New father parenting tips!

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: New father parenting tips!

Postby kenthammer1984 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:00 am

anyone here ever been through court to get a child custody order before?
kenthammer1984

Postby Mega Ron on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:44 pm

Ben wrote:
totally right, we never should have done it in the first place!
when we try that he will just constantly get up and come out of his room, he can unlock the gates etc
I guess we just have to say - no toys tomorrow if you come out of your room etc.

I keep thinking its worth trying some soothing music or audio stories that he can fall asleep to?

I know it's like Jeremy Kyle teaches parenting but do yourself a favour and watch a few episodes of Supernanny. Do what she does. Do it for a week, no excuses, and you'll be sorted.
Mega Ron

Postby Mega Ron on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:46 pm

whuben wrote:Time for some snug advice.

I am divorced with 2 kids (4 & 8), been with my new mrs for 3 years and we are hoping to have a baby next year. The mrs wants to go away with the baby on our own as a family and Ive said if we go with the baby then the other 2 children come as well. She hasnt taken this well, am I being selfish or would you do the same. In all other aspects she is amazing to my 2 kids treats them like her own

I would suggest a compromise. You take two breaks. One with all the children and one with just your new family.
Mega Ron

Postby Ben on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:54 pm

Mega Ron wrote:I would suggest a compromise. You take two breaks. One with all the children and one with just your new family.

that's a good shout, was thinking that may be the best route.
maybe time it so the week you go without your two is when they are at school and then on the next half term take them away :thup:
Ben

Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:12 pm

If you do agree to the holiday with just the new kid, make her promise that it's a one off. Might help to have her explain (or at least co-explain with you) to your other kids why she wants to do it.
DasNutNock

Postby Mega Ron on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Once your other kids are at school I don't see the issue with going away without them term-time.

I'm not sure there's an issue going without them anyway really. Will your ex take baby Carlton with her when she goes away?
Mega Ron

Postby whuben on Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:15 pm

Thanks for the input boys. We have spoke about it and agreed that going on the first holiday once the baby arrives will be all of us going. Going forward I suppose going in term time will at least give me an excuse to not take the other two. I just can't get my head around leaving two behind and taking the new one and how that would make my other two feel.
whuben

Postby Mega Ron on Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:18 pm

whuben wrote:Thanks for the input boys. We have spoke about it and agreed that going on the first holiday once the baby arrives will be all of us going. Going forward I suppose going in term time will at least give me an excuse to not take the other two. I just can't get my head around leaving two behind and taking the new one and how that would make my other two feel.

You're not with them now so you do everything you can to let them know that you'll always be around for them.

If you are planning on having a baby then I would say your current partner will be more inclined to include your two children once she is a mother.

It's not something you need to devote much thinking time to now though.
Mega Ron

Postby whuben on Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:30 pm

Your right mate and no point stressing right now. Thanks for the help everyone
whuben

Postby EugeneSpeed on Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:29 pm

whuben wrote:Time for some snug advice.

I am divorced with 2 kids (4 & 8), been with my new mrs for 3 years and we are hoping to have a baby next year. The mrs wants to go away with the baby on our own as a family and Ive said if we go with the baby then the other 2 children come as well. She hasnt taken this well, am I being selfish or would you do the same. In all other aspects she is amazing to my 2 kids treats them like her own

That's a tough one. Can see both sides. When my Dad started a new family I went on a holiday with my step mum and new half sister and I think it was the start of us becoming close, as I had wanted not much to do with them before that. You might end up having no more kids, but your youngest will already have 2 siblings and that be could be an amazing thing. I don't think of my sister as my 'half sister' but I feel it could have gone the other way quite easily.
EugeneSpeed

Postby Turns to Stone on Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:24 am

Morning gents, just to wanted to let you know that we finally got home with a new junior hammer this morning.

Born by emergency c-section at 02:13 on 25th Sept weighing a hefty 8lb 4. We had to spend 4 days in the hospital as he was on antibiotics (one of the hardest floors I've ever slept on), but finally got him and his mum him yesterday afternoon.

Terrifying stuff of course but absolutely loving it. For any of you expectant Dad's out there, all the fears you have (and I had them all) just drift away as soon as you see them.

Congrats one and all!.
Turns to Stone

Postby matthewbd on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:27 am

Congrats mate.

I'm 11 weeks in and it's the best thing ever (even though she's suffering with a cold at the moment!)
matthewbd

Postby Mega Ron on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:31 am

Congrats mr and mrs TTS and little baby TTS.

I remember mentioning to my wife about taking an inflatable mattress to the maternity ward and she thought I was a lunatic. I regretted it big time.

A mate of mine tried to share the single bed his wife was on while she was having contractions. He pretty much kicked her out of the bed about an hour before the baby was born.

I'm sure that won't be brought up for their entire relationship.
Mega Ron

Postby sendô on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:33 am

Well done and congrats TTS. Hope Mrs TTS is okay, emergency C sections can be rough - she'll be sore for a while.
sendô

Postby Mega Ron on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:35 am

sendô wrote:Well done and congrats TTS. Hope Mrs TTS is okay, emergency C sections can be rough - she'll be sore for a while.

But at least her downstairs are intact :scarfer:
Mega Ron

Postby PF. on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:08 pm

My daughter is 3 in November, and we're expecting a boy in January.

We have a similar problem with trying to get her to sleep as above in that she is used to one of us sitting with her in the bedroom until she falls asleep. I'm generally ok with this though as I get to spend a few minutes just us having a chat.

She does occasionally end up in our bed, usually coming in around 5am, and we probably should stamp this one out. But I'm not overly fussed, there'll be a time in the future when she probably won't even want to speak to me!
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Postby simonpaulthomas on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:36 pm

Congrats TTS and PF, great news.

We had our 20 week scan on Monday, and they confirmed that we're expecting a boy - everything perfectly normal and where it should be. The Mrs' ovarian cyst has also shrunk down to a third of the size it was, so she probably won't have to have surgery on it now after a mandatory caesarean birth. Things are going too well right now...
simonpaulthomas

Postby SirStoneyOfBow on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:02 pm

Excellent news all!

Felt bad you slept on floors TTS.

Living in the USA, health insurance kicked in so we had the pleasure of paying for a room/on suite bathroom and I at least get a sofa bed to sleep on, cable TV and Wi-Fi as well and could take a shower every morning.
Our bill before insurance kicked in was $12,000 which included an epidural. That was reduced to $1,250.
Still paying it back in installments, btw. :P
SirStoneyOfBow

Previous

Return to The Snug