure who mentioned it on here but Billy 100s down on Southend seafront just made the top 10 in some Guardian list of good seaside eateries.
only1post

Postby EvilC on Wed May 30, 2018 1:45 pm

spod wrote:Today I went to Arthur's on Kingsland Road for the last time.
It opened in 1935 and shut this afternoon. I was in there when they hung the net curtains up.
I'm actually really sad about it. Took my girls in there when they were babies and the staff always remembered them. Never found another place like it. Proper community cafe, with all kinds sharing tables and getting on.
Don't like to think where the old men who used to go there every day will meet up now. Maybe nowhere.
Arthur, who was the second Arthur to own and run it, died a couple of months ago.
He was the genuine article. Used to get up at dawn to hand cut the chips, but he wouldn't serve them at breakfast time. He just didn't think you should have chips for breakfast. Always wore a clean, white coat and knew everyone in there.
Everyone was shocked when they read the will and he'd insisted the place should be sold. No one really knows why, but the waitress we spoke to today reckons it might be because he didn't think anyone else could run it like him. His grandson seems gutted about the whole thing. Everyone did, today. Place was packed out.
Very, very sad day for the neighbourhood.

Blimey - I lived within 200 yards of that place for seven years and never went in. What a shame to see it go.
EvilC

Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...

Postby Big George on Wed May 30, 2018 2:35 pm

Scotts, Mayfair fish restaurant.Very good food and it's a long time since I felt as well looked after as I did there. Quite toppy :shock: but worth it as a special treat.
Big George

Postby bigcarpchaser on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:59 pm

Anywhere recommended round Piccadilly way?
Taking the Doris to see Phanton of the Opera at the weekend and will probably try and grab a bite to eat after
bigcarpchaser

Postby fmgod on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:10 pm

Can anyone suggest a sort of British restaurant in the sort of Smiths Wapping vibe, it's a gift for my father, so nothing too trendy and loud or ideas like foams and emulsions, etc just good normal food
fmgod

Postby bigcarpchaser on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:20 pm

bigcarpchaser wrote:Anywhere recommended round Piccadilly way?
Taking the Doris to see Phanton of the Opera at the weekend and will probably try and grab a bite to eat after

FWIW, after zero recommendations from you useless lot, we ended up at a place called Kricket in Soho.
Bit like a posh Indian Wagamama style joint. Quite liked it to be fair. Solid 8/10.
The Date and Pistachio Nan/Flat breads were particularly lush.

Quite enjoyed POTO too except the experience was rather tainted by the Oriiental chap sitting next to me who had a rather annoying leg twitch/wobble/bounce thing going on, interspersed with moments of ****ing his teeth with his finger. I couldn’t help but grab the caaaaaaants leg and squeeze the feck out it rather than just elbow him in the face. We were front row circle so that would have possibly got me ejected.
bigcarpchaser

Postby Mayday on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:38 pm

If I had seen this the other day I would have told you to go to 'Joe Allens'. Literally one of the best restaurants you will ever go to.
The food is great, the bar and cocktails are great, prices are more than reasonable. The atmosphere is amazing. It is an institution.
You all need to find out for yourselves but I guarantee it will feature as one of your best restaurants ever.
Mayday

Postby Hemel Iron on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:29 am

bigcarpchaser wrote:
FWIW, after zero recommendations from you useless lot, we ended up at a place called Kricket in Soho.
Bit like a posh Indian Wagamama style joint. Quite liked it to be fair. Solid 8/10.
The Date and Pistachio Nan/Flat breads were particularly lush.

Quite enjoyed POTO too except the experience was rather tainted by the Oriiental chap sitting next to me who had a rather annoying leg twitch/wobble/bounce thing going on, interspersed with moments of ****ing his teeth with his finger. I couldn’t help but grab the caaaaaaants leg and squeeze the feck out it rather than just elbow him in the face. We were front row circle so that would have possibly got me ejected.

Sounded interesting so I checked the website, dumbest website design I have ever seen, impossible to read the fuckin menu.
Hemel Iron

Postby Big George on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:18 am

Mayday wrote:If I had seen this the other day I would have told you to go to 'Joe Allens'. Literally one of the best restaurants you will ever go to.
The food is great, the bar and cocktails are great, prices are more than reasonable. The atmosphere is amazing. It is an institution.
You all need to find out for yourselves but I guarantee it will feature as one of your best restaurants ever.

Used to go to the old Joe Allen's a lot, haven't been to the new place.
Big George

Postby Denzil on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:34 pm

fmgod wrote:Can anyone suggest a sort of British restaurant in the sort of Smiths Wapping vibe, it's a gift for my father, so nothing too trendy and loud or ideas like foams and emulsions, etc just good normal food

Smith's of Smithfield (not the same as Wapping even though the same name)

Or if you are thinking more Smiths menu in respect of the fish, try Wright Brothers in Borough Market.
Denzil

Postby Nesticles on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:52 am

WHU Independent wrote:Wahacca. Canary Wharf.

Wahaca seems like a pretty good place to go for a variety of vegan/non-vegan options. Any other similar recommendations for a place with good variety ideally close to Central London?
Nesticles

Postby Harry Hound on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:02 am

Nice pic of the view at the duck and waffle, I guess most on here have heard of Mia Khalifa 8-)
Harry Hound

Location: "just a came from nowhere and going straight back there!"

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug