What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby Hemel Iron on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:40 pm

EvilC wrote:Honest Burgers, Kings Cross.

A relatively simple menu, decent food and a nice lager. Pleasant service.

7/10

First two times I had an Honest Burger, I thought they were absolutely amazing. (First time I was pretty drunk though)

More recently I went with a couple of mates who had never been. I was bigging it up, but it was only adequate, rather than very good.

Interestingly I saw a recent FB post from them advertising a new branch opening and someone commented how the quality seems to decrease with every new opening. It makes you wonder sometimes if quick expansion is always the best thing, as the original passion/ethos that drove the quality when they had a street food van only or even when they had the first few restaurants - surely that level is hard to sustain when you are having to hire managers, chefs and waiting staff who may not buy into that ethos as strongly.

Same could be attributed to Five Guys who seem to be popping up everywhere. Not had one for a while, but I did think they were pretty good when I first went, maybe a similar situation.
Hemel Iron

Postby sendô on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:49 pm

Patty & Bun still seems to be decent. Not been there in a while though, will have to pay a visit and get a Smokey Robinson...
sendô

Postby EvilC on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:57 am

The onion rings were sensational, the chips not so much.
EvilC

Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...

Postby Coops on Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:38 am

Hemel Iron wrote:Same could be attributed to Five Guys who seem to be popping up everywhere. Not had one for a while, but I did think they were pretty good when I first went, maybe a similar situation.

Is Five Guys any good?
I have been put off because it looks like a Mcdonalds but charges like a more upmarket burger joint.
Is it worth the extra few quid?
Coops

Postby sendô on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:15 am

Coops wrote:Is Five Guys any good?
I have been put off because it looks like a Mcdonalds but charges like a more upmarket burger joint.
Is it worth the extra few quid?

No, like I said it tastes about as good as Burger King but is 2-3 times the price.
Last edited by sendô on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
sendô

Postby Vince on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:11 am

Went to Aldo and Bruno on Saturday with my sister and brother in law. New Italian in Hornchurch.

Table booked for 9.00pm, eventually sat us down at 9.40 pm.
Appetizers ordered, they forgot my brother in laws. Sisters appetizer of asparagus, wrapped in bruschetta ham on top of a poached egg, the egg was literally black at the bottom, looked like it was cooked on a flat top and burnt.
We ordered two bottles of wine, one white, one red. My sister asked for a glass of ice with her wine. No ice. Asked again, no ice, asked the third time still no ice.
One of the owners came over , sorry for the delay in sitting you, free coffee on the house end of the meal.
Main course: They forgot one of the side dishes on my brother in laws meal.
When they came to clear up, the plates, yep they left my brother in laws plates on the table. They really must have not liked him.
At no time was we asked if we wanted a desert, while we were left finishing our drinks.
After 15-20 minutes we asked for coffee's.Still no one asked if we wanted anything else.
Bill then swiftly followed, only thing they done quickly all night, of course the free coffee's were on the bill.
Got these taken of.

Awful service, worse I have experienced in years, we didn't get out of there until nearly 1.00 am and we didn't even go on the lash ! Food bang average, have no idea if the deserts were any good !

I'm here for another couple of weeks, will not go back there for sure.
Vince

Postby sendô on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:20 am

^ Apparently that's run by the people who used to run Due Frattelli in the town centre - my parents have been there a couple of times and said the food is very good but the service a bit slow. Often the case with new restaurants.
sendô

Postby Vince on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:09 pm

sendô wrote:^ Apparently that's run by the people who used to run Due Frattelli in the town centre - my parents have been there a couple of times and said the food is very good but the service a bit slow. Often the case with new restaurants.

In my opinion food was very average.
Staff seemed to be more interested in having a laugh and joke amongst themselves , rather than taking care of the paying customers.
Vince

Postby Denzil on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:34 pm

Due Fratelli was one of my favourite restaurants in the area and went rapidly downhill.

Funnily enough with the restaurant you mention here, I have spoken to three separate people about it who have absolutely raved about it so I have been dying to try it out, although live out of the area now in Chelmsford so haven't had the opportunity.

Will give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that was a bad outing there but not great to hear!
Denzil

Postby fmgod on Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:48 pm

Went Smiths the other week in Ongar, think about 30 each off the set menu, nice place, good space between tables, just relaxed. Food was top notch, big servings too, couldn't fit desert in, suppose you lose the views of the Wapping one but nice a family meal
fmgod

Postby Vince on Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:33 pm

Denzil wrote:Due Fratelli was one of my favourite restaurants in the area and went rapidly downhill.

Funnily enough with the restaurant you mention here, I have spoken to three separate people about it who have absolutely raved about it so I have been dying to try it out, although live out of the area now in Chelmsford so haven't had the opportunity.

Will give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that was a bad outing there but not great to hear!

Heard the same thing myself from another couple of guys...maybe just an off night, place was slammed, didn't look like that could cope with the amount of people.
Vince

Postby The Collector on Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:04 am

Mac & Wild near Liverpool St. https://www.macandwild.com/mac-wild-devonshire-square/

Fried haggis is breadcrumbs to start with some sort of sweet barbecue sauce was ok but the venison topside served in a skillet was gorgeous. Served medium rare and very tender.

I chose to accompany this with a trio of three small measures of whisky (15ml) which were Bruichladich 10, Glenfiddich 15 and Talisker 10. Ended the meal with a glass of Aberlour A’Bunadh. Cask strength, tread gently here.

Then off to see Katherine Ryan, who was very funny.
The Collector

Postby Chicken Run Supreme on Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:35 am

Posted about this on dinner thread but thought worthy of this thread too.
Last night on the way back from Aberdeen we pulled in to Stonehaven to visit The Bay Fish & Chip Shop for a fish supper. I love my fish and chips and I have to say last night's Haddock and chips was the best I've ever had . The batter was deliciously light and the fish was so fresh to taste, the chips were delicious and the battered onion rings were amazing too. The Bay has won multiple awards for its food and justifiably so, it's a 10 from me.

Also next door to The Bay is Aunty Betties where we went for ice cream after. I can thoroughly recommend the Turkish Delight ice cream. Delicious.
Chicken Run Supreme

Previous

Return to The Snug